Some real USAAF heavy weight vehicles!!

P Marriott

Hello all.

I got some pictures of an unknown tanker in use with Italian Air Force in the early Fifties for fuel servicing to the Republic F-84G fighter-bombers.

It should most probably be related to USAF than USAAF, albeit I'm not sure. It was for sure no local production since the overall styling is completely different and we used no semitrailers at that age (see the second picture for an example).

The tractor is an Autocar U-7144-T but 'till now I have found no clues about the semitrailer's manufacturer and precise model.

The pictures date back to 1955 and the trailers seem already worn and weathered, but the 1953 edition of TM 9-2800-1 contains nothing resembling this shape.

I'd exclude the F-2A model, due to the shape of the tail behind the single axle.

Any hint?

T.I.A.

Luca

Ghedi1a..jpg

vlcsnap-14489..jpg

vlcsnap-14935..jpg

vlcsnap-15312..jpg

vlcsnap-20467..jpg

vlcsnap-24372..jpg

vlcsnap-24468..jpg

vlcsnap-24523..jpg

Edited by spa10000

I'm certain this is a post war trailer - looks like a U.S. design too. Somewhere I have a photo of the twin axle version which was on a farm locally as a sprayer bowser - like the single axle tanker above it had a lower profile than the ww2 ones.

I'll keep looking.

Been there several years ago, not just military trucks also classic cars and trucks, think there was a 5th wheel tractor unit in that collection, shame the owner is no longer with us.

Indeed there was.

HPIM0771..jpg

• 6 months later...

Well done to you, Fleetmaster!!! These will make a wondeful outfit.

The amazing thing is not just to be able to find and save both unit and trailer seperately (I've followed the discovery of both), but that they should both be in such unbelievable condition :shocked:

Were you born lucky? :D

Oh, fine thanks, Jack :blush: I knew this was going to lead to me having to admit I've not made much progress this year

"When you wake up in the morning, you can taste success in your spit - isn't that one of your sayings? What'd you have last night then? A curry?"

Alan Sugar.

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
I dont know if any of you have seen this before but thought it might be of interest. Unfortunately there is no information on the back of the photograph as to location or date or anything.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]51669[/ATTACH]

Intava was the aviation fuel part of Vacuum Oil Co, they dropped the Intava name sometime in the late 40's/early fifties and vehicles were remarked Vacuum so that narrows down the date of photo but as to location I have no idea although white wall tyres were probably more common in the USA.