CVR(T) Spartan 03FF85

sirhc

I thought it was about time I posted some photos of the Spartan we are currently tidying up for W&P this year. Last year we sold our petrol Spartan, 48AT14, and I was lucky enough to be at Withams just a couple of days after the first diesel vehicles arrived last August. We ended up buying a running but scruffy Spartan.

20140308_124025.jpg

IMG_7455.jpg

IMG_5553.jpg

It would only steer in one direction and struggled to select a gear. Both problems were fixed within a couple of hours of it being delivered by a new master cylinder and tightening up the gear change pedal bolts. We had some fun racing it round the farm tracks so decided to take it down the road to the house to start the paint job. This did not go well and it broke down just yards from the drive way and we required the help of Andy's RB44 to push it on the drive.

20140308_164423.jpg

Taking the top off the fuel tank revealed the usual Spartan fuel problems.. it was full of the usual mess. I replaced and the filters and ran the pump only for the filters to block before there was enough fuel in the injector pump to start it.

20140322_142902.jpg

I will eventually clean out the fuel tank and filter the diesel so we can hopefully use it, there is a good half a tank of it in there, but for now I have fitted another plastic fuel tank. I still need to strap it in place securely but for now it has got the vehicle back up and running.

IMG_7456.jpg

Working on the fuel problem revealed the starter motor was a bit dodgy, so we took the decks off to have a look. While I was there I gave it all a good clean. We fixed the starter using parts from another one, but it didn't last long and is now replaced with a shiny reconditioned one.

SAM_5057.jpg

The next job was to give the vehicle a good rub down and blow it over with some light stone paint. If we had more time ideally it would get a bare metal respray as the paint was pretty rough underneath, but this will do for now. I still need to paint the wheels and suspension, apply some BATUS markings, number plates etc but I think we should be on track to make it to W&P providing nothing else goes wrong!

SAM_5096.jpg

SAM_5100.jpg

There is a video of it on youtube here:

Chris

Thanks for the comments guys, hopefully the next photos will be of it finished.

Robin - no photos of it anywhere yet. I have my Sabre waiting in the wings if the Spartan has any issues!

Chris

We were very lucky yesterday that the rain held off so I could finish spraying. We swapped some wheels around, a few were in a bad way, and then removed the tracks. Everything was given a good clean. I noticed a bolt missing from one of the sprockets so that was replaced and then it was time for more light stone paint.

IMG_7748.jpg

IMG_7749.jpg

IMG_7751.jpg

We then put the tracks back on and drove it backwards a few feet to paint the bits of the wheels and hubs I missed. I have bought a compressed air powered grease gun which really makes tensioning the tracks easier.

The next job was the number plates, a job I hate doing as it takes ages to get everything lined up and I never quite get it exactly right. I think it's close enough for now. The BATUS zap numbers did not go quite to plan as my stencil, cut from vinyl, ended up peeling off the black paint. I will probably just cut the numbers from white vinyl and stick them onto the black squares instead.

IMG_7753.jpg

I still need to put some rear mud flaps on but they were buried in some boxes of stuff so that's a job for next time. I also need to clean out the inside and bolt some Clansman intercom boxes in.

IMG_7754.jpg

Chris

• 1 month later...

All jobs completed and ready for W&P. I was planning on putting more markings on it, but these will do for the time being. Looking forward to the show now, are any other people bringing CVRTs?

Chris

IMG_8270.jpg

IMG_8271.jpg

Hey Chris!

Very nice Job! Looks really good, i want to repaint my Spartan after the Shows this year. :DSpartan verschieben Raffi 058.jpg

I'm not sure about the Color, British green with black, sandstone or let it Belgium style?

What do you guys think about it?

Raffz

Robin - I can't take it to W&P looking too scruffy! It's still full of graffiti inside and the paint is flaking already as I didn't strip it all off, but it looks good from a distance!

Raffz - I like to put vehicles back to how they would have been when in service, usually I paint them in the same colours I found them. I would try and keep the original scheme and markings.

Chris

• 4 months later...

It's been a long time since I updated this thread.. needless to say the Spartan made it to W&P, other than a leak from the heater matrix there were no issues. We did the road run through Hythe which was enjoyable, other than the crazy 432 driver I had to follow!

Here's a video of us enjoying the arena... I just love the diesel exhaust note in the on board footage!

And some photos too..

IMG_8313.jpg

IMG_8368.jpg

IMG_8412.jpg

IMG_8454.jpg

Work before next year is to fix the leaky heater matrix, and repair some unfortunate damage to the rear end. I'm not sure if it will be going back to W&P next year, if I'll get the Scimitar down there, or if we don't take either of them.

Chris

• 5 months later...
Chris, thanks as always for the inspiring photos.

