Stalwart FFR

lowfat

Well my Stalwart arrives Thursday.

Actually my 2 stalwarts arrive Thursday.

One seems fairly complete swimmer, road registered with a clansman radio installed. The other is a rusty non runner and supplied for spares.

the FFR will need commissioning as it has been LGS for several years and has a broken tracta joint as one rear station is not in line with the others.It is dry inside the load cover has worked well and starts on the button.

hope I don't regret it....

Hi there if you embrace the discipline of reversing 2 vehicle lengths after you have been driving on the road you will preserve the rest of your tracta joints and bevel gears.

You will save yourself a lot of anguish and money.

Good luck Adrian T

• Like 1

in all my years of my working with stollies and hearing how to stop wind up I have never heard anyone recommend this and yet it seems so perfect. On my pajero it can get very wound up, such that it will not disengage from 4 wheel drive, the only way to unwind it is to go in reverese..it must have a similar effect on the stolly, to a degree, good point indeed..

Now theres ya problem.. Broken tracta joint

attachment.php?attachmentid=88759&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1395439830

Was this engineered to fail in order to protect other internals in the driveline or wheel hub, which presumably are more expensive and difficult to make?

Edited by datadawg

Alvis must have found a easy way fitting wheel stations at the factory..

One day someone may tell or show us.

I think it was called an army maintenance depot, with mechanics and grunts by the dozen, all available at no charge to fix whatever calamity arose. No charge that is, except the truck full of cash expended by the treasury and borne by the common man. In private ownership, alas, this arrangement doesn't work!

• 9 months later...

I bought a set of 12 tractor joints so at the moment I have probably around 15 new knuckles and 5 worn usable ones.

I believe he has more I got them off Ash collection on here. Very reasonably priced.

I have quite an inventory. Gearbox,steering rack, shock absorbers ,Bumpstops, Brake parts,Various seals and bearings Just missing the mojo.

What spares are you looking at? I have been offered new and used wheelstations but storing them is problem for me.

I really need to find reasonable under cover storage.

Edited by lowfat

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

So spent the Day at Stalwart Plaza. Broke more than I fixed but that's the way it goes.

Got it running "yeah"

Air compressor offload valve is stuck "BOO"

Spliced eyes into new rope for the load deck Tarp. "Yeah" looks good but I used blue Nylon rope so it stands out  a bit.

One of Fire extinguishers exploded due to corrosion "Boo" a handle held one on the cab side.

Freed off door looks and latches "Yeah"

Blew the steel brake pipe on the forward lh brake caliper"BOO" not sure what to do about that.

May go tomorrow as well If I do I may supply pictures

• 1 year later...

So small steps to get back on the stolly Mojo road.

I have to make a set of the front  caliper hard brake pipes. Ive got the 5/16 pipe . I would like to replace the female cones so I can have a bit of production run. Any body know the correct ones?

stalwart front rh caliper brake pipe.jpg

Thanks for the pointers. I will try and touch base with him.

Meanwhile I made a prototype Pipe bender i used a 68 mm hole saw to copy the internal radius of the bend and scewd the blank to a piece of plywood.

I used 10mm bolt for the pivot point of the handle. I got some skate board bearing races of amazon for  the former. I got mixed results the test bend was perfect the full sized pipe ended up a little flat.

Pipe bender 1.JPG

pipe bender handle and former.JPG

pipebender 2.JPG

Pipe bender 3.JPG

pipebender 4.jpg

pipe bender 6.JPG

prototype brake pipe.JPG

• Like 1