M3A1 Stuart in Uruguay

Hello,

here is a message from Mayor Javier Busconi in Uruguay :

"The M3A1 that we start to restore belongs to the 4th. Cavalry Mechanized Regiment in Montevideo Uruguay.

In an old picture (2008) it looks pretty well painted in a Uruguayan Cav. traditional cammo, but it is only an external make up. Right know the Stuart looks abandoned whit a lot of dirt and rust.

On Friday we start with the dismounting of the turret and other components, tomorrow I’m planning to remove the engine (Continental W670) and start to make a list of missing parts.

I hope next week we can start to sand blast the full turret and work in all the components in the basket.

I look for you help because I know that during all this presses I’m going to have a lot of dubs that requires the knowledge and expertise from professionals and enthusiasts on this kind of old tanks.

The Uruguayan Army Number of the Stuart is E-3045, but may be some pictures are better.

I know is a hard project but the Uruguayan Army used the M3A1 till 1996 so it means that is easy to find some parts around. What I really want is your help with some technical details, so we can give to our M3 the right historical grade that it deserve. "

uruguay1.jpg

uruguay2.jpg

uruguay3.jpg

uruguay4.jpg

uruguay5.jpg

uruguay6.jpg

uruguay7.jpg

uruguay8.jpg

uruguay9.jpg

Edited by the_shadock

First thing is to take as many photographs from as many different angles as possible of it assembled ( and each component and during the strip) it will be invaluable when it comes to re assembly. after a good clean spray everything in penetrating oil and let it wick into to all the threads and joints , do this before you let the keen young mechanics try to pull it apart. don't let them cut or grind anything off until the grumpy old workshop foreman has had a look at it first.

looks like a great project !

"It was a very tough week, but we made some progress on the M3A1 Works. I send you some pictures, tomorow (Monday) we start to sandblast the turret and a lot of small pieces, the other big job for tomorrow is to remove the engine from the hull.

The main gun was send to the Ordnance Mantenance plant of the Army, so they can work on it with proper tools."

some more photos :

uruguay10.jpg

uruguay11.jpg

uruguay12.jpg

uruguay13.jpg

uruguay14.jpg

uruguay15.jpg

uruguay16.jpg

uruguay17.jpg

uruguay18.jpg

uruguay19.jpg

uruguay20.jpg

uruguay21.jpg

uruguay22.jpg

uruguay23.jpg

uruguay24.jpg

Pierre-Olivier

Congratulations on the start of the restoration.

The tank seems to be in very good condition with a lot less rust than I have seen on some other tanks. The fact that the Uruguayan army used the M3 until 1996 is a help as well. There should be spare parts lurking about in storage facilities if you look hard enough.

Any chance of M3's that are surplus to collectors and others in Uruguay to sell some?

Goran N

• 1 month later...

03/04/2014 :

"The last week was really a nightmare for me and my team. A lot of different kind of obligations keeps us away from the Stuart, but on weekend we start to sandblast different parts and others start to work on the engine. So far so good but time is our worst enemy. Other problem was the sandblast machine, that gives to us a lot of problems, but I think next week we can see some advances on the work.

It’s funny to see in some pictures the M3A1 Turret on a Russian URAL Truck"

uruguay25.jpg

uruguay26.jpg

uruguay27.jpg

uruguay28.jpg

uruguay29.jpg

uruguay30.jpg

uruguay31.jpg

uruguay32.jpg

uruguay33.jpg

uruguay34.jpg

uruguay35.jpg

19/04/2014

"So far so good. The last week I was working alone on the Stuart, because the perssonel of my unit was on Leave cause of the Easter Hollydays. But at least I can sand blast a lot of parts of the turret.

On monday we are going to see another Stuart because we are trying to find a engine in bether conditions that the one we have."

uruguay36.jpg

uruguay37.jpg

uruguay38.jpg

uruguay39.jpg

uruguay40.jpg

uruguay41.jpg

Looks like a fun project , the sand blaster looks a little small or is that one for doing the delicate parts ? I take my parts to a guy who does sandblasting commercially , the compressor is a similar size to the engine that came out of your tank.

have you rung around all the Army stores to see if any spare parts are sitting on the shelves in warehouses? and is that a purpose built engine stand ? finding things like that make life a lot easier !

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...