Bedford MW

Davey089

Picked up a horn push :) and an ignition assembly yesterday . I was wondering if the ignition assy is early or late war . The switching is good just one of the long fixing screws that hold the bracket on needs replacing .

Is there anyone who supplies stencilling suitable for the switch ?

Dave

Switch assy.jpg

Edited by Davey089

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well done :laugh: where did you find that horn push ? I've part of one but could do with a complete one. I think that's an early type unit you have there later ones had two heads visible on the front. I used 3mm white letraset off epay to restore mine, fiddly job though :nut: plus you will need to spray it when done with a clear laquer to protect the transfers from rubbing.

100_2612.jpg

Later type assembly

Edited by rampant rivet

I rang Pete Gaines and he happened to have one on the shelf . I managed to get a few bits off him . I must admit I'm getting into this vehicle and enjoying the challenge of sourcing the bits, and upto now have done quite well . The Jeep was too easy :laugh: .

Forgot to mention the lever switch and the bezzle on the ignition assy is brass , don't know if that will date it more accurately ?

I was starting to worry about sourcing the parts, but since I've been on the forum and got names from people its helped alot . I've been offered an Engine and gearbox , back axle , steering column ,steering box and diff , so just wondering whether to purchase, and also have the chance of 5 wheel rims. I'm just wondering whether to build up some spares ?

Thanks for the pointer for the "Stencills" .I've looked on Evil bay but the smallest Letraset I can find is 5mm , I'll have to have a scout around the craft shops .

Edited by Davey089

Does anyone know what type of bulb fits the Ignition switch assy warning light and where they can be purchased from ?

Thanks

Dave

NB .

Jeremy I don't know if you got my message but Pete Gaines has 3 MW wheels with tyres on stock , don't think the tyre's are any good though £40 each

• 4 weeks later...

another question :-D going through the box of bits that came with the truck the following tube was in among the bits ,does it belong to the MW and if so where :nut: . All the bits for the flame trap/breather are present , so a bit of a mystery where this part is located if it does belong , it looks as if it has had coolant through it at some point .

It is actually made of brass .

Dave

IMG_0451.jpg

IMG_0452.jpg

Edited by Davey089

Hello Davey,

I don't recognise that from anywhere else on a mw. But i think i know what it is, this my friend is MW bling, it looks like a one piece copy of the airfilter pipe from the flame arestor to the top of the carb?

John

Thanks John, MW bling :cool2: . I think that will go in the scrap bin , or no doubt my lad will find some use for it for his 'Blinged Corsa' :-D .I'll get a photo of the paint I found behind the dash panel posted this week .

Thanks again

Dave

Hi just found your thread on the MW, looks far better than the one we have under restoration. If you have an approximation of its build date I have a copy of Chilwell’s “B” vehicle WD numbers 1939 to 45 so may be able to help. Baz

Hi Baz

Its not in too bad a condition body wise , the engine is getting a total rebuild valves , guides , pistons rebore etc.The body luckily is in good nick . It was dated 1943 , not sure of month .

Thanks

Dave

Here is the side panel off the dashboard with the Brown paint , the main front panel is also brown inside .I took one in the sunlight and one in doors for comparison .Is this the correct colour for 1943 era ? .I was given a tin of bronzey green paint with the truck and told this was the correct colour , but looking at the panel to me its the wrong colour the other person had mixed .

Should I go with the "Brown" that's on the panel ?

Thanks

Dave

IMG_0458.jpg

IMG_0460.jpg

IMG_0458.jpg

IMG_0460.jpg

Edited by Davey089

• 1 month later...

Can anyone tell me the battery lead sizes 10mm / 16mm ? . The ones on the truck I removed are 6mm on the Neg and the previous "Owner/Bodger" has used 16mm single Steel wire Armoured for the Pos :shocked: . I'm wanting to have the master cylinder rebuilt , I understand there is someone that re sleeves/rebuilds them , can anyone tell me who does it please .

Things have slowed down at the moment due to falling off a trailer breaking my Knee cap , Big toe and a few bruised ribs :whistle: .The wings have been removed the body and cab have been unbolted this week by Adam Wright at MV Depot Helperby ready to lift off ,and then its shot blasting and priming time .

Been busy renovating the speedo , ignition assy ,shot blasting and priming the small bits .The air filter was incorrect so a bit of modification was needed as in the photos ,steering wheel next on the list .

P1030654.jpg

P1030658.jpg

P1030661.jpg

P1030674.jpg

P1030664.jpg

• 3 months later...

Its been a while since I last updated my renovation. We've been busy with the engine , full strip down ......new valves , valve guides and springs , re-bore ,new pistons , rings , mains , bigends ..... block, head and manifolds skimmed..... rebuilt clutch etc ,we'll see if the oil pump needs replacing once we crank it over.

The hardest job has been sourcing and making bits that were missing , tool holders , clips, tyres ,vacum wiper motors blades /arms ,door locks etc etc.Another job is to make the metal shields that that fit under the rear wheel arches ,make one good front panel out of two , I've had the seats and two of the canvas mudflaps re-covered.

Its now onto the body and chassis , stripping it down as the photo's , wheels and fuel tanks off then the blasting treatment:).

10570513_764016283661963_2224720182743910965_n.jpg

10561680_764016310328627_1406398804248879950_n.jpg

10525839_764016456995279_8400061642003992848_n.jpg

10599708_764016556995269_3689491495995682991_n.jpg

10390926_764016286995296_2754415971825257233_n.jpg

Edited by Davey089