• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

l think its as simple as the top of each square is dissected by a wire cross so one leg in each section making crossing

slow causing a build up of attackers

There is a strong element of that Wally but before the poles & wires go in that particular set up with the square things would have taken 10 men about 4 hours to get it set up beforehand.

Clive,

so 40 manhours, about 47 elements, so the best part of an hour to set up each block. Must be quite a complicated structure?

Is the wire the actual structure, or is it layed inside each element? The fact that it takes the best part of an hour to build each 3x3 square seems to suggest the elements are "wound" or made out of the wire?

Mick

Clive,

so 40 manhours, about 47 elements, so the best part of an hour to set up each block. Must be quite a complicated structure?

Is the wire the actual structure, or is it layed inside each element? The fact that it takes the best part of an hour to build each 3x3 square seems to suggest the elements are "wound" or made out of the wire?

Mick

Yes Mike a lot of hard work, the wires are between some of the poles & not wound on any other structure.

Yes well done Lauren. Just holes in the ground!

A great deal of ingenuity has been expended by many thinking something was pointing up at us rather than us looking down into something. The pointed sticks are in the bottom of these very neatly dug holes & the other poles are the mainstays for plain wire to be strung around.

App3917_zpscac05776.jpg

Yes well done Lauren. Just holes in the ground!

A great deal of ingenuity has been expended by many thinking something was pointing up at us rather than us looking down into something. The pointed sticks are in the bottom of these very neatly dug holes & the other poles are the mainstays for plain wire to be strung around.

App3917_zpscac05776.jpg

we got there in the end :)

Interesting stuff Clive. I wonder how effective it was, and whether the idea of digging it in was so that it couldn't easily be seen until the unfortunate souls were on top of it.

FIRST very well done LAUREN secondly as ever sneaky clive see post 20 a hole above GROUND

Yes I thought you were going to get it Wally you certainly put in the time & ideas. Sorry if the reply to #20 was misleading, I should have perhaps put it another way, but I was trying steer people away from things buried under ground.

I wonder how effective it was, and whether the idea of digging it in was so that it couldn't easily be seen until the unfortunate souls were on top of it.

I don't know Lauren I suppose if you were on horseback you could see into it a bit better but on the other hand the cavalry would be charging & there wouldn't be much stopping or turning round.

we got there in the end :)

Interesting stuff Clive. I wonder how effective it was, and whether the idea of digging it in was so that it couldn't easily be seen until the unfortunate souls were on top of it.

I was taught to do something similar in the sense of hiding the obstacle, with what was termed b@stard wire, http://www.arrse.co.uk/wiki/Bastard_Wire

CLIVE your answer did not throw me off l enjoy your mystery objects gets the brain working

Wally I imagined your inquisitive tenacity would not be put off by such side tracks :D

I'm always impressed with the range ideas & humour that these objects throw up. If it had slowed up I was waiting for Bernard to post again & was going to make a reference to Mr Cribbins. These 'oles or shallow pits are depicted with great precision & linearity, I just wonder how rigorously they were actually constructed?

I don't know Lauren I suppose if you were on horseback you could see into it a bit better but on the other hand the cavalry would be charging & there wouldn't be much stopping or turning round.

It's going to be fairly nasty: horses would probably break legs, anyone falling into a pit has a good chance of ending up with the sharpened stake stuck somewhere unpleasant, and the GI wire will stop anyone trying to play hopscotch around the pits. That assumes during daylight; at night the enemy won't see the pits until they fall into them (especially if they try a mass attack on foot) and the resultant screams will have the whole camp alert before the enemy have got themselves out of the trap.

(I was going to suggest "Punji trap" but was beaten to the solution by Lauren.)

I suspect the French translates as "Wolf Pits" (Holes of the wolf).

Concertina wire is a much kinder, gentler, substitute. :D

Chris

It's going to be fairly nasty: horses would probably break legs, anyone falling into a pit has a good chance of ending up with the sharpened stake stuck somewhere unpleasant, and the GI wire will stop anyone trying to play hopscotch around the pits. That assumes during daylight; at night the enemy won't see the pits until they fall into them (especially if they try a mass attack on foot) and the resultant screams will have the whole camp alert before the enemy have got themselves out of the trap.

That's what I was thinking, and I've just noticed that the direction of attack is over the raised edge, which would further hide the installation from advancing troops. Nasty stuff. I'd assumed the raised edge was what you were protecting (a barricade or trench).

If it had slowed up I was waiting for Bernard to post again & was going to make a reference to Mr Cribbins. These 'oles or shallow pits are depicted with great precision & linearity, I just wonder how rigorously they were actually constructed?

Well reckon we had all visualized the cross section OK, but it was that cussed precision & linearity that made us all over think it!

Referring to Mr Cribbins wouldn't have helped as his was 'big and sorta round' :-D

Nice one Clive...:tup::

NEXT!

Well reckon we had all visualized the cross section OK, but it was that cussed precision & linearity that made us all over think it!

Referring to Mr Cribbins wouldn't have helped as his was 'big and sorta round' :-D

Nice one Clive...:tup::

NEXT!

Ah but Bernard you were meant to listen to "the man in the bowler hat" who gave on-site advice that "you're digging it round & it should be square" :D

Ok well I've got another one lined up for tonight (1800). Better not post it now as I have things to do & if I don't respond quickly it might be thought that someone has got too close to the answer & I am hiding :D