Bedford MW

Davey089

We replaced the bush's and brush's on the starter and the same goes for the Dynamo brush's and bearings, also the connections on the coils need insulating with some shrink sleeving and a good polish up of the internals.

Where did you get the replacement brushes and bearings?

Nick

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where did you get the replacement brushes and bearings?

Nick

I sent the old parts to Robson & Francis ,the old brush's were used as a pattern and they had them made, the bush's were on stock. I'm sending them the Dynamo brush's to be made up .

For the full brush set and 2 bronze bush's it cost me £23.40 which I thought was a good price.

Their number is 020 7733 2353

Dave

Edited by Davey089

Do not know if this helps but once found something similar in a tyre and was told it was a early form of runflat device?

Thanks Wally , I was thinking along the same lines some sort of tyre saver /run flat device . I think Jeeps had something similar

Dave

• 4 weeks later...

Found this on the spare tyre , engine and gearbox dropped back onto chassis, all new tubes wheels painted and back on, brake cylinders all replaced now has brakes ,dynamo brush's arrived so rebuild next on that , all coming together nicely . The cab and body are the next items to get stuck into :).

10492487_872603739469883_7492317791353654484_n.jpg

10940518_861337170596540_7791934520202925291_n.jpg

Hi Pete,

I noticed your MW in a previous thread, and its census (Z) number, Z1642366. If this is your truck, you may not be aware, but all 7-figure numbers starting with 16 are in a category for rebuilt Z class trucks. This is where they have gone though a rebuild programme and given a new identity. If you have the contract number, that will help in giving you the batch of numbers it was originally in.

regards, Richard

Hello Richard - I've no idea how I missed this...

I had no idea until recently that my Z number was a rebuild number... I am presuming this is the ID it got with it's 1945 rebuild plate! I do know the contract number and will dig it out... Pity I don't know the original Z number...

Hello Pete, good to see you here. Whats with the nick name? must be a story behind Tubby Bins

Hey Bish - the nickname is the name of John Mills' character in the 1958 film 'Dunkirk... Sorry - only just seen this post... Sorry to clutter your build post, Dave...

Hello Richard - I've no idea how I missed this...

I had no idea until recently that my Z number was a rebuild number... I am presuming this is the ID it got with it's 1945 rebuild plate! I do know the contract number and will dig it out... Pity I don't know the original Z number...

Hi,

I just replied to your PM and did not spot this until now, hopefully explained it. Catch you soon.

regards, Richard

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Been busy with the restoration , but just to diversify I have 2 NOS No5 Rubbolite rear lamps .What I am wanting to do is if anyone has 2 NOS No5A lamps would they like to swop one to make a pair :cool2:?

If not I'll have to modify the other one by glueing some rubber over the clear lens .

Thanks

Dave

No5.jpg

Acquired these few items recently gen shovel clip , Butler blackout shroud, tyres, air filter unit (not in pic ) and the mystery object made out of wood :-D , anyone have any thoughts on the wooden item ?

Cheers

Dave

IMG_0935.jpg

IMG_0934.jpg

Acquired these few items recently gen shovel clip , Butler blackout shroud, tyres, air filter unit (not in pic ) and the mystery object made out of wood :-D , anyone have any thoughts on the wooden item ?

Cheers

Dave

Is it the butt rest for a lee enfield?

mike

HI AGAIN BLACKSHEEP MAN the block is a form of cable grommet for cables the size of battery cables but willing to be proved wrong

REGARDS WALLY

:-D Hi again Wally,

Was this fitted on the MW , could it be possibly fitted where the battery cables come through the floor ?

Cheers

Dave

DAVE l found what was left of one in the bits and pieces box for the MWC but recall seeing the same design on other

vehicles yes were the cables come through the floor the wooden cross member under the floor has the remains of two woodscrews which match the holes in what,s left of the wooden block

REGARDS WALLY

Nice day sun shining ideal opportunity to get cracked on with the body ,unfortunately strippin the bad bits out found more rot than I thought ,found one of the main frame rails is rotten aswell ,its a full take down :-( .While I'm on I'm going to replace the arch liners and mud flaps as they have a trace of rust worm, so rather than patch them I might aswell replace them .

IMG_0947.jpg

IMG_0949.jpg

IMG_0950.jpg

IMG_0951.jpg

IMG_0953.jpg

Edited by Davey089

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Could anyone supply me with a photo of the inside of the back wooden body so I can use it as a reference .Reason I ask is, I'm not sure if all the angle iron pieces are original fit ,or they have been added at a later date to keep the wheel arch's in place due to rot .

Thanks

Dave

Nice day sun shining ideal opportunity to get cracked on with the body ,unfortunately strippin the bad bits out found more rot than I thought ,found one of the main frame rails is rotten aswell ,its a full take down :-( .While I'm on I'm going to replace the arch liners and mud flaps as they have a trace of rust worm, so rather than patch them I might aswell replace them .

Love the rot, er I mean Rotty! :rotfl::rotfl:

Hi Dave

There is a lot more steel work holding the body together on the MW than you can see from the outside i had to build the body for my truck from scratch using photos and drawings supplied by Mike Humphreys the angle iron that runs along the inside of the body runs down both sides and around both of the wheel boxes the first seven photos show Mikes truck being stripped down during his rebuild and the last photo is the inside of my truck before i fitted the MWR interior

Wheelarch OS rear.jpg

Os front 4 planks.jpg

NSF floor.jpg

Headboard OSF.jpg

Bedford MW Restoration 003.jpg

Base rear R showing holes.jpg

Centre headboard.jpg

DSCF0044.jpg

hope these help

Nicky