British DR helmet sizes ?

aramsay

Hello.

I am looking for a British DR helmet, and would like to know if folks know what the sizes as marked on the band mean in cm's ?

There are currently a few Size.7 ones about....what would that be and how much adjustment is given by the "laces" ?

My heid measures about 57cm.... :angel:

Hello.

I am looking for a British DR helmet, and would like to know if folks know what the sizes as marked on the band mean in cm's ?

There are currently a few Size.7 ones about....what would that be and how much adjustment is given by the "laces" ?

My heid measures about 57cm.... :angel:

Hi

it seems you need a basic lesson in arithmetic first... The British express head size in a "notional " Diameter size... the overseas's chappies in Circumference....

so converting Cm,s into sensible inches gives us 22 1/2 inches......divide that by Pi ( 3.142 ) and you get 7.16 "...the diameter.

The laces give you an adjustment that fine tunes the fit...but wont really alter the size much...however the leather band is padded out from the steel helmet with felt which is 3/4 inch thick ( 21mm ) at the back half of the helmet.

You can carefully remove layers of this (or add ) to fine tune the fit.

At the front of the helmet a leather crush pad filled with similar felt that can be carefully thinned out.... this abuts the forehead...

I removed my inner helmet lining from the steel shell bit by drilling out the 4 rivits so I could get at the works and make my helmet a really good and comfortable fit.

if you don't get a good fit you will curse the thing and end up wearing a nasty modern helmet instead and look out of kilter..

you can reassemble the helmet with small modelling nuts and bolts, and fill in the slot in the small bolt head with filler and then paint it. regular "Dubbin " on the leather bits will keep it soft and improve the comfort...this is most important

I can wear my helmet all day once sorted..but you have got to work at getting it to suit your shape head first.

I guess a size 7 will do you but maybe keep looking for a 7 1/4

Best of luck....and Keeeeeep Riding ...

The only thing I would add to that excellent description is that I managed to slice out the liner felt on mine without having to remove it from the shell. Not easy but it can be done with a long thin sharp blade. You will probably find that the 7's that are generally the ones available will be too tight. I'm the same size as you and a 7 gave me a pain in the head just by putting it on! :-) The 7. 1/4 ones would be much better but they rarely seem to come up and usually fetch about twice the price. Best of luck.

The British steel DR helmet was made in a size range from 6 & 1/4 through to 7 & 3/4"..........sizes went up by 1/4" rather than 1/8ths as on "soft" headdress...........the two largest helmet sizes 7 & 1/2 and 7 & 3/4 used a larger helmet shell than the other sizes..............

Theoretically, a Size 7 equates to a 56cm head circumference, a 7 & 1/4 a 58cm, etc..............

Bear in mind however, that the felt/horsehair padded liners are not well sized...........my 7 & 1/4 is a far worse fit than a size 7..............I also have a size 7 & 3/4 that is like a bucket ! You turn your head and the helmet stays still.......:-D

And also remember when you fall off or get knocked off your bike all this messing around with it can cost you your life

so either buy the right size or get a modern helmet that is the right size a pudding basin one with a sting net on looks ok

Commander

Even the most exorbitantly priced, modern, hi-tech helmets are acknowledged by rigorous testing to only be effective at resisting direct impact up to 19mph. OK abrasion and indirect 'rolling' type impacts are different but don't put too much store on any open face type helmet giving you more than nominal protection. So I would not worry too much about reducing any level of perceived protection. The layer of felt in these helmets originally provided b****r all protection so a bit less felt will provide a bit less of b****r all, which frankly is no b****r difference at all :-) Apart from resisting gravel rash there never was much protection anyway, but the steel shell will still provide that. But each to their own, and if you feel happier wearing modern lid go ahead.