Indian 741 B parts wanted

roybaker007

• 3 weeks later...

Well it's strange that the chap who started this thread has not bothered to respond further. I might as well fill up some space with a couple more pictures of the one that I am restoring. I've got the wiring all done and waiting for another parcel of parts from Germany before the final push. Ron

Tony 827.jpg

Tony 829.jpg

Tony 833.jpg

One interesting "aside" Ron, was that years ago now I saw an unrestored 741B and a 340B (Chief) ordered under British wartime contracts.........both had the typical (brass) WD contract plates affixed onto the rear mudguards, no doubt added at UK ordnance depots after they hit UK shores.........might be a nice detail to add...??

Funnily enough Steve. Mike (now 87) who runs our " Indian Riders Club" used to buy ex WD Indian's when you could buy them for 30 quid. He gave me a contract plate that came from one. But it's steel and virtually un-readable. Ron

I'm not quite sure what you mean Lex?

Here are the latest pix from my shed!! Ron

Both original plate's I've seen were on the rear portion of the rear-mudguards....one on a 340B (Chief) and the other on a 741B..............both were brass........steel type may well have been used on later (1942-43) 741B contracts....

I wonder if these plates were fitted at UK Ordnance Depots following delivery of the bikes prior to issue...? Would seem logical.....?

Ron, we're talking dataplates! but nice work on the 741, can we bring the C10 yet??

Steve here's a puzzle:

Indian_344_b.jpg

This plate is on a 344!! (with L/H sidecar) on the front mudguard, other plate I showed was on the rear.

Cheers,

Lex

Edited by welbike

Talking of Chiefs! When I came to fit the crash bars that came with this 741 project....they were far to big. Obviously off a Chief! So I've cut and shut them and re-bent the bottoms to suit.....What a job!! Ron

Tony 835.jpg

Bugger! now you tell me! Have you got a 741 kick start? This one is also off a Chief I think and I've also had to bend it to suit, but I don't really like the look of it. But to save even more time in the future. Could you dump all your spares at my place please. Ron

• 2 months later...
Well it's strange that the chap who started this thread has not bothered to respond further. …...

Not when you realise he is more at home with restoring heaps of junk that most of us would not give a second look, than using computers and the www. I know he has had problems finding his way back to HMVF in just the same way that i have had problems sorting out some of my restoration work that he can do with his eyes shut!

I've only just found this thread and will pass on your reply to him this evening - I'm sure he will appreciate your help Ron.

Tony