Wicksteed at War - 13-15 June 2014

skyhawk42

Wicksteed at War show is back for 2014. We look forward to seeing all types of vehicle at the show, including WW1 and amphibious vehicles (wheeled only) which we are hoping to swim in the parks lake. The show is perfectly suited for all the family including childrens play areas and lots of space for parking up.

If you are interested in volunteering as a marshall, or swimming a vehicle then please let me know.

Applications forms may be found on the website - www.wicksteedatwar.co.uk

Contact me tim@wicksteedatwar.co.uk

Clive,

The title of National Show has not been allocated this year.

Tim

Sorry just re-read that Tim. At the first reading I took it to mean that Wicksted had not been allocated the National Show title. But re-reading it perhaps you meant that no show will have that title?

On the MVT site the section for National Show just says "To be populated"

Clive,

My understanding is that the National Show title has been dropped for any show this year.

Tim

Wicksteed at War

Show director

Is there any good reason why such a large national club like the MVT are not holding a annual show? I have attended the last two national show which were excellent and really showcased are hobby.

Regards Tony

Is there any good reason why such a large national club like the MVT are not holding a annual show? I have attended the last two national show which were excellent and really showcased are hobby.

Regards Tony

I am not so sure that it really needs to have one. Are there any benefits to it? With the way fuel and transport now cost's a bomb, I am sure it could put a lot of pressure on members who feel that should attend. And I can imagine there are a lot of politics involved in such shows that may be that energy is better focused elsewhere?

In my opinion, every show should be a show case for history and the hobby :-D

• 1 month later...

Texas Pete. The park have dredged the lake over the winter and done some massive rebuilding of the shore. They have asked for no tracked vehicles. However we are currently planning to swim wheeled vehicles. Anyone thinking of swimming a wheeled vehicle should contact me directly on the email from the show website.

Gas 44 we have actually moved the show date as if we stuck with our normal date it would have landed on the Normandy dates.

Gas 44 we have actually moved the show date as if we stuck with our normal date it would have landed on the Normandy dates.

Which now means you will be competing with the Duxford military show which is on the Sunday15th and only 55 miles away a very well established and supported event both by MV's and spectators, probably both shows may suffer lower WW2 entries as anyone going to Normandy for 7-10 days probably won't want to go out again immediately the next w/e they are back home

Edited by Nick Johns

Which now means you will be competing with the Duxford military show which is on the Sunday15th and only 55 miles away a very well established and supported event both by MV's and spectators, probably both shows may suffer lower WW2 entries as anyone going to Normandy for 7-10 days probably won't want to go out again immediately the next w/e they are back home

That was my point exactly.

Not that it will make too much difference to the show as such, but i know of at least 8 people will not be attending due to Normandy. I must say I am suprised the amount of shows that are on at that time, considering the importance this year of Normandy (of course that does not float every one's boat and its good to have a wide range of interest)

I have also spoken to a number of people that say they would rather "Do Duxford" because of the interest to them, its a tough one. I'm sure it will all work out though.........well maybe.:laugh:

Edited by gas 44

That was my point exactly.

Not that it will make too much difference to the show as such, but i know of at least 8 people will not be attending due to Normandy. I must say I am suprised the amount of shows that are on at that time, considering the importance this year of Normandy (of course that does not float every one's boat and its good to have a wide range of interest)

I have also spoken to a number of people that say they would rather "Do Duxford" because of the interest to them, its a tough one. I'm sure it will all work out though.........well maybe.[/Quote]

With returning vehicles from Normandy likely to be travelling home, I'm very hopeful that we'll see a good range of vehicles at Duxford. With a lot of vehicles in-transit, Wicksteed will probably benefit from the same. I'm sure that there will be more than enough vehicles to make both shows as good as ever.

It's a shame the shows clash though. It looks like both are non-profit groups, and with current austere times we need all of the help we can get. I know we're very grateful to our supporters at Duxford as public help is the only way to keep the museum and volunteer's charity running. I was looking forward to supporting and visiting both shows.

Let's just make the best show(s) we can and hope they don't clash next year. I'm sure they'll both be more than worthwhile, if not better than ever.

Edited by Lauren Child

Texas Pete. The park have dredged the lake over the winter and done some massive rebuilding of the shore. They have asked for no tracked vehicles. However we are currently planning to swim wheeled vehicles. Anyone thinking of swimming a wheeled vehicle should contact me directly on the email from the show website.

Does this mean a BV206 can't swim or attend?

I know tracked vehicles can make a mess but a BV206 makes less mess than most wheeled vehicles.

• 2 weeks later...

Is that no tracked vehicles attending Tim?? Or just no tracked vehicles in the lake???