Land Rover Series 3 Restoration

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Have to admit - I personally think in the ex-mils look better without them. Do you have the mitary headlamps with provision for fitting the IR filters??

I have no idea what any of that means lol

Lets put I simple.

The military headlights and bowls were different to civvy ones and the way the fit are different.

You have a series of metal rings around them which you can see in the pictures on your first post.

The outer most ring has 3 screws that were used to mount infra red lenses used in conjunction with night vision googles.

There was a toggle switch on the central light switch mounting which put the vehicle lights into IR mode.

With this type of headlight the plastic shroud does not fit as far as I can tell

Of corse the CL versions tended to have the as they were basically civvy ones.

Mike

IM pretty sure they only had two screws in the outer rings but I will check and let you know. Makes no odds anyway as the inner rings around the lights were rusted to hell and I have bought some replacement civvy ones for it. The halogen conversion has already been done by someone in the past as well.

I will be putting up a picture about the light switch soon as its the military one with about eight different settings...non of which I have a clue with and the only setting I will need is the "normal" driving conditions one!

As Neil has mentioned the most used is H.S.T. the others you will need are S.T and OFF

Simple to decipher.

H = Headlight

S = Side light (front)

T = Tail lights

Conv. = Convoy light (illuminates white differential cover on rear axle.

Mike

Pottering

Main

Posted by min200 Wed, July 09, 2014 12:23:32

You have got to love this dry weather! It's given me time to just potter with the landy and it's amazing how much you can get done when you are not trying to get anything in particular sorted out!

The drivers door needed the restraining bar refitting...

003_zpsbfbae11d.jpg

But it needed new holes drilling before I could fit the end cap on.

005_zpseb61f244.jpg

Then I refitted the air intake mesh. I am wondering whether or not to paint the screws green or just leave them silver...

004_zps736c513e.jpg

Then onto the front of the roof. When I was painting it I realised that there were a few holes there where rivets had been before so the easiest way forward was to replace the missing rivets.

0062_zps81e43004.jpg

I took a look at my watch and time was heavily still on my side so I decided it was time to sort out the drivers side wing mirror.

0072_zps351060fe.jpg

0082_zps438fb558.jpg

Surprising what effect these little changes have on the whole motor!

Now it was onto the headlights which as it turns out are the standard military issue ones that differ from the civvy ones in just about every way! Luckily I had already bought the replacement headlamp frames and they were still attached to sealed units and headlight cones. I stripped out the military ones

009_zps719be6ab.jpg

And set to fitting the civvy standards remembering to use the correct fittings and wiring. I also took the opportunity to fit the halogen conversion lamps that have been in the shed for a couple of months and the headlamp surrounds.

010_zps7788797f.jpg

011_zps1c82adeb.jpg

It's only starting to look like a proper Land Rover again! Still so much to do but I love the way its starting to look complete again!

Your steering drag link and track rod look a bit of a strange shape, a bit bent! looks like someone has lifted up the front with a forklift and bent them

Couldn't agree more and its on my "to do" list which is indeed a long list. Once the painting has been finished inside I will be onto the mechanical rebuild...

More Green

Main

Posted by min200 Thu, July 10, 2014 12:08:41

I started the day having to look at the electrics of this bloody thing...

002_zps84ca4f2c.jpg

Seeing as the low beam lights had decided they were not going to work anymore it took priority because I use it daily as my hack for work. After a bit of trying to get my ape like hands in small places it turns out it needs a new relay so that will have to be sorted at the weekend.

Still onto the Landy because lets face it you don't want to be reading about a motorbike do you...

Today was another painting day!! Yay me!! More green paint to scrape off of my arms because I tend to get more on me than on the surface I am supposed to! The lucky areas today were the inside of the doors and in all fairness they needed it because they looked like this..

003_zpseceb7317.jpg

006_zpsb36f6260.jpg

005_zpse731528a.jpg

With the sun facing the right way and a good breeze it didn't take to long to put a couple of coats on both the doors and my arms.

009_zps156a336b.jpg

008_zpsc8b6daa6.jpg

007_zpscd834022.jpg

Whilst I was throwing the paint about I thought I may as well give the inside that's not still covered in half stuck on and rotting sound proofing a couple of coats...

010_zps6fec23f9.jpg

011_zps8fd2a0ea.jpg

It does tidy it all up though! Trying to save some money I have started to soak the one rear window rubber that's covered in paint in a bucket of soapy water for a couple of days...

