FWD gallery

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to the FWD manual just the trailer brake is attached to the steering column so it may be a mod. As for the one that was up for sale......as far as I know it is still for sale. The asking price may be the reason for this:D:D

The Warner electric brake would have been a standard fitment I think as artillery used Warner brakes during WW2. Looks like it has an air control trailer brake as well, this might be a later addition.

Extremely interested in this last post - Cottenham is only 3 miles from where I live! Any one any more info on what happened to these two trucks? Cheers

Anything to do with the Sawmill on the Cottenham/Histon road?

They were taken into a yard at Swavesey or Over (cant remember which....old age!!!)

The yard was on a lane at the bottom left hand side of the village green.

It was run by a guy called Olby Smith

He also had a Cletrac crawler

Edited by Brooky

My dad remembers the scrap yard! Long since gone isn't it? Be very interesting to know if they are still around anywhere....did they run do you know? Where did you get the picture from? Cheers :)

Took the photos myself

Used to visit the guy quite regularly, he did have a knack of finding different stuff!!

Bought a Morris MRA1 from him, he also had a Karrier 3 tonner. He also had a Cletrac (complete with winch and compressor)

Don't know whether they ran but went in bad nick

He was an "interesting" character and quite well known in the area

lpb626-5.jpg

The FWD on the back of the wrecker appears to be LPB626, seen here in service with Stanley Thurston, showman of Kempston. It was in service with Thurston`s until at least 1963. My records show that it also served with Bagshot Sawmills at some stage. There is a suggestion that the truck still exists, but I do not know where or how much remains. LPB626 would of been initially registered around January 1947 in Surrey and CAN846 around June 1947 in West Ham. Sadly neither registration archives exist to view

FMT336 was still in use with Thurstons in 1963. I have just noticed that FTM also had beading either side of the grille along with a chrome bumper, so the picture of the FWD attached to wrecker could be either FTM or LPB!! Showmen tended to work their transport hard.....I doubt if many went on to have another life

FMT336 was still in use with Thurstons in 1963. I have just noticed that FTM also had beading either side of the grille along with a chrome bumper, so the picture of the FWD attached to wrecker could be either FTM or LPB!! Showmen tended to work their transport hard.....I doubt if many went on to have another life

Hi Trevor

I think the third picture is FTM336. The beading on the cab is the same and the name MONTY appears to be under the windsceen still. Great pictures.

As I mentioned earlier Stanley Thurston operated 3 FWDs;

FTM336 - Monty

LPB625 - Churchill

LPB626 - Commando

Henry Thurston (brother, I think) operated;

ANH673 - which went on to be a timber tractor with Michael Watson - timber?

MPD767 - London Pride went on to J Appleton - another showman

• 1 month later...

Just re-looking at these pictures on here and the numerous ones I've taken of my truck, quite a lot of the cab has definitely been re-paneled as I haven't got the Air Vents at the front corners of the cab, and the top below the windows where the nice curved panel should be is non-exsistant. I presume the cabs were prone to rotting from where the water comes down off of the windscreens and sits and collects.

IMAG1992.jpg