Good News at The DVLA.

Over the years I have had vehicles previously verified by the MVT & I now have vehicles that I have registered myself that have required a LVLO inspection.

What I don’t understand is the relationship between the dates of manufacture, registration & first registration.

For example looking at a copy of an old V5, I see the “Date of Registration” being in 1988 which was when I registered it & a note printed “Declared manufactured 1965”. Accordingly it was given a “C” suffix registration.

A few years I was able to prove to DVLA, with the help of the MVT, that it had once been registered in 1966 & was able to reinstate the original registration number.

What seems curious is that now the new V5C has different wording:

“Date of first registration” & “Date of first registration in UK” but this appears in both as 1988 not 1966.

There seems to be no provision for the date of manufacture anymore. So I don’t see how proving the date of manufacture cuts any ice as far as establishing a first registration date.

I’m lucky because I can prove, with a copy of the 1966 V5, that it was registered then. But I don’t see how it would work with the average military vehicle that might be first registered maybe 10 or more years after manufacture & be the wrong side of date for say MOT exemption or historic vehicle status.

Maybe I have misunderstood. “Date of first registration” for a normal car is going to be pretty close to the date of manufacture. Does perhaps “Date of first registration” mean a euphemism for when it was first put on the road? I have always assumed it was registration with DVLA, but might it be in the case of a military vehicle the date into service, which would be pretty close to its date of manufacture?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I have said previously the MVT advice is the one to go with, they know the score and if they suggest enclosing say a copy of your insurance then send it, it's easier than having issues because you didn't. If you do get someone from the DVLA who seems to be unsure or contradicts themselves ask to speak to the complaints department, after months of hassle with trying to obtain a V5c for a tractor I own, I got so fed up I did just that. As a result I was put through to someone who not only took the time to go through all previous correspondence but rang me back to explain what was the next step. Often the first person you speak to is NOT the actual person best qualified to help but once you complain they will take things more seriously. :)

The V5 has a field for the date of registration and the date of registration in the UK

It does not have a field for date of manufacture

This information is held on the DVLA database and can be accessed by going to the DVLA website and running a vehicle enquiry

https://www.gov.uk/get-vehicle-information-from-dvla

My Series 1 Land Rover (ex military) was built in 1955 but registered on demob in 1963

The V5 says registered 1963 but the online enquiry shows manufacture as 1955

I admit I did have to have that changed when the pre 1960 MOT exemption came in, again a painless excercise as I provided the DVLA with the info they requested.

I have just done a check on my Toastie and got these details;

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD=class: vehicledetailstableleft]Date of Liability

[/TD]

[TD=class: vehicledetailstableright]01 11 1991

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: vehicledetailstableleft]Date of First Registration

[/TD]

[TD=class: vehicledetailstableright]01 10 1974

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: vehicledetailstableleft]Year of Manufacture

[/TD]

[TD=class: vehicledetailstableright]1966

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: vehicledetailstableleft]Cylinder Capacity (cc)

[/TD]

[TD=class: vehicledetailstableright]Not Available

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: vehicledetailstableleft]CO₂ Emissions

[/TD]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: vehicledetailstableleft]Fuel Type

[/TD]

[TD=class: vehicledetailstableright]PETROL

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: vehicledetailstableleft]Export Marker

[/TD]

[TD=class: vehicledetailstableright]N

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: vehicledetailstableleft]Vehicle Status

[/TD]

[TD=class: vehicledetailstableright]Unlicensed

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: vehicledetailstableleft]Vehicle Colour

[/TD]

[TD=class: vehicledetailstableright]GREEN

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: vehicledetailstableleft]Vehicle Type Approval

[/TD]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

This is interesting as the V5 does not state year of manufacture. Also I believe the YOM is wrong.

The vehicles Military ERM is 'EL' which I believe was for year 1964? Can anyone confirm the 'EL' year please.

Also as it was first registered 01.10.1974, will it now qualify for the historic road tax after the rule change?

Given that the YOM was stated as 1966 I ask myself why it is not a Historic Vehicle. Can this be changed easily??

