Dodge WC owners.............

Jack

So where are all the WC owners? We have a broad range of vehicles on here but not much talked about WC's..............could someone get on with it as I would to buy one next year :shock: so I could do with a 'buyers guide' :lol:

Cheers

Jack.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Jack,

I have two,an August 42 WC-56 and an October 43 WC-52. what would you like to know?!!

They are going up in price,I'd go for a WC-51 or 52 or a WC-54 Ambulance.you can still pick one up in fair condition for around the £2500 mark,Command cars run £10,000 to £18,000.

Spares are easy enough to get from the US with the exception of some body parts.always go for body condition over mechanical condition.

Any questions just ask!!

Matt.

Nice one Matt.

I have been reading a wonderful book on how Dodge had a massive input during WW2 and the WC really does look like a remarkable piece of equipment. You tend think that these things were just 'thrown' together but they really did go through intensive R&D. It states that they were initially designed as a weapons carrier, i.e. a mortar and a gun platform, they soon found that this just didn't work and they become a general all rounder but the name stayed the same.

They are an interesting vehicle,the flathead six Chrysler is a very basic design.I like them,easy to work on,plenty of info around and as I say parts are easy enough.

Matt.

Jack,that's correct,although they were still used by officers behind the lines.mine was the personal vehicle of the CO of the 1229th Quartermaster Co,467th Bomb Group based at Rackheath,Norfolk.

Matt.

Jack,that's correct,although they were still used by officers behind the lines.mine was the personal vehicle of the CO of the 1229th Quartermaster Co,467th Bomb Group based at Rackheath,Norfolk.

Matt.

Do you know when they started not to use them on the front line and what did they use instead?

Jack,I don't know when they stopped using them,if in fact they did completely.I would guess it was just in front line units and higher ranking officers visiting the front.Jeeps were widely used,I guess as they didn't stand out.

USAAF officers usually used Ford Fordor sedans,does anyone know of any of these in the UK? ever seen one at a show? in a scrap yard? most "restored" staff cars seem to be post war imports painted as staff cars.

Matt.

Hi Jack i fall into the category of an ex Dodge owner.....my WC52 had a good history as she was a Norwegian import but was originally a WC55 or M6 Gun Motor Carraige with the 37mm gun on the back..she still retained all the early features ....high sided seats ..re enforced chassis and early steering wheels etc etc....

and was one of the earliest Dodges in the country with a chassis number of 81529098...considering production of the 3/4 ton WC series started at 8152901 that made her the 97th Dodge off of the production line....:-)

But then i had a complete no brainer and sold it and went and brought a scra.....piece of ****..... a complete nightmare...oh sorry a Jeep...... :wink:

Regards

Lloyd

Hi Jack

This my WC51 shes called Dotty

961bf86d.jpg

Dotty was manufactured in 1942 and then after ww2 used by the norwegain army.

This is my first military vehicle and i didnt really know much about mechanics but dodges are very simple to work on like matt said. Im learning all the time and the great thing is that parts are easy to acquire. :)

Best Regards

Rowan

Hi Rowan,

Dodge WC's are the only WW2 truck that I know of where the build card for each and every truck built is still in existence and can be obtained.the date on the card will be the date the truck was built not the date it was delivered.the build cards do not have the hood (bonnet) number as that was added by the military when the truck was delivered.they do have chassis number,engine number and body tag number and as I say the build date.

Yves (777AAA) could you post the scan of the build card you sent me??

Rowan if you PM me your chassis number and body tag number I'll compare it to data I have.

Nice looking truck BTW!

Matt.

Tyler just a shot in the dark........

A Wc51/52 is capable of towing a fully laden 1 ton Ben Hur trailer

a Wc62/63 is capable of towing the 3 ton 57mm anti tank gun + crew

I can fully guaruntee that a WC will tow more as i towed a broken down M8 armored car with mine and they weigh in at 7 tons...... :shock:

But i wouldnt want to do it for long....... :wink:

Regards

Lloyd