Richard nope its not a cloaking device.

OK, you did not say that it was Not a submarine, so going at something else you said, is it refuelling and fresh water pipes for serving a sub at sea, enabling them to stay out of port and on patrol longer?

Dammit, just looked on the previous page, a bloody landing craft, :embarrassed:

Edited by Richard Farrant

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OK, you did not say that it was Not a submarine, so going at something else you said, is it refuelling and fresh water pipes for serving a sub at sea, enabling them to stay out of port and on patrol longer?

Richard its not a submarine or a support vessel for one. Nor directly related to submarine warfare.

I'm still about but not with the vaguest of ideas.

I the dotted line a structural element of the vessel?

Well it is an additional structure on the vessel & attached to it at certain points. But it is not an essential structural part of the vessel. The vessel was built independent of this structure & it can function perfectly well without it. The red structure was later imposed on it for an additional purpose.

I think I'm going to bed now, but I suppose its the middle of the day for you;)

direction finders for guiding the tanks onto the beach? Alec
Nope

Radio antennas Alec

Well done Alec, yes the wireless aerial system for normal MF, IF & HF communications required for all vessels.

This was a major preoccupation trying to accommodate various aerial combinations onto vessels of varying sizes & configurations. One of the great problems was choosing the appropriate frequency and power levels to get maximum or a tactically required maximum communication range for a series of different vessels.

To help with comparisons for all the various aerial combinations a value of mean effective height (MEH) of the aerial was devised. In the paper dealing with smaller motor vessels this sketch for the landing craft had been added. These figures relate to calculating MEH.

Dsc06694_zps56bf70e7.jpg

It had to be comms of some description!

The various lengths and heights for different frequencies/strengths have been an embuggerance to shipping for many years!!

Thankfully sorted out through a combination of digital and VHF these days.... :-D

Alec.