Thanks

Edited by Rover8FFR

I have just done a check on my Toastie and got these details;

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD=class: vehicledetailstableleft]Date of Liability

[/TD]

[TD=class: vehicledetailstableright]01 11 1991

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: vehicledetailstableleft]Date of First Registration

[/TD]

[TD=class: vehicledetailstableright]01 10 1974

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: vehicledetailstableleft]Year of Manufacture

[/TD]

[TD=class: vehicledetailstableright]1966

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: vehicledetailstableleft]Cylinder Capacity (cc)

[/TD]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: vehicledetailstableleft]CO₂ Emissions

[/TD]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: vehicledetailstableleft]Fuel Type

[/TD]

[TD=class: vehicledetailstableright]PETROL

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: vehicledetailstableleft]Export Marker

[/TD]

[TD=class: vehicledetailstableright]N

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: vehicledetailstableleft]Vehicle Status

[/TD]

[TD=class: vehicledetailstableright]Unlicensed

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: vehicledetailstableleft]Vehicle Colour

[/TD]

[TD=class: vehicledetailstableright]GREEN

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: vehicledetailstableleft]Vehicle Type Approval

[/TD]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

This is interesting as the V5 does not state year of manufacture. Also I believe the YOM is wrong.

The vehicles Military ERM is 'EL' which I believe was for year 1964? Can anyone confirm the 'EL' year please.

Also as it was first registered 01.10.1974, will it now qualify for the historic road tax after the rule change?

Thanks

The V5 as I stated earlier does not have date of manufacture on it, this is only held on the database

As the year of manufacture is 1966 it already qualifies for Hitoric Vehicle staus as regards road tax. The date is date of manufacture NOT registration

You need to return the V5 to Swansea and amend the taxation class (wouldnt really bother with the change from 1966 to 1964 )

I have been very stupid about the date of manufacture I had expected it to be on page 2 with most of the other details. But it is on the front page in section 3

1. WAS REGISTERED AND/OR USED. DECLARED MANUFACTURED 1953.

So there it is staring me in the face. I see on the DVLA site that MOT exemption applies to vehicle manufactured before 1 January 1960.

I should have felt reassured but I taxed the Pig last month & was surprised to see an MOT was required.

mot pig 2.jpg

So I presented a V112G in usual way. I have just looked on the DVLA site but there is no mention of MOT liability for any vehicles I have that do require an MOT.

Went onto the VOSA site https://www.gov.uk/browse/driving/mot-insurance & got this

mot pig.jpg

So it still looks as if the system still expects an MOT. However I then did a search for the Shorland & that showed the MOT had expired! But it said I could get more up to date information by putting in the number of the current MOT rather than the V5C number.

It seems that the response only indicates the status at the time of the V5C issue. So the only way to check on there the MOT status of the Pig is to...yes wait for it... enter the reference number on the MOT certificate....which I don't have as it is exempted with the use of a V112G which now wish to abandon.

I suppose if I had taxed it online I would have found out, but I prefer to support my village Post Office & as the renewal stated an MOT was required I produced the V112G. Anyway they closed down 2 weeks ago. But I don't want to wait for next year to find when I retax it on line. For peace of mind I want to clarify the MOT status is recorded on the system & avoid any of the V112G "unladen" issues.

The wording about MOT is something like a valid test certificate, well if you exempt the vehicle using either a V112 or V112G that is the valid test certificate!!

Didnt even have to produce a V112 when I went online and taxed my Series 1, somwhere the system must know pre 1960 no test required!!

Yes but I wonder did your renewal reminder have the bit on the bottom line, like mine did?

I would have thought if the system knew it was exempt it wouldn't have that line printed

mot pig 2.jpg

Not important really but what is Validation Character all about?

Yes but I wonder did your renewal reminder have the bit on the bottom line, like mine did?

I would have thought if the system knew it was exempt it wouldn't have that line printed

[ATTACH=CONFIG]89768[/ATTACH]

Not important really but what is Validation Character all about?

