Morris C8GS

Rick W

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks all. Couple more photos. Now that the engine runs, feels like we are on the downward slope now! Cooling system is now the next job. Its all very well adding bits to it but it has to be pushed in and out of our workshop at the moment, and its getting heavier! So if we could drive it in and out it would make life easier. A working radiator has had to be "manufactured" out of 2. One that didnt leak and didnt have a mounting bracket at the bottom, and the original which did have a bracket but had cracked cores. I think the technical term is "cut and shut"!

restoblog034.jpg

Also as it was a quiet day I thought I would clean up the wheel and tyre that was waiting to be fitted, they all look fairly dirty, (yes I know that they are meant to be!), but I thought Id try a bit of tyre cleaner to see what difference it made. It worked well and the end result was a blacker looking tyre, so they are all getting the treatment.

Half clean/Half not.

restoblog035.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Radiator fitted after having raised it a jot with the addition of several "spatial void displacers" , washers to you and me. Its on the ramp having the front brake shoes and cylinders refitted and the brake lines refitted.

restoblog037.jpg

Front brakes fitted, wheels on, nuts red! Trial fitting radiator cowl and side panel. Throttle cable attached and working now we have found the clip which holds it onto bodywork!

restoblog038.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Brakes are all plumbed in and work a treat, but weve got a fluid leak at the master cylinder, looks like we may need a new one, or at the very least this one rebored. If anyone has a spare please get in touch. Apart from that it is running fine, smoky start ups havegone and it is driving in and out of the workshop and even managed a trip round our car park! Video to follow.

Hi Rick

Well done sounds like you have been busy. I have just finished rebuilding my second engine, and about to blast the chassis, windscreen nearly finished as is cab, so once the engine goes in it should all be pretty quick, I might even catch up with you!

Anyway going back to the master cylinder problem, mine on my first one weeps slightly although i fitted a new overhaul kit, the bore was very slightly pitted, it is not too much of a problem, i keep the cylinder full and it losses very little. however I expect this would be an MoT fail?

My second Master Cylinder for this project is also pited, a rebore by Powertrack would cost £180 ! So I thought I would buy one of those new old stock later Morris MC's from John Walker. all very nice but a real head scratcher to fit, not to mention getting the right male fittings to go on the pipe ends!

The MC that you and I have & are original to our 1944 C8's are the same as the 3 1/2 Ltr

Blower Bentleys, so hence the cost!

By the way after blasting my Radiator hose, I to have holes in it so am also faced with making that odd pipe!

Jules

Good to hear! We've been busy making the cab today, long process, but Stuart has been doing excellent work. I think we will see how badly the MC is leaking, Im sure a rebore would cost less than that, we will see how it goes. Starter button melted down the other day, so need a replacement, have you had any problems with yours? Have you got any photos of yours you can email or post up so I can see what you are doing? As for the MOT questionIm sure it lies in how the vehicle is registered, not that it qualifies for a lot. A friend of mine has declared his Unimog as agricultural so is exempt from a lot of items including front number plates. Im wondering what weight John and everyone has declared their vehicle as and for what use?

The argument about NOS and rebore cylinders, is do you buy a 60 year old one, that may have it's own problems. Or get someone like pastparts to rebore with stainless steel synthetic seals, fully garunted, original case, fit and forget.

I agree with Tony here. If anyone were to find a NOS cylinder, the seals should be renewed before use at all costs. Also if you are getting a slight weep after resealing a cyl with slight corrosion marks in the bore, it will quickly get worse, as every time the seal pass the pitted area it will wear the lip of the seal.

Richard