001_zps04d67589.jpg

This is an old trick I picked up years ago it lifts the paint away from the rubber making it easy to remove and should save me a tenner or so because I should only need to buy one now.

The problem with this fitting in the rebuild before going to work is my shed is taking a hit and is a right bloody mess...

012_zps6fc70bf0.jpg

Well that's my excuse for being a lazy arsed git who doesn't want to tidy it up anyway.

Water Tight...Well sort of.

Main

Posted by min200 Sat, July 12, 2014 19:52:29

Today I have had the pleasure of working an early shift in the office which gives me the pleasurable opportunity to greet all of the night shift drivers returning back to base. These guys are a special breed of folk that work the night shift because inflicting them on the general public during the day would be considered a cruel and criminal act to anyone they encountered in fact if I called these guys the most miserable bastards on the planet it really would be an insult to the most miserable bastards on the planet.

They are singularly the most ignorant and unpleasant folk I have ever met and quite frankly they are a waste of air but I just smile and be jolly in their company because this really seems to piss them off.

two o'clock soon came around and an eight hour day is a really short one in my world so I arrived home happy in spite of the nose to tail traffic on the ring road. Wifey was in and doing chores so I sat down to open the post that turned up at the same time I did. In amongst all of the flyers for pizzas and mobile phone contract offers was the new window seal for the back quarter I had ordered and seeing as I had cleaned up the other one I had soaking yesterday I set about fitting the rear windows to the Landy.

Thankfully I still had the window seal insert tool from my rebuilding mini days which made the task nice and straight forward along with the hot day that kept the rubber nice and pliable. I remember trying to put the seal insert in on a really cold day once, I soon gave up on that idea and waited for the days to warm!

001_zps9184360a.jpg

So with those windows fitted it should make my Landy water tight again...well as watertight as any Land Rover gets...ummm ok then it will stop any puddles coming back where the windows were not fitted before.

Wifey and the girls were sat n the back garden by the time this was done so I sat with them cleaning up the old Discovery wheels I had bought getting them ready for some anti rust painting.

002_zpsf3b1d727.jpg

There were six wheels like the one in the picture but even I am not dull enough to take pictures of them all!

Right I'm off to a party So depending on the hangover status I may or may not get anything done tomorrow!

Landy Project Costs

Land Rover £375

Sanding Discs £11.70

Ignition Barrel £20

Heritage letter £21.75

2x Batteries and rear 1/4 light £35

Pair Battery Terminal Clamps £3.99

Floor pan nuts & bolts £6.50

Grinding disc £2.25

Under Seal £8.99

Complete set of lights £85

5 Litres Primer £24.99

4 Discovery Wheels £10.20

Rear Door £21.00

Front Door £20.00

Handbrake spring £1.50

2 Discovery wheels

Two seatbelts

Wing Mirror

2 Headlight surrounds

2 headlight frames £60

2 Front Doors £60

Nato Green Paint £36

Rear Window Seal and insert £9.99

TOTAL £812.86

You keep the old parts on a heap? if possible please do so, it might be usefull to bodge other items with.

my money got spend after tonights engine failure, i need to fix my door with a cut out of a good ish door frame :)

your old bits might be my rescue.

cheers,

Arjan

Rusty Wheels

Main

Posted by min200 Tue, July 15, 2014 10:53:26

Funds are running a little low this month now so I had to look for a job I could do with what I had to hand today and the options were rather limited.

In all honestly I couldn't be bothered with the idea of painting six wheels on both sides with anti rust primer so I took the dog for a walk.

After a gentle stroll around the park I got back and no other options had miraculous presented themselves so I got the paint out.

They looked like rusty crap to start...

027_zps22bd1465.jpg

but with a little time they soon looked alright....

028_zps9a894cbc.jpg

029_zps5e3a2890.jpg

In all fairness it only took an hour to do all six.

030_zps054f593e.jpg

as soon as they are dry I best be putting them away as Wifey wont think they are very nice as garden ornaments. I'm thinking of matt silver as the colour rather than anything shiny.

Gardening

Main

Posted by min200 Thu, July 17, 2014 14:24:59

Well the back garden got to the point where I couldn't ignore the mess anymore and the constant nagging about it was getting tiresome so first job of the day was to tidy that up.

This involved lots of sweating because its a sun trap out there and loading up the junk into the Dacia Sandero for the dump run.

