Normandy - Air Recognition Panels

BarrieT

I believe that U.S. vehicles used orange air recognition panels during the Normandy campaign in WW11.

Did the U.K. and Canadians use a similar panel on their vehicles ?

If so, what size and colour ?

Thanks, in anticipation,

Barrie

I believe that U.S. vehicles used orange air recognition panels during the Normandy campaign in WW11.

Thanks, in anticipation,

Barrie

There are usually some repro one's on eBay every so often mate. I've seen yellow and orange.

Thanks, in anticipation,

Barrie

Anyone, any knowledge?

Barrie

Hi, Air recognition panels were used on vehicles and to mark forward troop positions. They were either Yellow Orange or Purple and made from a number of materials including rubberized canvas and heavy duty cotton which were issued as panels which could be rolled up when not in use. I have a number of these in the collection and they're approx. 6 feet by 3 Feet when deployed. A number of them could be displayed to form letters e.g 'T' signals. Obviously extemporised panels could be made from any materials available. The use of Yellow Orange and Purple smoke was also common to avoid getting shot-up by 'Friendly Fire'. During the Rhine Crossing British Paras were issued with a scarf of Yellow silk 2 feet square which could also be used as a marker and combined with others to create larger signals.

All,

Thanks for the info.

From what I can understand U.S. troops used orange coloured panels draped across their vehicles during the Normandy campaign.

I was wondering if U.K. and Canadians used the same ?

Barrie