Just looked at my last renewal, and yes it asks for an appropriate MOT test certificate

In the box on the RHS of the form it saysif taxing at a post office" a filled in and completed V112 or V112G form if vehicle is exempt from testing"

Presumably then when online you dont need one as the system checks it anyway

Only guessing!!!!

Havent a clue about the validation character................the form I have has not got one!!!

Dave

You did indeed and many thanks for that

I have been in touch with my contact in the DVLA today regarding our "new man on the inside" so will be interesting to see the response.

As I keep saying there should be no problems with registering any vehicle providing you give them the details and the paperwork is in order then everything should be OK

They follow a process and if everthing is OK then out pops a V5 and a reg number

Interesting comment about insurance earlier, I have double checked and the DVLA request a copy of the insurance, so I would send it!!!

HI Chris

called the DVLA today to see if I could send in my insurance mid process and was total again that I did not need to send it as it is not required . The operator ask wot paper work I Had sent and said all was in order , the only reason that my application would be sent back is if I Had not filled in the paperwork correctly !!!

Regards Tony

HI Chris

called the DVLA today to see if I could send in my insurance mid process and was total again that I did not need to send it as it is not required . The operator ask wot paper work I Had sent and said all was in order , the only reason that my application would be sent back is if I Had not filled in the paperwork correctly !!!

Regards Tony

How very strange!!!

Maybe the DVLA have updated the process, will have another look at their website

Report back later!!

Well that was quick

latest extract from the DVLA regarding registering a vehicle

The MOT certificate can be a V112 or V112G if the vehicle is exempt

So you are correct no need for a cedrtificate of insurance.....................you learn something every day

(means I have got to change my letter again :undecided:)

[h=3]Supporting documents needed for all vehicles[/h]As well as documents to prove your identity, you must also send:

• the cost of the vehicle tax
  • the new registration fee of £55, if you have to pay it
  • a current MOT certificate, if the vehicle is over 3 years old
  • a certificate of newness (or declaration of newness for imported vehicles), if the vehicle’s new
  • any documents you have relating to the vehicle - eg build plans if it’s a kit car
  • evidence of type approval (if required)

You must also send an insurance certificate or cover note if you’re in Northern Ireland.

Well that was quick

latest extract from the DVLA regarding registering a vehicle

The MOT certificate can be a V112 or V112G if the vehicle is exempt

So you are correct no need for a cedrtificate of insurance.....................you learn something every day

(means I have got to change my letter again :undecided:)

Supporting documents needed for all vehicles

As well as documents to prove your identity, you must also send:

• the cost of the vehicle tax
  • the new registration fee of £55, if you have to pay it
  • a current MOT certificate, if the vehicle is over 3 years old
  • a certificate of newness (or declaration of newness for imported vehicles), if the vehicle’s new
  • any documents you have relating to the vehicle - eg build plans if it’s a kit car
  • evidence of type approval (if required)

You must also send an insurance certificate or cover note if you’re in Northern Ireland.

bye the way are you doing Smallwood this year ?

Regards Tony

Chris, the proof of identity documents, can they be photocopies?

I sent my original plastic drivers license and a colour copy of the paper part. Utility bills etc were original, customs 386 form was original, but you don't get that back, so get a copy of everything you send, and send it recorded. I'm sure in one of the packs I got from either the DVLA or MVT said all documents to be original unless otherwise stated.

Chris, the proof of identity documents, can they be photocopies?

I dont know!!

maybe a question for DVLA

Perhaps someone who has recently used the system will let us know

Whoops..............note to self must read all posts!!

Looks like photocopies are OK

I have contacted DVLA 3 times thus far within the last month to discuss the registration information of my Series 3 Landrover. Currently it has a "Y" registration which ties in with the year it was cast. I have a certificate from Gaydon stating the build date of 1974 but the DVLA database states it was built in 1975. I want to get the database amended to reflect the real build date (esp. with the possibility of free road tax next year on the 40 year rolling scheme) and an age related plate.

All the staff at DVLA want to tell me is how to claim exemption from road tax - I keep telling them I do not need this for at least a year, that their database is wrong and I would like an age related plate if possible but I might as well talk to a brick wall. Totally useless!! :embarrassed: