A weekend's haul

Edward53

I was lucky enough to get offered some bits this weekend, including a Grail item. In ascending order of interest (IMO), here they are. Firstly a pair of OG trousers, well-used and missing a buckle, but sound, a good Size 8 and dated 1967.

31 March 2014 010.jpg

31 March 2014 009.jpg

I have a soft spot for the 1953 pattern Smock Sateen, which seems to be quite a rare beast compared with the number of 1960 patterns on the Net at any one time. This 1955 dated Size 7 by Silberston is used, but in pretty good order.

31 March 2014 008.jpg

31 March 2014 007.jpg

Not the Grail item (yet!), but possibly the one I like best of all. This J Mandelberg 1959 dated Size 8 1953 pattern smock is an absolute blinder in pristine, unissued condition. The quality of the material really comes across when you handle a piece in this condition. The seller knew these were scarce items and the prices weren't "car boot", but not exorbitant either.

31 March 2014 006.jpg

It seems strange that this smock has the earlier light green buttons, but the one from four years previously has the 1960-type dark green buttons. They seem original to it, and at least one pair of mint early trousers with the same buttons has been posted on here. Presumably the dark green buttons only made a gradual appearance?

31 March 2014 005.jpg

Finally...

31 March 2014 003.jpg

Am absolutely delighted with this, especially not having to pay what they have sometimes made on ebay. I'd been looking for one of these since acquiring the one that followed it, but didn't think one would turn up so soon. The label is present but completely washed out and the end of the zip is delicate, but I can live with that. The smock is in used but sound condition and seems an average size, perhaps a 3.

A fantastic haul there! I really like the mint combat smock,but as you say the grail item must be the sas windproof .It just goes to show even the rarer kit is out there and obtainable if you are patient and prepared to wait.They really are nice additions to a collection.