I'm curious, what is the box mounted at the top of your hull, rear-left corner, replacing the vision-block?

thanks,

P_

External connection box for the Bowman radios.

Ah, interesting.

I happen to have one of those boxes and it looked obviously comms. but I've been waist-deep in mechanical issues so not even begun to ponder radio equipment, I just know it must be 100+lbs.

thanks,

Chris,

Looking at the pix of it on your driveway, I have to ask: are those pavers? If so, doesn't the weight of the machine or track action damage the surface? I have pavers on my driveway, they are just dry laid on gravel and sand, but interlock like yours. So I am wondering whether driving a Fox on them would be too risky.

Edited by datadawg

Chris,

Looking at the pix of it on your driveway, I have to ask: are those pavers? If so, doesn't the weight of the machine or track action damage the surface? I have pavers on my driveway, they are just dry laid on gravel and sand, but interlock like yours. So I am wondering whether driving a Fox on them would be too risky.

That's block paving on my parents drive. Been keeping AFVs on it for years and it's not had any bad effects, except for a few oil leaks, but that's mostly from the Land Rovers.

• 2 months later...

Time for another update.

After last years W&P show I had some repair work to do to the rear of the vehicle after a loading incident on the return journey. Some new parts were painted and fitted which solved that issue.

I had another issue with one of the tillers requiring a lot more travel than the other. After re-bleeding the steering it was no better, so I fitted a pair of brand new master cylinders, again no better. At this point we noticed a leak from the radiator, so decided to swap it for a good spare. This was when we noticed the pins holding the pads in place on the calliper with the issue were very rusty. A quick clean with some scotchbrite and the issue was gone! I have since fitted some new pins, but worth checking if you have the same problem.

Transport to the show this year was cancelled at the last minute, but Rex stepped in at the 11th hour and got our vehicles down there.

IMG_0123.jpg

During the road run on the Wednesday evening the fan started to get louder and louder, I was praying that it would survive until we got back to the showground. As I was driving through the town I heard a noise and then a pinging sound as something bounced around the engine bay. When I hit the throttle pedal it was slack. A quick check showed that the nut which holds the ball joint onto the injector pump for the throttle cable had come off, not the problem I was expecting to have!

We always travel prepared, so the A frame was fitted and we were towed back to the camp site by Andy's Striker.

IMG_9676.jpg

The road from the middle of Hythe to the showground is all uphill, and some of it steep. Andy was pouring with sweat by the time we got back, after doing 10mph at 3000rpm for around half an hour in the drivers seat of the Striker!

IMG_9679.jpg

To get to the throttle cable, the top deck has to come off. Not too difficult when there are some spare hands around the place. I was amazed how many more people came and looked / photographed the vehicle when it was in pieces than when it was together and working!

IMG_0141.jpg

This is what was left of the fan bearings. I had seen some fans in the stalls the previous day, but when I went to go and get one they were all gone. I tracked down the German man who bought them all, who refused to sell me one. We then took a trip to Ashford bearings, who tried and failed to get the fan apart. Plan B was to get the spare fan from home, so my Dad drove the 400 mile round trip to go and get it.

IMG_20150724_055154447.jpg

While he was gone I replaced the belts with a new one I found in the stalls. Worth doing while it was in bits, and finding a difficult to source bit in the stalls was a bonus.

IMG_0142.jpg

After loosing out playing in the arena on Thursday, the Spartan performed well on Friday and Saturday. It is now caked in mud, which I still have to clean, but I am very pleased we made the effort to take it to the show, despite the break down in Hythe. Life would be boring if we didn't have these adventures!

IMG_9689.jpg

Edited by sirhc

And here it is enjoying two different ground conditions in the arena. I must admit to being one of those that took a good look at the inner workings of the Spartan when you were working on it.

Scott

IMG_8865.jpg

IMG_0656.jpg

Edited by Smithy

Looking good Chris - funny how these events make the most memorable shows! Petrol rescues diesel eh? I bet it wasnt just the heat from the engine making Andy sweat! Quick questions 1) is the fan the same on the diesel? 2) did you disconnect the drive shafts or not feel the need?

Oh, and what on earth is the german fella going to do with all those cvrt fans!?

Tim

Hi Tim,

The fan is the same but the belt pulley is different as the belt teeth are circular rather than square. You can swap the pulley over if required, but my spare fan came off the Sturgeon I bought for spares.

http://www.thexmod.com/item_detail.asp?id=1582

We didn't disconnect the drive shafts as we were only going a short distance at low speed, plus we were blocking a roundabout and it was getting late. No issues with the gearbox since.

I guess there must be a shortage of fans in Germany, I've got new bearings to fix the broken one in stock now so I'll do that before next year.

Chris