What do you collect?

Rick W

Just out of curiosity I'm wondering what people on here collect. I spend many a time going to local antique fairs and auctions. I know one of our fellow members collect ordnance shell cases, anyone else collect anything they would like me to keep an eye open for? I have seen a dummy Rarden shell, North Africa Star medal, bayonet, NOS rifle oil tin and what looks like a WW1 gas mask today.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mostly military radio equipment here - more the modern stuff like Clansman that can still be used on the air today.

(I know a WS No. 19 will work but not many people use AM and I dont trust my morse !)

i collect unloved items.

ammo casings with dents and holes,

guns that are way past pretty.

land rover parts and ww2 items i can afford.

if any .303 items count.... i just like them, i got one with text on it:

Tylers boots are the best.

a promo item for a pound.

I collect a few things;

• US Militaria - specifically relating to US Special Forces and MACV-SOG, specifically named groupings from veterans. I also collate interviews with SOG veterans on the site - as can be seen on my website below
  • Books - any history related books but I like scouring second hand book shops for Churchill related books
  • Small scale models - I have about 900 1/76th-1//72nd scale models...getting out of hand. British softskins being my bag here

That kinda keeps me busy along with collecting the vehicles of course

I collect British ww2 Airbourne kit and equipment. Weapons and associated bits n pieces, cleaning and repair kits etc.

Been collecting since was a kid, but was anything and everything then, moved on from badges and medals to uniforms, then equipment and finally weapons.

Do a few displays with my local MVT, enjoy meeting the public and chatting about my stuff and explaining.

Classic cars, motorbikes, tractors and anything WW2, Cold War related ! I have a '41 Chevrolet G7107 cargo a '43 Ford GPW numerous deacs, items of personal kit etc etc. As a result I also collect overdrawn bank statements but as I tell the wife " it's an investment dear " ! :-D

Just out of curiosity I'm wondering what people on here collect. I spend many a time going to local antique fairs and auctions. I know one of our fellow members collect ordnance shell cases, anyone else collect anything they would like me to keep an eye open for? I have seen a dummy Rarden shell, North Africa Star medal, bayonet, NOS rifle oil tin and what looks like a WW1 gas mask today.

Rick

Did you buy the WW1 Gas Mask ? I would ..................as long as it was WW1 !

I collect RFC / RAF Uniforms and flying clothing & aeroplane parts !

Jules

Webbing from Pattern 1908 to Pattern 1937 (& the various leather infantry equipments from the same general period), interspersed with a few bits of uniform, helmets & other headgear, badges (cloth & metal) & any other bits of a soldier's personal equipment that I can obtain for a pittance... ;)

As I work on other folks MV's....not any of those, but have in the past. Personally? transportation related, old 60' and '70's motorcycles, drag race machines or road track...either do, plus a couple of modern, red, and very fast Ducati's. Military Related, Finnish Winter War, and War of Continuation stuff as My Opa was a FOO (nailed more than a few Soviet T series with his Stug III as well!). Most prized on my shelf, are his Binoculars and compass.

cheers

Nick

CWC Canada

Rick

Did you buy the WW1 Gas Mask ? I would ..................as long as it was WW1 !

I collect RFC / RAF Uniforms and flying clothing & aeroplane parts !

Jules

Jules, don't think the gas mask i saw today was WW1. Strange looking mask, had writing on the back, no date but the script looked 1940's, it was attached to a red canister via a canvas pipe. There may be one coming up soon though. Will post some pics up in a while. I did see a nice group of newspaper cuttings,scrapbook regarding the RFC pilots who shot down the zeppelins,I should have got that. In the meantime will keep eyes open for all the other items as well.

Jules, don't think the gas mask i saw today was WW1. Strange looking mask, had writing on the back, no date but the script looked 1940's, it was attached to a red canister via a canvas pipe..

A Gas Mask with a Red canister makes it 1940-1945. Up until then the canister was Brown. The Red canisters denoted that they were proof against a new nerve gas that was introduced by the Germans in 1939. The canister should have a date stamped on it.

A Gas Mask with a Red canister makes it 1940-1945. Up until then the canister was Brown. The Red canisters denoted that they were proof against a new nerve gas that was introduced by the Germans in 1939. The canister should have a date stamped on it.

Thanks for that, will double check it tomorrow.

The Flash light is swedish, the three crowns are the swedish equivilent to the WD broad arrow.

Any swedes please correct me if it is wrong.

Besides the equipment and uniforms that goes together with my vehicels, I collect any models I can find of them.

I also collect danish military equipment and books from around 1700-1900. plus a couple of classic cars and hopefully soon a car for historic racing.

Edited by Niels v

No, it's stuff that may be useful! :-D Notice how once you do have a clean out, it is always the bit you 've thrown out you find you need?

Never had a clean out, trouble is that I can never find the bit I want when I need it.:-D

I have this mask as well, have had it for years. ;)

Me too! I have one of these. I've had it for about 7 years. I think they may have been released from some Govt store in central Europe. They're modelled on the German pre WW2 mask But they aren't German.

Never had a clean out, trouble is that I can never find the bit I want when I need it.:-D

I know I've got one somewhere - then spend half-a-day looking in all the places I can picture it in!:undecided:

I don't actually collect things, I think they collect me!!

John