L4 bren acceserys

tinweasle

Shouldn't the wallet have a pocket on the left to store the multi-part cleaning rod?

I'm also gradually putting together an L4A4 holdall set. I'm currently missing the cleaning rod, tube of grease and contents for the spares tin. Probably some other bits as well.

Yep, the tan '37 pattern webbing wallets later had a 'Pouch' for all the cleaning rod sections. And the later green webbing variants had this also. ;);)

Ok thanks for that, I have the small parts in the tin do you happen to know the full length of the firing pin so I can make sure mine is on the right side of the law.

My wallet is one of the 50's made ones so I wonder why it's missing the cleaning rod holder, other than that is it all looking complete, I think I need another oil bottle and the barrel bag is for a MK3 bren but apart from that?

many thanks

shaun

Ok thanks for that, I have the small parts in the tin do you happen to know the full length of the firing pin so I can make sure mine is on the right side of the law.

My wallet is one of the 50's made ones so I wonder why it's missing the cleaning rod holder, other than that is it all looking complete, I think I need another oil bottle and the barrel bag is for a MK3 bren but apart from that?

many thanks

shaun

EASY to check. When they have been ground down below a usable length. There may well be blued/discolouration near the tip. Due to the heat build up of grinding back.

BUT, the instant way to see it has been Deactivated. Is look at the Point of the Tip (The thin long section) is it ROUNDED. Or FLAT? If it's rounded & not discoloured, it has NOT been touched! If it's flat & looking CLOSELY under a magnifying Loop. There are small grinding scratches/Marks. It's been ground down. If you are in doubt, take a close up photo, & I will be able to confirm for you Mate.

Those photos are very handy thanks, I will have to take a photo of the contents of my small parts tin as I'm not completely sure what all the bits are:blush: But I have some bits not in the photos and to be honest I don't know if they even belong to a bren let alone my L4A2

many thanks

shaun

Those photos are very handy thanks, I will have to take a photo of the contents of my small parts tin as I'm not completely sure what all the bits are:blush: But I have some bits not in the photos and to be honest I don't know if they even belong to a bren let alone my L4A2

many thanks

shaun

That's why I'm confused. Look at 21A© in the manual page reproduced in post #6 - there's a firing pin spring for the LMG, but the pin is apparently for an SLR.

Andy

The idea is for the spare parts tin to contain the parts that may commonly break, the firing pin spring on the LMG was obviously prone to breaking or becoming weak so there is a spare.

The Firing pin of the L1A1 was obviously prone to the tip breaking off so there is a spare L1A1 firing pin. They are seen as two separate items, you will notice there are 2 extractors, one for the L1 and one for the L4.

many thanks

shaun

Shaun, any chance of some photos of your L4A2? Has it been re-marked as a L4A4? Any chance of the serial number?

Cheers, Chris.

The idea is for the spare parts tin to contain the parts that may commonly break, the firing pin spring on the LMG was obviously prone to breaking or becoming weak so there is a spare.

The Firing pin of the L1A1 was obviously prone to the tip breaking off so there is a spare L1A1 firing pin. They are seen as two separate items, you will notice there are 2 extractors, one for the L1 and one for the L4.

Thanks Chris - it seemed slightly odd that instead of the obvious LMG spare firing pin there was an SLR one. So would you bother carrying one in an AFV with only the LMG and some SMGs, I wonder?

Andy

Sorry Chris mine is an L4a3, I was suffering from fat fingers you, you should have the numbers from an earlier thread.

image.jpg

This is is what I have in the small parts tin, no SLR parts yet. But can anyone tell me what's what?

many thanks

shaun

Sorry Chris mine is an L4a3, I was suffering from fat fingers you, you should have the numbers from an earlier thread.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]86461[/ATTACH]

This is is what I have in the small parts tin, no SLR parts yet. But can anyone tell me what's w

many thanks

shaun

Container spare parts:

Piston Post Buffer spring

Spring, Firing Pin

Firing Pin

Gauze (For removing rust from the bore) Flannalette, 4" x 2"

Stay, Extractor

(the pin to the right of the F.P. is a pin retaining Firing pin. It fits into the piston extention & should NOT be in the tin!)

Firing pin spring

The black pin to the right of the F.P spring is a pin, retaining Piston. & also should NOT be in the tin!)

Extractor cartridge

These 'sets' were sold by certain dealers after Deactivating the Guns Proper. As the piston SHOULD have been removed from the piston extention upon Deactivating.

They were put in these 'set's' to bulk them out a bit more, & the retail price for the 'Set' seemed a little more 'Reasonable'!

Also, when Deactivating LOT's of weapons. It is a fact that some of the components that are removed. Soon build up & require much needed storage space! Some are of a class that HAVE to be destroyed. Or sold/Traded with other Sec.5 dealers to remain Legal. Some like these Bren/Lmg sets, Can be sold on. They SHOULD morally be left in the Weapon. As the 'Customer' SHOULD get as much back as he is Legally entitled to own!

The 2 pins I mentioned above. Were ONLY fitted/Exchanged by the Unit Armourer. As they required the heads to be riveted over, to retain their respective components. Certain clearances would have to be observed known only to the Armourer. That would enable the weapon to function correctly. I have fitted 'Quite a few' of these parts whilst I was a serving Armourer, during my Service time!

Oh Yes! THAT picture of 'Your' (?) Firing pin is showing an untouched example!...I would just grind approx. 1/4" off the thin section of the tip If I were you!..............:-X

Whilst I remember, If your spares set up is for the L.M.G & NOT a Bren (.303") the extractor SHOULD be marked 7.62 underneath.

A standard .303" variant is left blank.

Hope this helps you?

Edited by ferretfixer