87 ET 77 Militant

Yes & no Iain, as the site where the Mili is stored has access conditions I have to either book a day off work or strike it lucky on a Saturday morning if the workshop is open. I hope to strip the valve from the truck again soon. Purely by chance whilst visiting a new workshop supplier in Ilkeston, Derbyshire through work, I found they had an old civilian aec tractor unit under restoration. Upon further enquiry I found they offer a full restoration & testing facility for brake valves and provide a 3 month warranty with the recon valves. This should be a good deal cheaper than an exchange valve. I hope to know more soon & will update.

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent photos there Iain - nice to see the truck at work. Ilkeston workshop has now quoted me £140 for recon of my valve, the owner reckons he has a new one somewhere in his mountain of Bendix & other valves. As he's not on the Internet or email I also showed him the two Crusaders Dave Crouch has listed for sale so might have a fellow mv buddy soon. Here's the part worn tyres I got

image.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

First attempt Bryan! I have a second piece to have a go at with the heat gun.

After barely an hour on the truck today I tracked down a cracked pressure regulator valve base which hadn't been as noticeable a few weeks earlier. Tying a rag tightly around the valve put the pressure up almost to the correct level and restored the feed to the clutch air hydraulic unit. I've now stripped the part and hope to acquire a replacement - hopefully this fixes the brake issue once and for all.

[video=youtube_share;QxjlLq5DJhg]

image.jpg

image.jpg

Managed another 5 hours today, including 10 laps of the depot now the air system is largely sorted - best pressures on the gauges I've seen since owning the Mili. I took the opportunity to give the parking spot a good sweep & clean up whilst the truck had been moved and resumed the prep & red oxide painting on the crane. My Dad has suggested fitting an additional fan (electrical as opposed to the mechanical one fitted as standard) in front of the rad which would work off a temp sensor.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Sterling work with the paintbrush there. I don't think you'll need an additional fan as mine has never shown any signs of overheating even working hard in warm weather. I have a leak at one of the slew rams, but have put off that mammoth task for some time now. Why is everything so hard to work on?

After RTTW I took the Militant back to the former RAOC CVD Hilton, next to where I live. On page 7 of this thread you'll see my truck was held here in stock in the early 1970s. The last few sheds are being removed to make way for 450 homes, just a shame the truck wasn't back in green for this visit but I'm glad to have made the trip. These images have various filters applied to them via Instagram to bring out the detail.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg