CVR(T) Gearbox Output Shaft Dimensions Required

martinwcox

Hi All,

I need to make one of these:

Output Shaft TN15 Puller.jpg

So I need some dimensions of this including the location of the holes in the perimeter, the one the spring loaded plunger locates.

Output Shaft TN15.jpg

If anyone has a spare box that they could take some measurements to facilitate the tool fabrication I would be most grateful.

TIA

Martin.

Martin,

I have one of these pullers but cannot locate it at present. With the photo you have posted you have all you need, just get a vernier and measure the coupling internal diameter within the splines, depth of splines and distance of plunger hole centres from end of coupling. Cannot recollect what the end of the screw pushes on, so you might need to turn up a dolly to go in the end of the shaft to protect it. It is sometime since I had one of these apart.

cheers Richard

Martin

I dont know why I couldnt figure this out. i must have been tired.

The dimensions you need are:

Inside diameter at narrowest point = 90mm (ie top of spline to top of opposite spline)

Diameter of holes where the plungers go = 6mm

Distance from centre of plunger holes to outside edge = 11mm

Depth of splines = 25mm

I usually measure once and cut twice but I double checked these! Hope this helps.

The end of the shaft has a dimple so as Richard says might be a good idea to turn something up to protect it.

Cheers

Tim

Tim,

Perfect!

I didn't want to pull the box out without having the puller and to make the puller I needed to take the box out!

Ergo, dimensions are needed and you my man have made me a very happy guy!

Cheers,

Martin.

Martin

I dont know why I couldnt figure this out. i must have been tired.

The dimensions you need are:

Inside diameter at narrowest point = 90mm (ie top of spline to top of opposite spline)

Diameter of holes where the plungers go = 6mm

Distance from centre of plunger holes to outside edge = 11mm

Depth of splines = 25mm

I usually measure once and cut twice but I double checked these! Hope this helps.

The end of the shaft has a dimple so as Richard says might be a good idea to turn something up to protect it.

Cheers

Tim

Tim,

Perfect!

I didn't want to pull the box out without having the puller and to make the puller I needed to take the box out!

Ergo, dimensions are needed and you my man have made me a very happy guy!

Cheers,

Martin.

Martin,

You will need the tool to release that nut before you use the puller.

Richard

Richard,

It looks like a slotted nut and a locking tab washer from the parts manual picture, are you saying there is a special tool that is required.

Thanks,

Martin.

Martin,

You will need the tool to release that nut before you use the puller.

Richard

Richard,

It looks like a slotted nut and a locking tab washer from the parts manual picture, are you saying there is a special tool that is required.

Thanks,

Martin.

Martin,

I might be wrong, but my recollection of changing seals in these boxes, when they were in service was that it is a ring nut, requiring a castellated box spanner. From the illustration it appears to be hexagon, but pretty sure it is not.

Richard

Richard,

You may be thinking of this which is used for the inner seal I am told:

Gearbox Inner Seal Tool.jpg

Now if only I had the dimensions!

Cheers,

Martin.

Martin,

I might be wrong, but my recollection of changing seals in these boxes, when they were in service was that it is a ring nut, requiring a castellated box spanner. From the illustration it appears to be hexagon, but pretty sure it is not.

Richard

Martin

Richard is as ever correct! It is a ring nut rather than a hex (see pic). Dimensions are as follows.

Outside diameter of ring = 40mm

Distance from bottom of flat to bottom of opposite flat = 36mm

Each flat is 7mm long

Hope this helps!

Tim

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392158587.646224.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

Tim,

Fantastic - picture as usual tells the whole story, now it all makes sense.

Can't thank you enough, now to convince my machinist buddy to get the mill and lathe fired up.

Cheers,

Martin.

Martin

Richard is as ever correct! It is a ring nut rather than a hex (see pic). Dimensions are as follows.

Outside diameter of ring = 40mm

Distance from bottom of flat to bottom of opposite flat = 36mm

Each flat is 7mm long

Hope this helps!

Tim

[ATTACH]87344[/ATTACH]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

So based on Richard and Tim's info I just bought this which will require a slight modification, its from a motorcycle shop and is used on the swinging arm nuts on various models.

Off the shelf its 33mm ID and 43mm OD so it will need the ID increasing by about 3 - 4 mm.

SOCKET WRENCH TOOL.jpg

• 1 month later...

I am hopeful that there will be enough structural integrity to get a few uses at least, time will tell.

Martin.

interesting, will there be enough meat left after you thin it out Martin? Or is it a one time use gig?

Robin

I am hopeful that there will be enough structural integrity to get a few uses at least, time will tell.

Martin.

Martin

If you have to use it more than very very infrequently then I would suggest you need a new gearbox! :D

Tim