wooden replica guns/rifles

David Ives

just picked up a replica slr fron http://www.relics.org.uk and apart from the weight you would not be able to tell the difrence

not bad on price either :-D

Seen Relics stuff.. you should of gone to Specsavers First.. Better going for a Deac.. their status remains unchanged Re VCR Act 2006, unlike the RIF you have just bought...

I have a metal and wood replica SLR. Got it at a show for about £30.

The metal bits are a white metal moulding (painted the right colour obviously). Looks ok clipped up in the back of the wagon until you get really close, I think it was made as a film prop.

Did have a deac one but traded it for a sten for the boy....

• 3 weeks later...

Admittedly speaking in ignorance here - but for something to put in the weapons clips of - say - a Bedford, AEC, Stalwart or even a Landrover the £138 charged by Relics seems to compare very favourably against the £700 - £800 for an early type deac SLR.

Obviously for use in re-enactments etc it would be the other way around but purely for cab furniture.....

In a nutshell, what is the law on owning deacs, do they need to be declared? I take it you need the certificate? Do you need to be licensed?

No, No & No... a certificate is not a legal requirement, as long as the deactivation proof marks are legible, saying that always try to get a gun with a deac cert, it can save a load of hassle if you get stopped...

Guys,............If you own a deac, it saves a (possible) load of hassle, if you carry a photo copy of deact cert, upon your person.

From a reenacting point of view, this is esp important, as with the rest of the kit, worn/carried, we can, at times look intimidating to some, and at certain events, in the past, certificates HAVE been asked for, as ghasp, so rightly has stated.

On the same topic,..........how many of us, when travelling to events, have got rifle(s) on view in the 'clips' between seats, etc ?? :whistle: Somewhere, I've read, that when on the public highway, such things SHOULD be covered......., even if its a cloth chucked over them.......................

Andy

In the Netherlands you cannot have a replica gun, they are forbidden, period. Deactivated bolt operated rifles you can have without permission but all others you need permission for.

Even when you have permission to have a weapon it does not mean you can bring it to all shows. Organisers of a show must have permission from the police before you can actually carry it.

We have very, very strickt gun laws...

This may well have been asked before somewhere, but as opposed to deac's what is the law in regard to wood/metal/plastic replicas, does the transport of them fall into the same as deac's, as in they must be covered (understandable really)?

This may well have been asked before somewhere, but as opposed to deac's what is the law in regard to wood/metal/plastic replicas, does the transport of them fall into the same as deac's, as in they must be covered (understandable really)?

Yes still cover them up & the law is now tighter re replica's under the VCR Act 2007 which has banned the Manufacture, import and sale of RIF's (Realistic Imitation Firearms) but there is a Defence in law for legitimate use.. they are still arguing over the definition of a RIF & the law is due to be implemented by the 1st October 2007 although it has already been given Royal Accent.. you can still buy/own deacs as you did in the past..

See..

http://historicmilitaryvehicles.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=38&topic=3808.0

http://historicmilitaryvehicles.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=38&topic=2936.0

Also look at the other threads in the VCR Section

Indeed, don't even think about bringing a deact in to the Netherlads without the proper papers.....

I've been in a special living history park (Archeon) with a WW2 group.

Even there we got checked by civvy clothed police!!

But 1 guy had a Thompson without the paperwork - it got confiscated and he in a lot of trouble...Don't know how that ended.

I had a Brit pistolholster (filled with a cloth only) and got checked what was inside...

I've been in a special living history park (Archeon) with a WW2 group.

Even there we got checked by civvy clothed police!!

But 1 guy had a Thompson without the paperwork - it got confiscated and he in a lot of trouble...Don't know how that ended.

I had a Brit pistolholster (filled with a cloth only) and got checked what was inside...

:schocked: I guess this is a dam good reason to make sure we stay 'SQUEEKY',...always carry the correct paperwork,covered when not showing. and not give any 'ammo', to those who may be in a position of authority/power to look to imposing these sort of draconion measures over here.

Andy

And never give your gun to members of the public for a quick snap, that can get you into trouble too.. :(

:whistle: VERY TRUE.................. :roll:

Must admit, try not to be photo'd carrying arms,..............certainly in a 'posed' setting,...........however, saying that,.................reporters of newspapers seem to want guns included in shots,...............as they say, dressed as a soldier, they are part and parcel of kit worn/carried.

(I appeared in local paper just a little while ago, holding a bazooka, in 'ready' mode,..................with guys in jeep behind the .50cal.

As a living history group, we DID have misgivings about the 'pose', but decided to carry on and allow him to take pic.

Having seen result, whilst its not something I'd be pictured with again, its not too bad;)

My rifle tends to stay in vehicle rifle holder, except when anyone wants to have a look,................(normally Vets.)

The bren, when it arrives, will be a different story, though...............Jack, have you any of those sandbags, you were selling, recently,.........left ??

Andy

Golden rule, treat a replica as a real weapon.....

All weapons that are fixed may be left in place on the public highway, but must be covered from public view ( a gun clip does not constitute a fixed weapon).

All others must be removed from veiw totally. You also must have a valid reason for transporting you weapon...... you must not have it displayed in public without a valid reason..... Get the pattern

I have been over this time and again with coppers as owning a pinkie, it is best to be aware of your facts before the local bobby takes an interest.....

I tend to remove all mags and store them seperatly as if you are stopped and a copper thinks the weapon is loaded then they have to request a gun squad member, whereas if you can proove beyond doubt that the mags are no where near the weapons then the bobby that stopped you can deal with the incident them selves. alot quicker and generally a lot friendlier!!!

Showing my ignorance again here or, at least, lack of understanding of the laws.

Does the covering up of a deac weapon apply to, say 30mm mg, fixed to a CVR (e.g. Ferret Mk2/3) turret or does it have to be removed whilst on public roads?

This whole issue appears to be a minefield - albeit maybe a necessary one unfortunately.

Brian,

The 30mm Rarden cannon on the CVR(W) Fox and CVR(T) Scimitar or Sabre is not the same as the .30 Cal Browning on a Ferret Mk 2/3. A Ferret isn't a CVR either - althought it is a combat reconnaissance vehicle. The CVR vehicles were designed as a family with common parts in the late 60s.

The answer to your question is yes, they must be deactivated. Unless you have them converted to a blank firer etc. I'm not sure on the rules on those, but someone will know.

You would be advised to remove the MG from a Ferret while on the roads, but this is a much bigger job on a Fox or CVRT as the gun actually forms part of the vehicle.

Chris