Morris C8GS

Rick W

A chap i know got his old tyres off by putting the whole wheel on a fire. This would of course create an enormous cloud of black smoke so he did it night. It still created a black cloud, but i guess no one could see it. I would be a bit worried that the heat would cause the wheel to distort or weaken. Best off using a nice bit of kit like that press.

Fantastic job. Well done. One of my favourite WW2 vehicles.

Tim (too)

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 4 weeks later...

A bit of action on the Morris this week. Really want to get it running for more than a few seconds, so a few things a being actioned this week. After sussing out the electrics a bit and studying the wiring diagram, it is clear that some bodywork around the engine needs to be in place to attach some of the wiring onto for dynamo, starter, regulator etc. Iv'e wired up the control panel for the light switch, and started to attach the fabricated bits of front body panels.

ebayprim016.jpg

This panel seemed to be the first logical one to do as it sits under the regulator. Given a choice of laying the panel in place, marking the holes to drill out in one go, or drilling one hole, bolting in place, marking another hole and repeating the process, I opted for the latter. It was a long job doing it this way, but in retrospect a better way as I didnt end up with lots of misplaced holes in a panel. The strut was easily made from a bit of copper tubing from the local DIY store.

restoblog012.jpg

A quick update and pic. The opposite side panel and support was fabricated over the weekend. The replacement Electronic ignition (Correct one) has been fiited. We are waiting on the panel which runs 3/4 of the way around the bulkhead which the windscreen surround sites on. The windscreens are being made. £36 for a pair in laminated glass I thought wasnt too bad. With the windscreen glass in place I can tackle the surround itself. The large coolant pipe has also gone to another engineer to be fabricated- probably out if stainless steel. (If anyone wants one let me know.). Now the front panels are in place the ignition electrics can be wired up.

restoblog018.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks ;-)

After a short break of not being able to do much recently, things are starting to happen again. The truck has been in a short tern storage but is due back to us before the end of the week. In the meantime Ive collected the mudwings which were handmade in Manchester, collected a fairly intact radiator surround from Julian over near Oxford and Stu "Tinsnips" has been repairing the doors. Pic of one in progress, the other side had rotted out in the same place so looks fairly similar to this one.

Rear

restoblog022.jpg

Front

restoblog023.jpg

We've started to look at repairing the cab now. Heavily corroded in places. The most difficult job is going to be fabricating the sides of the cab, but the plan is to wait for the chassis to return and start rebuilding it from the chassis up.

The cab, with floor side up.

restoblog020.jpg

True one most be willing to go slowly and mark their progress in small steps . I can understand the flat panels being straight foreward but there must be some bending of reinforcements too? do you have a local body shop or metal fabrication shop that can custom make those parts for you at a reasonable price ? I m thinking that would be simpler than a gas torch vice and pipe .

We're not that barbaric! We can do most of the bodywork on site ,(the benefits of being a vehicle repair workshop!), the only bit so far that has been shipped out for fabrication is the scuttle cover which is a very long piece and has been reinforced.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't guess any of those are available on the t.o. , or n.o.s. market ?or are they ?

After many weeks searching I came to the conclusion that they werent!

Thanks Tony, Ive taken a precaution of tying a big fat label with your wise words on it in case we forget! Thanks ;-)

The dynamo came back from the electricians today. I only wanted a quote to recon it, but had a phone call to say it was ready! I am now £235 lighter in pocket, ouch! :-(. At least I know for sure its all done properly and working OK.

width=640 height=480http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o72/rik242_2006/restoblog026.jpg[/img]

EEEEek. :schocked: :sweat: been thinking of getting mine recon'd, getting tired, red light dimly staying on when driving about, although not when on tick over;.....belt correctly tensioned, etc.