87 ET 77 Militant

Box now out the pit, in the photo of the open topped box we've found the gear for 4/5th just spins with no drive transmitted when the selector drum slides onto it, unlike the rest of the gears. In the photo, these are the smaller gears inbetween the two larger ones on the right. Spigot shaft is to be removed next to hopefully see why this is. A spare box has been found, if required, & complete with transmission box for £600.

IMG_3111.jpg

IMG_3109.jpg

IMG_3108.jpg

IMG_3110.jpg

IMG_3112.jpg

IMG_3108.jpg

IMG_3109.jpg

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yikes! That's quite the failure. :wow:

Lucky to have a 'new' box within relatively easy reach; that'll definitely save some time over having a new main-shaft machined.

Certainly is, at least I can have a good look at the clutch and hopefully never have to take it all apart ever again!

Clutch out, think I've had the wear out of it! Need to find a replacement clutch now, flywheel should go again.

I can highly recommend Truckfix Ltd for rebuilding your clutch cover and plate. http://www.truckfixclutches.com

The lady who runs the business is on the ball and quick to respond.

Richard

Box now out the pit, in the photo of the open topped box we've found the gear for 4/5th just spins with no drive transmitted when the selector drum slides onto it, unlike the rest of the gears. In the photo, these are the smaller gears inbetween the two larger ones on the right. Spigot shaft is to be removed next to hopefully see why this is. A spare box has been found, if required, & complete with transmission box for £600.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]119632[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]119633[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]119629[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]119630[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]119631[/ATTACH]

Hi Nick saw this box on ebay ,if correct might save you a few quid. milly gearbox ebay no:272417423558.scott

Popped down to Dave Crouch's Kibworth yard south of Leicester this morning to collect this colourful gearbox - I wonder if it's the box out of Crouchs old Mili?. Plenty of toys in the yard, those 16r20 Mich XZL tyres seem to fetch a lot of money at the minute.

Both the 8x8 MAN & Oshkosh seem to be set up for off road winching.

IMG_3183.jpg

IMG_3167.jpg

IMG_3176.jpg

IMG_3174.jpg

IMG_3170.jpg

IMG_3172.jpg

IMG_3180.jpg

IMG_3181.jpg

IMG_3178.jpg

IMG_3165.jpg

Looks like the gearbox will need a good clean inside and out, or are you just going to swap mainshafts?

Plenty of toys there, surprised you didn't come back with the Oshkosh!

Our thoughts exactly Iain, wouldn't like to think of the cost of the Oshkosh if he's asking £28.5k for the old Foden EKAs

Always the way. I had three for sale last year, here, on eBay and Milweb and couldn't give them away.

Seen a similar pattern made by Goodyear today, will see if they're any more about. A chap I spoke with today gets them from Belgium.

In other news, I passed my Cat H test today with Terry Brooks, recommended 👍

IMG_3195.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Nick, Sod's law about Truckfix, sometimes if you don't have bad luck you wouldn't have any luck at all!

Can you not source a driven plate from a motor factor, and is there actually anything wrong with the pressure plate? How goes it with the gearbox?

Indeed Iain, I hope precision clutches come through for me. The pricing didn't seem to bad to me, tried a local factor but couldn't source one. Thought I'd have the whole lot checked whilst it's out, no news on the box yet but will check when I'm up there early Sat morning.

• 1 month later...

Evening all,

Quick update; clutch kit refurbished & on way back up north. Both gear boxes on way to localish repairers to build one good one out of the two.

I need the main oil seal that sits behind the flywheel in the photos as we believe it caused the oil contamination of the clutch assembly.

Regards,

Nick

IMG_3365.jpg

IMG_3366.jpg

IMG_3373.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Nick,

You'll find info on the 'seal' on post 18 of this thread:

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?51494-Milly-turbo-removal-return-to-standard/page2

it would be a good idea to check and renew if required the spigot shaft bearing in the flywheel too.

Sound advice Iain, thanks. Should be able to find one through Derby bearings.