Bedford rl light recovery 376 alc ex - afs

Fugly

Hello All

Just a quick posting to let you know I have bought a Bedford RL Light Recovery Truck. Thanks to some valuable help, I have been informed that it is an ex AFS vehicle , supplied to the Durham AFS, then later to Flintshire fire brigade.

It needs restoration on the cab, and the braking system . If anyone can help with cab panels or wheel cylinders for a 1962 RL please let me know !

Pics attached !!

JIm20140315_142619.jpg

001.jpg

002.jpg

004.jpg

20140315_142614.jpg

Lovely vehicle!!

Are you sure about the AFS part though?? Only this one has a cupola whereas AFS vehicles normally had a solid roof with the twin lights front and centre.....

Dont think so

Listed in The Green Machine as in service post AFs with Durham then to Flintshire 8/73 To Clwyd/Rhyl 1974 and was at Mold in 1992

Just as original poster said

Sure I have a picture of it in service somwhere

I have crawled over several of the ex AFS Rcys especially 377 ALC which was the Scottish one- (they were allocated one per home defence region) , I have also crawled over several ex REME ones and couldn't find any difference; The Rcy were the only batch of AFS vehicles to have an unmodified military pattern cab, all the other batches of RL had a solid cab roof and the Commer Q4s had many changes for AFS use , but the Bedford RLC Rcy were unmolested !

TED

Dont think so

Listed in The Green Machine as in service post AFs with Durham then to Flintshire 8/73 To Clwyd/Rhyl 1974 and was at Mold in 1992

Just as original poster said

Sure I have a picture of it in service somwhere

Interesting - I co-own the ex-AFS Bedford RL petrol carrier (GYL 32C) which was sold to Clywd Fire Brigade in the late 80s and used by them as a foam carrier for some years.

Here it is sat outside one of their stations when in service:

http://www.historical-fire-engines.com/img-bedford-105.htm

Here it was yesterday:

IMG_20140329_133818.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

Excellent machine! For (some) cab panels, try Brian Whiteside (nr Poole) (Wimbourne). He has some other stuff too. Rhys Hughes (Fishguard) also has loads of RL stuff. Are the panels beyond repair??

It is fantastic to see one the of rare ex-AFS wreckers still in existence, and your photos show clearly some of the interesting mods at the rear end.

There is a really nice guy out there (Tony) who has lovingly created a beauty of an AFS wrecker from the "standard" army version, with these AFS mods. In recent years he has taken it to the Welland Steam Rally as part of an AFS event, but unfortunately that won't be repeated this year. You may well know him...

I am the current custodian of two ex REME wreckers which I am absolutely mad on. At end of May, REME are arriving as near to my home as they can get with a MAN SVR + trailer to "borrow" YSU 350 for a ReccyMech get-together and action day with some other, BIG, ex REME wreckers, including Scammell and Foden EKA. YSU 350 still needs some work on the cab, but wiring, air, and brakes are all renewed. Still work to do on it. The other I haven't yet touched, but it drove 100 miles OK before it overheated. (Turns out the engine block cooling is blocked up.)

I have an original copy of the User Handbook which I am going to get copied and when it is done, if you want, you are welcome to a copy.

Regards, Dan

With respect Dan, neither the AFS or REME used wreckers, as per the thread title they were recovery vehicles and as you rightly say they manned by Reccy Mechs not Wrecky Mechs:cool2:
I stand corrected....But what is the distinction?

Wrecker is a description we seem to have inherited from over the pond, in the English language it is 'someone who wrecks or destroys'. Many years ago I had a severe ticking off from a REME officer when I referred to his Fodens as wreckers:embarrassed: "They are recovery vehicles, they don't go out wrecking anything" he barked.

Yes - An Americanism, I'm sure. We should call things by the correct name. So from now on it will be "Tractor, 3 Ton, GS, Recovery, Light, 4 x 4, Bedford, RL"! Regards.

Wrecker is a description we seem to have inherited from over the pond, in the English language it is 'someone who wrecks or destroys'. Many years ago I had a severe ticking off from a REME officer when I referred to his Fodens as wreckers:embarrassed: "They are recovery vehicles, they don't go out wrecking anything" he barked.

• 4 months later...
A few photos of REME Bedfords from my collection.

Keith

Can any one please tell me how many Bedford RL wreckers were made, please, a lad on Bedford Owners on FB recons only 10 were made I would imagine a lot more than that made it, seeing as how successful the RL was.

the key card records show that the 3 ton Bedford RLC WRECKER in service with only the army in the registration numbers

DL started at 00 DL 82 up to 01 DL 31 In the CL RANGE the numbers from 35 CL 46 to 36 CL 45 were also Bedford

RLC WRECKERs some what more than 10 we had two at the museum for a while and there was one at ESKMILLS

at the same time l have not looked for any more in the files l think the point has been made

• 1 month later...

Just a quick update - Work has progressed (slowly) - all the brakes are now overhauled , and I have been collecting panels for the cab re-build, which will progress ( slowly) this winter. I have been distracted by an Eager Beaver .... I attach a photo of the Bedford , withy my father stood next to it - we were about to use the jib to take down a large tree branch.20140928_114610.jpg ( And yes I know its on singles on the back, the other tyres are just being added), and no , I wont go on the road like this ...... :)

• Like 1