which cables are used to power a Penthouse Lamp?

Just watch out with plugs because they have bigger pin spacing on the 250v ones.

I can't remember the polarity on your plug at moment but I think positive & negative supplies float above earth. It is only the screening on the cable (for interference suppression) that is earthed.

Edited by fv1609
Deleted wrong info see post below

Meant to say the plug one end & socket the other is so that a series of these can be strung together with one feeding the next. It is just a straight through feed. When you get the correct plug make sure (for safety reasons) that the live connector on your lead terminates at the connector with the female fittings.

Just been out in the Wolf & found the +ve pin. Of the other two, one is earthed for the screen (makes a difference as some of the inverters emit RF interference) & the other is the -ve for the inverter itself. In my situation both of these are joined together, but can't tell you which is which although often earth is opposite the keyway.

IMG_1927.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone

I've bought a 24v penthouse map lamp for the 101. Does anyone have any spare 3 pin cables which they will part with (screw fitting)?

I've also bought a 240v/24v General illumination penthouse set for the shows. It's a great bit of kit. It's missing the 24v DC input cable (6150-99-901-4833). Any spares about? (save hacking into one of the interconnection cables)

Thanks

Matt

Hello everyone

I've bought a 24v penthouse map lamp for the 101. Does anyone have any spare 3 pin cables which they will part with (screw fitting)?

I've also bought a 240v/24v General illumination penthouse set for the shows. It's a great bit of kit. It's missing the 24v DC input cable (6150-99-901-4833). Any spares about? (save hacking into one of the interconnection cables)

Thanks

Matt

Any pictures of the missing plug as in where it would plug into

I will my friend :-)

The map lamp plug is the same as the pic on Post 1 of this thread.

Cheers

Matt

I suspect I have a plug somewhere but these might be better

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190948304081?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Yellow would be very useful in its anti trip properties ie you can see the thing in daylight easier than black cable

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CABLE-ASSEMBLEY-PENTHOUSE-LIGHT-FV679637-4-NSN-6230991143550-/190948311538?pt=UK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Other_Vehicle_Parts_Accessories_ET&hash=item2c756801f2

Edited by ferrettkitt

• 3 months later...
I've got 4 wired up in the Wolf

Apologies for the thread revival but during my googling on this subject it seems like this may be a likely source of info.

Mainly directed at Clive due to his earlier post, I've also recently purchased some penthouse lamps for the back of my Wolf and am wondering about the best way/position to mount and connect them to the vehicle. Are there any specific fittings I should be looking for? Are they hardwired or demountable?

Many thanks,

Oli

Oli not aware of any specific mod to fit them. On the 90 I fitted 2. One horizontally below the top rear roll cage member & the other below the member just behind the front seats. On the 110 I fitted the same but an additional one in the additional roof member.

I attempted to modify the clamps to attach to the roll cage frame. Although I filled them down to engage the thicker tubing of the roll cage I was unable to engage the clamping mechanism so that was a waste of time.

I just bought some U shaped exhaust clamps & fitted them to tubing & using the thread of one leg of the clamp fitted it into the grommeted hole at the end of each penthouse light & the a nyloc nut. I connected them in series with a feed via a fuse from the batteries to the front one, then another lead to the middle & from the output of the middle to the rear one.

I did use the screening of the cable in the earth feed to minimise the RF interference radiated on the FM broadcast band.

PS I had a set of 4, but I realise I only wired in 3