New member from Victoria, BC, Canada

Hi Everyone,

My name's Chris Preston, from Victoria on Canada's west coast, and I'm a new member to this board as of yesterday. I've just recently retired from the RCN as a CPO2 after 44 years of service as a reservist, and am also a retired Victoria Police Officer with 25 years of service (2 careers !!!!). Now I can "relax" in retirement, and carry on building scale models and working on 1 to 1 scale operational, vintage military vehicles at a local Cdn Army reserve unit that has a museum with 16 operational vintage military vehicles.

To say that I'm learning a lot about vehicles would be an understatement. The one that I've "inherited" for care and maintenance, and driving is a Daimler Ferret Mk 2/3, which I'm working on the get operational for our display season that will be starting shortly.

I'm looking forward to learning from everyone on this board in the future, and hope one day to have my own vintage vehicle.

Cheers,

Chris Preston,

Victoria, BC,

Canada

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the welcome. As for operating a Ferret in Canada, I'm on the west coast where it's almost tropical compared to what the rest of the country has gone through this winter. That being said, we did get some snow here last month. The Ferret's down for some long overdue TLC and repairs/maintenance - we hope to have her operational by May.

Cheers,

Chris Preston

Hi Everyone,

My name's Chris Preston, from Victoria on Canada's west coast, and I'm a new member to this board as of yesterday. I've just recently retired from the RCN as a CPO2 after 44 years of service as a reservist, and am also a retired Victoria Police Officer with 25 years of service (2 careers !!!!). Now I can "relax" in retirement, and carry on building scale models and working on 1 to 1 scale operational, vintage military vehicles at a local Cdn Army reserve unit that has a museum with 16 operational vintage military vehicles.

To say that I'm learning a lot about vehicles would be an understatement. The one that I've "inherited" for care and maintenance, and driving is a Daimler Ferret Mk 2/3, which I'm working on the get operational for our display season that will be starting shortly.

I'm looking forward to learning from everyone on this board in the future, and hope one day to have my own vintage vehicle.

Cheers,

Chris Preston,

Victoria, BC,

Canada

Hi Chris, welcome to the club.

Just retired from 25 years on construction projects all over the world. My interest's are military vehicles and model making of the same.

Regards

Sean

U.K.

Greetings from east of you. I have a ferret and can tell you one thing that is very important. DO NOT DRIVE IT ON ICE. It will try to kill you. If you want to know something funny Half Tracks and most tracked units will also try to kill you on ice. Glad to have another Canuk around. Eddy

Chris,

Welcome to the H.M.V.F.! I have been to Victoria (I am from the other side of the 'Big Pond'!) in 1997 for the 25th Anniversary of my wedding. Lovely place.

I have a GPW Jeep.

Yes! I second Tony B., please, send pictures of the collection!

Thank you!

The alamo

Hi Chris welcome to the site. I too am fairly new and almost a neighbor . We live in Vernon only a few hours away. I am currently in the process of trying to purchase a cvrt (sabre light tank ) and now want to pursue hobbies as I too have just retired. Hope to talk soon, Al Hale.

• 1 month later...

Chris,

A big welcome to you to the forum...Also welcome to the wonderful world of being a Historical Military Vehicle owner...My 1954 Ferret MK1 is from the Canadian Army i have been trying to find out any previous crew member and any pictures of it....Enjoy retirement......