Nothing musical Derek

I've got pipes on the brain at the moment due to the Millin-Montgomery 70th Voyage which is scheduled to dock in the marina in Conwy tomorrow. This is the site where a lot of early research and subsequent manufacture of the Mulberry Harbours took place.

I've got pipes on the brain at the moment due to the Millin-Montgomery 70th Voyage which is scheduled to dock in the marina in Conwy tomorrow. This is the site where a lot of early research and subsequent manufacture of the Mulberry Harbours took place.

That was certainly clever stuff.

Removable insulator possibly?

Sealed down with a backing ring, before the two-part lodges appeared?

Alec

This is the inside of an RSN12Y Alec, but there is something special about this particular insulator.

The circumfrential black ring?

Yes Alec absolutely correct & hidden from view until dismantled

A cracked insulator, someone being careless with plug leads? Alec
On an unscreened plug Alec you could be quite right. But in this instance I think it must have been dropped as this screened plug protects the insulator. But you are right that careless use of the plug leads can cause trouble even on a screened plug as the mica collar can get abraded & tracking occur. The worst thing to do is to blow air into the plug socket as this can rip the mica away & shred it or at least make it thinner.