CAN any one ID this . WW1

Morris C8

Durkopp is another possibility. Perhaps the wheels were used by a number of manufacturers. Stilltimecollectionco.uk have a photo of a Durkopp tractor with a winch that appears to have a strongly mounted cable-feed at front and directly below the radiator.

I think the Austins had twin drive shafts so maybe not that make of chassis.

I stand corrected, not wishing to sow disinformation. In my defence I only Goggled Austin Armoured Cars and viewed the images. Upon viewing again, and looking at more, the image I chose is also listed as a Peerless.........:banghead: It does appear to show the deep 'chassis' rails though.

The turret as shown on the photograph appears to be of the type built originally for the Navy, then transfered on to the Army. The chassis it sits on has a diff rather than chain drive so that excludes Peerless.

The wheels in the photo are not all that clear. They could be wood suggesting an American chassis, or a Sakey type pattern being British. The alloy gear box and size of the engine should be a clue.

Doug

The Austin 'twin shaft' only appeared as a 2 ton lorry, not the chassis used for armoured cars. The 'twin shaft' was a financial disaster for Austin, a cancelled order for Russia being the basic cause, two variations were built although in late 1913 a larger 4/5 version was built experimentally as was a forward radiator version in 1917. Other than a brief excursion into lorry building in 1919 Austin left the commercial vehicle market until the late 1930s. One 'twin shaft' of original specification survives in an Essex collection.

Richard Peskett.

The Austin 'twin shaft' only appeared as a 2 ton lorry, not the chassis used for armoured cars. The 'twin shaft' was a financial disaster for Austin, a cancelled order for Russia being the basic cause, two variations were built although in late 1913 a larger 4/5 version was built experimentally as was a forward radiator version in 1917. Other than a brief excursion into lorry building in 1919 Austin left the commercial vehicle market until the late 1930s. One 'twin shaft' of original specification survives in an Essex collection.

Richard Peskett.

The order from Russia and was addressed to the British government and was for about 1200 lorries. The Russians didn't specify what make and it was the War Office/Ministry of Munitions that determined they would be Austins as they could be supplied without interrupting the supply of lorries to the War Office from other makers. After months of debate as to whether the Russians could afford to pay for them, the order was finally placed but then the Russian Revolution intervened and the order was cancelled by the British government. Austin did rather well out of the War office compensation for the cancelled order. It's a measure of what the War Office thought of the twin shaft Austin that even after paying for them, they didn't want them. So, while it is true that Austin didn't make enough Austin twin shafts to be financially a success, they did get paid for around 1,000 which they didn't have to build, so wasn't entirely a disaster.

For those of us not familiar with them, how did the twin shaft design work? I am imagining two pairs of bevel gears and a prop shaft for each rear wheel, directly replacing chain drives, with the diff in the back of a normal chain drive style gearbox. Alternatively a diff with its axis in line with the c/l of the vehicle and driving two shafts, one either side of it but still parallel to it, which drive seperate prop shafts, each to a crown wheel and pinion for each rear wheel. Still a crazy way to do it!

David

Thank you Charawacky for answering my question two minutes before I posted it, that was very clever !

Edited by David Herbert