saracan towing

Hi

We recently had a massive fire here at work and while I was dealing with fire officers a couple of mates dragged the Saracen and ferret out with a tractor.

Unfortunately they don't know about these things and I found that although they say they didn't go very fast the transfer box was still in forward gear. They were towed across a soft ish field which might have helped.

The ferret seems to drive okay although I've only crawled it about 100m back into the sheds (that survived) but the Saracen will need a bit more work to get her started.

How do I tell if there is damage to the driveline without driving it and poss causing more damage? Is it probable that damage has been done?

Like I said to my mates I'd rather a tractor joint was written off than the whole thing in a fire.

Thanks

Assessing the speed it was towed by a tractor it would not have been great. The only thing that would suffer would be the gearbox because with transfer box in a directional gear the gearbox will be turned from the output, meaning the oil pump on the input was not turning................ unless you had left the gearbox engaged maybe. Tracta should not suffer in this situation.

Such a short tow should not have hurt it. The reason that they recommend against towing at all and insist that it be done at low speed for short distances with both the gearbox and transfer case in neutral, is that the oil pumps in the gearbox and transfer cases are driven by the input shafts, so there is reduced lubrication flow and pressure. 100m or so wouldn't even register.

Cheers,

Terry