It amazes me how much crap you can fit in a small car when you stack it right well that and the determination I was only going to make one trip!

Whilst tidying up I came across something that had come with my Land Rover so I put it to one side so I could finally find out what it is.

006_zps390b2165.jpg

As it turns out it is a "Snow Blind" which makes sense seeing as the Landy has the Artic heater in it. Its of no use to me at all but a search on Ebay showed up nothing similar so I suppose there is either no call for these at all or they are difficult to come by. Either way I shall throw it up for sale to try and get some more funds together for the project.

So after the big tidy up and lawn mowing session I wondered what to do with the rest of my day off. As you may have noticed its bloody hot so nothing else too strenuous was ever on the cards and after a wander around the Landy I noticed I needed to refit the rear door strap. So I drilled a couple of new holes and hey presto strap fitted.

011_zps38412c28.jpg

Then I decided it's too damned hot to do bugger all else and am now hiding indoors with a packet of ice poles :)

• 3 weeks later...

I have been rather quiet of late for two reasons. The first is that I ran out of cash early last month to spend on the Landy and the second is we had to go on holiday with the kids to Spain for the pleasures of an all inclusive poolside holiday in Benidorm.

Now I know that sounds like me moaning and being ungrateful but I can think of more interesting things to do than sit beside a pool for a week trying not to get up and give other peoples obnoxious kids a good clout around the ear hole but seeing as I don't really drink now getting pissed daily isn't an option and my god it's amazing how quickly you get fed up of eating! Still I am lucky enough to be able to go away and for that I am grateful so here isn't the place to go on about my holiday...just pop over to my blog site to hear me do that lol.

So after doing all of the fun things that you have to do when you get back from a family holiday like picking up two carrier bags of dog **** because the dog sitter "Forgot", cleaning out three different sorts of other **** from the various pets dotted around the house and fuelling up the motorbike ready for work in the morning I had an hour spare so I snuck off to see the Landy. I had ordered some wire connectors so I spent some happy quiet time fitting those to the nearside indicator, side and headlights. I connected the batteries and let there be light!

001_zps0756cfbb.jpg

The indicators only work on the offside if you hold the indicator stalk in just the right place and there are no hazard or fog lights working but at least the new headlights I fitted work!

I will plod along with the light wiring as and when I get a chance in between bigger jobs. I have just been paid so I best prioritise what to fix mechanically first so all ideas are welcome!

Landy Project Costs

Land Rover £375

Sanding Discs £11.70

Ignition Barrel £20

Heritage letter £21.75

Grinding disc £2.25

Under Seal £8.99

5 Litres Primer £24.99

Rear Door £21.00

Front Door £20.00

Handbrake spring £1.50

2 Discovery wheels

Two seatbelts

Wing Mirror

2 Headlight surrounds

2 headlight frames £60

2 Front Doors £60

Nato Green Paint £36

Wiring connectors £3.00

TOTAL £815.86

Hand Brake

Main

Posted by min200 Thu, August 07, 2014 19:12:31

Ended up with an extra day off of work today because I foolishly ate a pizza at lunchtime which triggered my IBS off big style. I got to work to happily find 5 spare drivers kicking their heels so I managed to bag the day off as a holiday which was great because I really didn't think I would have made it the distance between service station toilets on the motorway without ****ting myself!

So I got home and had to potter about as it eases the pain. After sorting the imperial from the metric spanners out in the shed I went to the toilet again. After this horror I decided to have a nose at the hand/transmission brake on the Landy.

I didn't have the correct imperial size spanner for the adjusting nut as loads of my tools seem to have done a bunk but I found that the ring end of a 7mm spanner worked perfectly on it with no play. I sprayed on some WD40 and slowly worked the adjusting nut forwards and backwards a bit at a time adding more WD40 as needed until it freed up.

010_zps38c63224.jpg

011_zps2433f300.jpg

Then I started on removing the nuts holding the drum on and of one of these had been rounded off before but hey theres always a buggered nut isn't there!

012_zpsea6c47f1.jpg

Luckily I have a tool box full of odd old sockets so I grabbed a slightly undersized one 1/2 and hammered it into place.

013_zps7b870eb6.jpg

This brought the knackered nut off nicely. At this point I realised that the next fart was going to be more than that and rushed to get out from under the landy smacking my head then running for the toilet wondering whether to clutch my stomach, my arse or my now banging head.

