Bedford MW

Davey089

I'll pop down to my MW at some stage this weekend (it's overdue a visit) and take some pictures in the back body... I understand that it's mostly original... I hope anyway... Saying that some of the hooks aren't 100% correct and additional hooks were put on the side panels above the wheel arches!

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Dave

There is a lot more steel work holding the body together on the MW than you can see from the outside i had to build the body for my truck from scratch using photos and drawings supplied by Mike Humphreys the angle iron that runs along the inside of the body runs down both sides and around both of the wheel boxes the first seven photos show Mikes truck being stripped down during his rebuild and the last photo is the inside of my truck before i fitted the MWR interior

[ATTACH=CONFIG]103124[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]103125[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]103126[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]103127[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]103129[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]103130[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]103128[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]103131[/ATTACH]

hope these help

Nicky

Thanks for that Nicky , I was curious about the angle iron bits around the wheel box's thought it probably was to do with the rot , but now its cleared it up I'll get some new pieces knocked up as the metal work is also well corroded .

Cheers

Dave

Dave,

If you wish I could pop down with mine to use as a reference ?

Regards

Andy

That's very kind of you Andy .I'm going to get all the timbers cut and floor replaced ,then its the putting the rest back together correctly that's going to be the tester so your offer is much appreciated .I'm going to get Paul from Rusty Wrecks to make me some new liners for the wheel arch box's which will probably be in the next couple of weeks so using yours as reference will be very helpful .Thanks again Andy

Dave

Dave,

Just tell me when, as I need to empty the back. I was over at Kirby Stephen, first trip of the season.

Andy

Thanks Andy much appreciated ,hope you had a good trip certainly the weather for it today .Remind me on I have those starter motor parts of yours.

Dave

Help :-D I understand the bolts that hold the cab onto the chassis are Whitworth ? could anyone advise me what size they are , I'm wanting to replace the castellated nuts that are badly corroded .

Thanks

Dave

Made up some of the metal work today for the MW , going to replace the floor next week so looking at August to be on the road ...........fingers crossed. The drilled holes are misaligned thats because I followed the holes exactly to the ones that were on the originals .:-D

IMG_0974.jpg

Edited by Davey089

Hi Andy I am looking to start on my floorboards next week what thickness are yours ? I'm guessing around 1 1/4" ?

Cheers J.

Hi J

The floorboards measured up at 1" , I'm getting a slightly bigger size and machining it down(well a friend who has a joinery shop is ) .I found a mixture of wood while stripping it down the "side skids" and other add on pieces of timber are mahogany !

Dave

Edited by Davey089

Got all the floorboards off today , cut into the middle of a board and they measure 1 1/8" , sorry J .Also making a new cross member both ends are rotten and a few planks to replace on the sides .Had a good day managed to get all the floorboards planed down to size so Friday should have the floor done :cool2:.

Dave

IMG_0985.jpg

IMG_0987.jpg

Well had a good day today , managed to get all the floor done and replaced the crossmember ,just need to give it a good lashing with preservative now . Can't do anymore this week ,so next week its replace the bad boards in the sides ,headboard and tail board then its reassembly time .

Andy would it be possable to come up and take some photos of yours to use as a reference ?

Dave

IMG_0992.jpg

IMG_0994.jpg

IMG_0996.jpg

Edited by Davey089

Picked up the new mudflaps today courtesy of Paul and Debs (Rusty Wrecks, Appleby) brilliant job Cleaned up the battery box cover that came up good so that's reusable , tomorrow get on with replacing some of the sideboard timbers that are beyond saving ,then hopefully by Friday should have it all back together apart from the wheel arch box's .Then another trip up to see Paul and Debs reference making up the wheel arch liners for me :-).

Cleaning off the headlight rings under the many layers of greens, olive drab and desert camo paints found more traces of the original factory brown paint

IMG_1001.jpg

IMG_1007.jpg

IMG_0999.jpg

• 2 months later...
Picked up the new mudflaps today courtesy of Paul and Debs (Rusty Wrecks, Appleby) brilliant job Cleaned up the battery box cover that came up good so that's reusable , tomorrow get on with replacing some of the sideboard timbers that are beyond saving ,then hopefully by Friday should have it all back together apart from the wheel arch box's .Then another trip up to see Paul and Debs reference making up the wheel arch liners for me :-).

Cleaning off the headlight rings under the many layers of greens, olive drab and desert camo paints found more traces of the original factory brown paint

Would you by anychance be able to PM me the dimensions of that battery cover please? Our bedford had what appeared to be wardrobe chipboard covering the battery

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...