CAN any one ID this . WW1

Morris C8

Looking at the guns mount and the number of vehicles pulling it plus barrel lenght. I'd say that was more likley a Howitzer. The Famous Big Bertha was not the gun that shelled Paris, but six Krupp built 420 mm about 15 inch howitzers speciffically built to defeat Belgium border forts. I'd reckon that to be anOBICE DA 305/17 . about 44 were built. 305 is the calibre 17 being the length of barrel as to calibre.

Edited by Tony B

• 2 weeks later...
Looking at the guns mount and the number of vehicles pulling it plus barrel lenght. I'd say that was more likley a Howitzer. The Famous Big Bertha was not the gun that shelled Paris, but six Krupp built 420 mm about 15 inch howitzers speciffically built to defeat Belgium border forts. I'd reckon that to be anOBICE DA 305/17 . about 44 were built. 305 is the calibre 17 being the length of barrel as to calibre.

Fiat 20. Nicky Armstrong in Italy has one. Weighs 10 tons, 11 litre engine . Can tow up to 40 tons.

• 7 months later...

Could those be sprags attached to the back axle. They appear as two sets of rods per side. That would point the time frame of construction to be early in the war.

The front axle appears to have spokes, the engine is mounded in a sub-frame, and the clutch has a hole in the face.

As to a manufacturer, I'm uncertain.

Doug

Could those be sprags attached to the back axle. They appear as two sets of rods per side. That would point the time frame of construction to be early in the war.

Doug

Surely those are the return springs for the brakes (dual system- parking and service) you can follow the linkage up past the gearbox.

David

Surely those are the return springs for the brakes (dual system- parking and service) you can follow the linkage up past the gearbox.

David

So correct David. I've enlarged the photo and the nature of the springs shows up. Sprags also tend to be mounted lower on the axle.

Doug

Hi Gents,

This is a AEC Y type, pressed steel chassis version.

Seb

I can add this photo to my collection for recording and the identification of bits found. There are not many photos of the underside of trucks about. Thanks Seb.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

some more original ww1 photos that came in the post. ww1 Benz truck and a what looks like a generator on the left on one of the photos. Trucks have K on the side and a French truck.

Keith

photo 2a009.jpg

photo 2a005.jpg

photo 2a007.jpg

Edited by Morris C8