After some considerable time had passed I got back under the Landy and gave the drum a good whacking with a hammer to loosen the contents up a bit shift some muck and free off the brake pads.

Then I used a flat ended screwdriver inserted into the edge between the back plate and the drum to see if it would gently free off. Much to my surprise it came off easily and then I was very happy to see the brake pads and components where all in good condition!

015_zps4902503d.jpg

So a quick clean up and the drum was put back on.

017_zpsc23676c7.jpg

After a quick adjustment up the hand brake now works perfectly! The only component I have had to replace is the spring on the handbrake itself. Now what a bloody job that was as I was trying to force it up and over the place it was supposed to fit into whilst trying not to **** myself in the process.

016_zpsc67d36cd.jpg

So another job marked off of the list and only at the cost of a new nut, handbrake spring and a lump on my head...which is nice!

[h=2]More Paint.[/h]MainPosted by min200 Fri, August 08, 2014 11:52:56

Just picked up two tins of metallic paint from Wilkinsons. This stuff is basically the cheap version of Hammerite so all good. silver in colour it will be used for the windscreen frame and the wheels I have already primed.

I scraped the paint off of the windows on the landy so at least you can see out of them. Not enough tome to do anything else at the moment so the first dry day next week will see some more colour on the project!

Landy Project Costs

Land Rover £375

Sanding Discs £11.70

Ignition Barrel £20

Heritage letter £21.75

Grinding disc £2.25

Under Seal £8.99

5 Litres Primer £24.99

Rear Door £21.00

Front Door £20.00

Handbrake spring £1.50

2 Discovery wheels

Two seatbelts

Wing Mirror

2 Headlight surrounds

2 headlight frames £60

2 Front Doors £60

Nato Green Paint £36

Wiring connectors £3.00

2 tins of silver metal paint £7.00

TOTAL £822.86

[h=2]Fundraising[/h]MainPosted by min200 Sun, August 10, 2014 18:26:36

I am fundraising for The Outward Bound Trust. These guys do great work with kids who live under the poverty line and try to install some new skills into them and show what you can achieve in life.

Basically its your life and you can achieve just about what you want to.

We are off for a week where there will be hiking and wild camping along with sailing and climbing. A lot of these kids have never been away before.

BUT before this turns into a bad TV begging advert which lets face it we are all numb to and sick to the back teeth of if you have enjoyed keeping up with my blog and if I have made you smile would you just give a pound or two please as I have to hit a target of £500 and this is what pays for the kids.

You can donate directly on this link https://www.justgiving.com/Nick-Smith29/

Go on give us a quid it will take less time to do than reading all of this has!

A Massive thank you to those folks who have donated! It makes me smile knowing that there are still more folk out there that give a damn than don't.

You people don't shout it from the roof tops just quietly help out and it restores your faith in humanity.

Enough of the sloppy nonsense if anyone else would be happy to part with a pound or two it would be much appreciated!

Now this is the last begging post I will post but I will post a thank you to anymore donations so thanks again folks it will make a difference to these kids

[h=2]Im Cursed[/h]MainPosted by min200 Wed, August 13, 2014 13:22:38

Over the last couple of days I am sure someone has been hiding in the trees opposite my house just waiting for me to start doing anything that is linked to the Land Rover and when I do he turns on the water.

Yesterday I got out the clutch master cylinder and just had time to check that it was the correct part before it started to rain.

Today I decided to get on with painting the replacement wheels. Having been caught out yesterday I had a look up into the sky and thought to myself "ok it's cloudy but doesn't look dark enough for rain". I proceeded to go and get changed into some old kit that I can get paint on without Wifey giving an earful on how I always manage to wreck my clothing and grabbed the key to my shed to get the paint out.

All good so far! So I rummaged around to find an old paint brush and after a few minutes had the brush and paint in hand just in time to hear the start of loud patters on the shed roof!

That was the end of that idea because there is no way I can paint six Land Rover wheels in my 8x6 shed.

So I came indoors and ordered some sand paper and new fuses for the old girl online instead. Hopefully a bit more luck tomorrow or maybe I can sneak out without that chap in the bushes noticing me.

Landy Project Costs

Land Rover £375

Sanding Discs £11.70

Ignition Barrel £20

Heritage letter £21.75

Grinding disc £2.25

Under Seal £8.99

5 Litres Primer £24.99