Stalwart FFR

lowfat

heater coolant lines replaced

fuel tank in

hydraulic tank in

still loads to do.

I would change the brake hydraulic pipes if they are till original...they will fail on you soon and losing the brakes is scary, even if it is a dual system...it seems to lose all its brakes once one of the hoses goes..

are the air lines still good, if you can change them too it is a good idea...anything to do with the brakes seems important to me to change if they are in anyway suspect...

Hi paul I replaced the brake hoses first... seems a lifetime ago and overhauled the calipers and over air system.

Next is 4 more input pinon oil seals and air compressor then the gearbox selector and shaft.

• 3 weeks later...

that is a bugger, is the engine still in, at least you can get to the rear ones, still a bit fiddly but easier than the front ones with everything in...

why is the drive line so bad, has the old girl been heavily abused and neglected, no oil in the system etc...on my off road stolly I greased up one of the hubs instead of oil, blocking the oil pipe because the seals had gone, since she is only ever run on the off road routes at relatively slow speeds circa less than 10 mph I felt she could survive like that and has...

inner tracta joint damage is bad news for the bevel box etc...but maybe you just need a bigger tug on it that expected...

I found water, emulsified oil or empty bevel boxes. the centralised lube system just dumped the oil into the hull through the front bevel box handbrake seals and various input pinion seals.

I have looked at various bevel box/ tracta fork pictures on the net and my forks seem to be damaged far worse than any others I've seen.

Its first private owner used to take her from kent to the lakes I can only presume that no maintenance was ever done.

The rear wheel station is back on without the tracta knuckle as the farmer wants the space its occupying for the summer .

Left rear bevel box is now a problem for future John.

The slide hammer was up to 30 lbs and hardly moving it when I called it game over.

Edited by lowfat

• 3 weeks later...

Got the old girl running and moved this weekend.

speedo works, bearing noise is gone, handbrake works a treat.

flushed the coolant and refilled with anti freeze mix.

serviced the radiator debris guard... it was blocked solid. trying to get the lights working now... there in a bad way.

IMG_0733.jpg

IMG_0732.jpg

Edited by lowfat

• 10 months later...

Not much been happening. Have moved to Cornwall with both trucks now outside the Cornish weather is bleak to say the least.

Not sure if its possible to to continue as my new storage location has no power or shelter...

Also lost my spanner mate which made stolly work achievable...

John

Most people do not realise how much work these vehicles can be and how hard it is to try and do things on them by your self.

I hope you find a spanner pal and the drive to go on.

On my stalwart I find I never get as much done as I need to, but I just keep working away when I can and very slowly it is happening.

Ron

You have my sympathies. I simply couldn't run my vehicles without the small team that help me ... and for larger tasks on the 436 with help from the members of the 432 forum. You need to find a fellow Stalwart owner or two in your neck of the woods and help each other out on major tasks. Regret that I can't offer more physical or practical support from deepest Yorkshire.

Think positive - Summer is promised and at least the weekends in the barn won't be freezing.....

Nic

Stalwart/436/Pig

Well my Stalwart arrives Thursday.

Actually my 2 stalwarts arrive Thursday.

One seems fairly complete swimmer, road registered with a clansman radio installed. The other is a rusty non runner and supplied for spares.

the FFR will need commissioning as it has been LGS for several years and has a broken tracta joint as one rear station is not in line with the others.It is dry inside the load cover has worked well and starts on the button.

hope I don't regret it....

I have complete wheel stations