87 ET 77 Militant

Got my re cut & one minor repaired tyres from ATS today, £50 for their handy work on top of the original Fleabay cost of £150 for the three tyres. I now have these three as spares (with two inner tubes) along with the one already on a rim on the back deck. Even managed to claw back £18 by towing a Lexus & Civic out of bother with my van on the way home 👍

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
Finally booked the Mili in for respray with a good local commercial bodyshop for the last two weeks in May, £2500.

Is this a full re-spray including the crane etc, in which case it will be stunning !:shocked:

Looking forward to seeing the result.

Iain

Did you ever get the tacho working? You could work out an accurate speed from that. You'll see from the manual that 45mph is supposed to be the max at 2200rpm. I find the handling is 'interesting' over 40 mph, never mind the deafening noise, and of course you always have to be able to stop the blooming thing!

I need to check that again Iain, must admit I've just relied on the gps speedo the few times I've driven it in the last 6 months, will see come middle of May when I take it to bodyshop a few miles away. Got ear defenders for the noise 😀 I wouldn't go those speeds on single carriageways, I seem to get given a wide birth round here fortunately. Hoping to get to a local show in June all things being well.

• 4 weeks later...

Moved the Mili to temporary storage today as the bodyshop chap called to say he'd fallen off some ladders and hurt himself. My storage for the last month expired today so I hastily arranged storage at a workshop near Ashbourne until next week & have asked them to sort two difficult-to-get-to air leaks & re arrange, secure & re cable the batteries. Looking forward to finally getting it painted, I may yet make Wicksteed. Tomorrow I can pick up this tent I will use when at shows.

image.jpg

With the Mili in workshop until Tuesday and then bodyshop for two weeks thereafter, I leant a hand in a borrowed JCB to clear the new storage yard where the Mili will live after spraying. Yard needs type 1 stone adding & compacting, a good sweep up and a lick of paint.

image.jpg

I can't wait to see the result, it will be quiet something. Don't scratch it on the trees on the way home !:captain:

I am striving to get layers of paint etc off the cab so that I can give it a fresh coat and fix any problems. My main concern is sealing the roof joints to keep the moisture out. It won't be a top finish by any means as I'll be giving it a go but it will have to do for now.

Iain

My main concern is sealing the roof joints to keep the moisture out. It won't be a top finish by any means as I'll be giving it a go but it will have to do for now. Iain

My secret weapon for this sort of thing is the rubber roof paint that B&Q do, or at least did, for flat roofed house problems. There is a thin, clear rubber primer, and when that cures a black rubber top coat. It is absolutely unkillable and has done Carryall roofs, Dodge screens and back windows, weasel tracks, and a load of other things. If you just want to ensure your roof is sealed the clear primer would do it.

Two issues though;

1. It cures rather than dries, so the minute you open a can the clock is ticking and you really should use it up. Sticking the lid back on doesn't mean it will be usable if you open the can again six months later.

2. It if fiendishly expensive - see also (1) above :angel:

Iain, never noticed you were in Aberdeenshire. I'm normally in Aberdeen city all week, but on holiday in sunny Falkirk at the minute.

Added later, this stuff;

http://www.diy.com/departments/isoflex-liquid-rubber-black-roof-sealant-21l/35463_BQ.prd

Edited by Gordon_M
Added link

My secret weapon for this sort of thing is the rubber roof paint that B&Q do, or at least did, for flat roofed house problems. There is a thin, clear rubber primer, and when that cures a black rubber top coat. It is absolutely unkillable and has done Carryall roofs, Dodge screens and back windows, weasel tracks, and a load of other things. If you just want to ensure your roof is sealed the clear primer would do it.

Two issues though;

1. It cures rather than dries, so the minute you open a can the clock is ticking and you really should use it up. Sticking the lid back on doesn't mean it will be usable if you open the can again six months later.

2. It if fiendishly expensive - see also (1) above :angel:

Iain, never noticed you were in Aberdeenshire. I'm normally in Aberdeen city all week, but on holiday in sunny Falkirk at the minute.

Added later, this stuff;

http://www.diy.com/departments/isoflex-liquid-rubber-black-roof-sealant-21l/35463_BQ.prd

Thanks Gordon,£30 is worth it to stop the rot. Overlapping riveted plates and double skin with glass wool insulation is not a good combination. I'll try and get some.

I live out by Crudie, a tad further north than the city......:nut:

Nick, how was your cab roof? Did you have do anything special to seal it up?

cheers

Iain

Evening Gents,

Been quite foretunate with the cab roof, no leaks I've yet discovered. Interior isn't perfect but not too shabby either, think it was the first job I did - sanded & hammerited it. Good tip on the sealant.

Anyone know where to get the cab interior duck egg (engine blue?) paint from?

Cheers,

Nick.

I received a call from the bodyshop yesterday, asking if I could move the spare wheel off the back deck. I said I could & attended this morning. I was initially a little disappointed to still see the Mili pretty much as I left her the other week, save for a few trial/test patches they'd done with their paint.

After a a quick discussion it transpired the bodyshop owner was still suffering after falling off a ladder recently (is this becoming a common theme with militants & insecure ladders?!). He told me he now had 20 litres of the correct paint and would be cracking on with it over the next few days.

I took these few snaps, it was surprisingly hot work at eight thirty in the morning, the temperature already at 20c. The boom is at full reach, not bad for only having one extension.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Are you going to leave the boom extended and the jacks down so you get these bits painted too?

I've left it one third extended currently Iain as there's a narrow gap between the barns which leads back to the front of the bodyshop & I don't want any mishaps, I'll go back & fetch them out soon.