Swapping SLR furniture

lozzaboy

Does anyone know if its possible to swap over the furniture from a later black plastic with that of an earlier wooden one on a late spec de act? The reason I ask is currently I have one of each (lucky me lol :-D ) but when I place them in my swb 2a ffr/Rover 8 the plastic one does seem out of place for it (too new) so would rather swap the furniture over for shows if its possible rather then buy another one given prices now

From memory, the parts are relatively easy to remove (one screw up near the gas reg will separate the had gaurd and one screw in the bottom of the pistol grip), so you could always just give it a try (I have no idea if they will fit or not, but I assume so). Changing the carry handle is a pain though, so it'd probably be best to leave the standard one on there.

Cheers,

Terry

Although mine were parts kits assembled into working rifles, the wooden furniture on one could be swapped with the pebblegrain plastic furniture from the other. If I recall, a slot head screw driver was needed to remove the pistol grip, butt plate & hand guard. If you don't have the recoil spring in yours then a large flat head screw driver should suffice instead of the buttstock removal tool to remove that part as well.

I do miss my L1A1s.....:cry:

Matt

Although mine were parts kits assembled into working rifles, the wooden furniture on one could be swapped with the pebblegrain plastic furniture from the other. If I recall, a slot head screw driver was needed to remove the pistol grip, butt plate & hand guard. If you don't have the recoil spring in yours then a large flat head screw driver should suffice instead of the buttstock removal tool to remove that part as well.

I do miss my L1A1s.....:cry:

Matt

They were a first class rifle indeed.

The SLR was designed at a time when small arms were designed to kill and a 7.62mm round from it could take out anyone with one shot. So I'm told the SA80 was designed on the basis that a smaller calibre bullet would allow a man to carry more rounds. Also the idea in the Cold war was to wound rather than kill so that two men would help the wounded man and so that might get three men away from the fighting! Well that's the theory but sadly experience in Iraq and Afghanistan has shown that sometimes it has taken as much as 10 rounds to down a man charging forwards like a crazed suicide bomber!

The SLR was designed at a time when small arms were designed to kill and a 7.62mm round from it could take out anyone with one shot. So I'm told the SA80 was designed on the basis that a smaller calibre bullet would allow a man to carry more rounds. Also the idea in the Cold war was to wound rather than kill so that two men would help the wounded man and so that might get three men away from the fighting! Well that's the theory but sadly experience in Iraq and Afghanistan has shown that sometimes it has taken as much as 10 rounds to down a man charging forwards like a crazed suicide bomber!

The 7.62 x 51 cartridge is the U.S. .30 cartridge of WW2 vintage, shortened by about 0.25" due to improved propellants.

That's the theory, anyway.

The reality is that it allowed the USA to retain their existing tooling - just shorten the chambering reamers, etc. - and take over much of the western arms industry with the resultant head start. It's far too powerful for the original purpose, and was only accepted due to politics.

7mm (e.g: .280 Ross) was far better from a ballistics/weight of ammunition point of view, and the standard infantry rifle didn't need the 1km range (most fighting during WW2 and since has happened at 300 metres or less).

The EM-2 was the real answer but the politicians killed it (and then the Enfield design team had to make the SLR work properly, just to add insult to injury). :-(

Chris.

Does anyone know if its possible to swap over the furniture from a later black plastic with that of an earlier wooden one on a late spec de act? The reason I ask is currently I have one of each (lucky me lol :-D ) but when I place them in my swb 2a ffr/Rover 8 the plastic one does seem out of place for it (too new) so would rather swap the furniture over for shows if its possible rather then buy another one given prices now

You may well encounter a difficulty, when it comes to removing the pistol grip from your Late spec Deac SLR.

The Hammer is welded down onto the Change lever (Safety Catch, to the Uninisitated!) This will block access to the head of the PG retaining screw!.........