CVRT Sabre.... first brief test run on the road....

PDonovan

Looks good!! What is the the funny noise you can hear?

The vehicle was supplied with two gearboxes..... one was OK... the other was described as having a "Funny Noise" I decided to fit the noisy gearbox during the restoration as the only way to find out what the noise was ... is to hear it running. The noise as you quite rightly say (well spotted by the way) is at idle..... as soon as the clutch engages it goes away.... and the noise comes from the clutch area. So i guess there are some gears / bearing associated with the clutch unit that are faulty / failing. Looking at the exploded view of the gearbox in the parts book I think it may be possible to remove the clutch with the box still fitted and maybe find the problem. It would be great if I can fix the fault as I will then have a spare box. If anyone has any ideas what the noise could be i would be delighted to hear from you. Worst case scenario..... I fit the good box.

You can remove the clutch assembly with the gearbox still fitted (I have replaced a clutch and drum on our Spartan); unfortunately it requires the drivers bulkhead to be removed which also entails (as you will be aware) draining the engine coolant (among other things) so I hope it doesn't mess up your shiny paintwork!

You may as well strip the front end of the gearbox down in situ; worst case you will be changing the box anyway.

Vince

At the Earls Court tournament in December, one of the Scorpions was found to have a loose clutch centre nut - we stripped out the bulkhead, tightened it up and refitted the whole lot overnight... I think it was almost more involved than an engine change as there is so much stuff bolted to that bulkhead.

Actually when I say 'we' there was only one person working, the other half dozen stood round the side with beer/tea offering helpful suggestions...!