Abbot SPG fuel pump problems

Rick007

I have an Abbot over here in the states.Last year we used it in a lot of parades and veterans events. I had no problems at all. This year we are driving it on a large piece of property where I can get full throttle and speed.(You know at speed it feels like 50 MPH). We made a great track with ups and downs Oh! what fun. However the unit started starving for fuel. The pump got very loud. We emptied the fuel tank Yuck !!!. We found a muddy mess that you could stir with a stick. We pulled the fuel tank and cleaned. We took the pump out and the mesh filter was so clogged that it would hardly sink in a 5 gallon bucket of gas. We cleaned with a toothbrush. We didn't take the pump apart because we tested it remotely and it pumped rather well. WE put everything back together and it roared back to life. We were all High fives and smiles our arms reached our backs to pat them. We ran it and it ran good. We did the ups and downs and it started to starve agian (pump gets loud and runs out of fuel). we thought not enough fuel so we filled it up. Still didnt solve the problem. Do I have a bad pump? Is there a rebuild kit? is there a new pump or do you use a aftermarket pump? Help Parade season is fast approaching. Thanks Rick

It's straightforward to get a reconditioned pump, at least in the UK. Did you replace the fuel filter on the pack at the same time?

What's the army registration number of your Abbot, out of interest?

Andy

Yes we changed out the remote filter cartridge. We measured the one that was in there and found a suitable US replacement. Tell me where to find the army registration number and I will give it to you. Then I may learn a little more about it. Thanks. Do you have a supplier in mind I can get a reconditioned unit from? Just a note. I imported this Abbot last year. I purchased it from Duncan Nelson at tanks for sale in the UK. I have a good friend that owns Paragon Towing in Doncaster. he went over and checked it out. The experience was a good one and after doing it once I feel like a veteran importer.:-). Just before I purchased it Duncan had hired it out to Top Gear for a show.All he could send me was a phone pic of Richard Hammond standing next to it. As I recall it was sitting on top of a police car. I never could find the episode. It probably hit the cutting room floor. Thanks for the response Rick

If the Army VRN isn't painted on it(!) take a look at the plate in the driver's compartment by the gear lever. You're looking for a number that's either 07EBXX or 08EBXX (I own 08EB10).

The current favourites for fuel pump reconditioning are http://www.carwood.co.uk but you should be able to find someone on your side of the pond, it's basically a standard Lucas/CAV commercial unit with different connectors. Note that Carwood's service is by exchange unit so you'll need one to send them. Make sure you remove the outlet union as you might not get one back with the exchange pump!

Andy

Hi Andy. I looked for the number The only plate above the gearshift is how fast it will travel. The panel above that is missing. I can see into engine pack.I was going to just make a plate to cover that. Today the only thing we did was pump out the fuel from the tank. I will then take the pump off after pulling the fuel tank. I am looking for info on the Lucas/Cav pump for a rebuild kit. I would imagine if I had a civilian type part number it would be easier. It reminds me of a 68 Bentley I had some years back. the smog pump wasn't hooked up and the pump was seized. I called British Motors in San Fran. Pump was 1500.00 and anti back fire valves were 90 bucks each. It dawned on me that California was the only sate requiring the rubbish. traced valves back to a Ford mustang at 10 dollars each and the smog pump was 250 dollars. If anyone knows the magic rebuild kit part number please come forth with it. Thanks and Cheers

So you're missing the upper Division Plate in its entirety? If it was there it should have two plates on it, one a brass one with the Vickers works number and an alloy one carrying the MOD details.

I'd have a word with Carwood about the repair kit. As you're on the other side of the pond they shouldn't think they're losing a sale and they may even know of someone in your area.

Andy

IMG_2269aw.jpg

IMG_2271aw.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Andy, Update on fuel pump. Pulled the fuel tank yesterday. It was quicker the second time around! I hope I don't have to do it again. I pulled the nose off the pump to find it is a simple vane type pump. The vanes look good and there isn't any scoring in the elliptical outer ring. Just a note the outer ring had the word Delphi on it. In the states Delphi is a GM company. Does it mean anything to you? So I removed the 3 allenhead screws that hold on electrical cover. To my dismay It was quite gunky dirty inside and even some water came out.I put the cover back on without going further. I dont understand why the pump sound like an old Lucas petrol pump the way it rattles. Its hard to describe except it sounds like a petrol pump on my Morris when I turn the key on before it comes to pressure. The Abbot fuel pump I believe should be quiet because its a electric motor turning a vane pump. Does an Abbott pump usually make noise? I emailed Carwood no response. I looked High and Low for a Lucas /CAV rep in the states No Luck. Would you or someone you know have a core I could buy. Marcus Green Has a pump For 295.00 UK. Dont know if thats the going rate. However They want my pump first before they send out a pump. I will be also looking for replacement track pads in the future. Thanks Again for your help I will send pictures of the beast next go around. Cheers Rick

This is what the completed upper division plate should look like, I just put mine back together over the weekend.

IMG_5655aw.jpg

I think Carwood were less than £200 for the re-con last time I used them - I'll send you a PM.

Andy

Hi Rick,

I had had the same problem last year with the fuel pump on my FV434 which I think is the same pump that you have on the Abbott. I managed to contact Carwood who were very helpful and sent them my pump so they could refurbish it.

It took 10 days and came back looking brand new. It cost me all in £250. Well worth it in the end.

Thanks for the reply. Andy has been a great help. I should have a pump in no time to get this thing back on the road. The pump seems to be so simple in concept but its above me to take it apart. Ive owned every model of the P6 Rover and I know what over engineering is LOL. Cheers Rick

Andy is that new upholstery fabric? It looks terrific. I will have to look around the parts that were inside when it was brought over. That panel might be around.They cut the breech with a gas axe. we are going to fab stuff up to make it look right. the loader arms were cut off as well. We can put that back together as well. The interior of the turret is in bad shape. But as my good friend in Doncaster said when he looked at it for me."Its A wonderful piece of kit" Cheers Rick