A friend brought this plug that had seen very little use but was failing to function. I applied 5Kv to it but no sparking so as it was coated with carbon I cleaned it with abrasive grit.

DSC07111 (Medium).JPG

Abrasive cleaning should be done for the minimum time so as not to damage the insulator but even so has the effect smoothing the electrodes making it a little more difficult for the spark to jump. So really the electrodes should be filed to restore them to a flat sharp edged profile. Cleaned with meths & re-gapped. I didn't bother with that as I felt 5Kv should find its way across the gap anyway.

But I could not get a spark. I measured the internal through resistance of the centre electrode & this was quite normal at 1.5 k ohms. There was no measurable resistance from the centre electrode to the outer until I got above 1 Kv (something that would not be revealed using a multimeter). But still no spark although I could hear a weak buzzing noise from the plug.

I dismantled the plug & was disappointed to see that the grit blasting had not reached the deeper recesses of the insulator.

DSC07133 (Large).JPG

However this should not matter too much, but in this instance it did. Because blasting the extracted insulator showed the circumferential crack that was allowing a spark through.

DSC07181 (Medium).JPG

So it seems the only way to test a plug out of the engine is to apply at least 5 Kv & see if there is a spark. So if anybody wants any plugs tested it is a very simple matter & I will be happy to test any at the various shows which so far are:

Overlord

Evesham

W&P

GDSF

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...