Alvis FV600s (Stolly, Saracen, Saladin, Salamander)

Dave Jenner

Hi again

After some info again please current or former owners of any of the above.

Our Salamander is not riding at the correct height as we run her with the water and foam tank empty. I don't particularly want to laden her up with almost 4 tons just to get the ride height correct.

Documentation I have suggests that the hull to ground clearance on a Salamander should be about 1' 1". Ours is currently more like 1' 5", this gives the appearance of excessive camber and too much wheel arch clearance. Basically does not look right! I'm also aware that this incorrect ride height creates more wear issues on the drive shafts.

My question is; by using the torsion bar adjusters, how much actual height adjustment is possible?

Second question, doing an oil change, what oil should be used in the B81? The book I have has OM110 or OMD75? Does anyone know the current MOD spec or what commercial oil I need to get hold of?

Cheers Dave

Hi Dave,

From some of the posts floating around about Stalwarts, you should be able to adjust the ride height down to the normal level using the adjusters, but I can't give you any actual numbers.

As for oil, OMD 75 and OMD 110 are pretty much equivalent and can be substituted with either a straight 30W or a 10W30 oil, which should be suited for use with older engines.

Saracen specific, but should be close enough for you:

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?13284-Saracen-RR-B80-Fluids&p=399965#post399965

Cheers,

Terry