Some real USAAF heavy weight vehicles!!

P Marriott

:sweat:Nice link - is it me or are the guide prices way off???

To me, some seem high, others seem low but it is difficult to form a view on their condition from just one small picture and limited info.

The guide prices could possibly bear little relation to the actual prices achieved.

:sweat:Nice link - is it me or are the guide prices way off???

Certainly looks that way Jack but there is some pretty rare stuff in there amongst the common items. Auctioneers are very often wildly optimistic but there again some people seem to have money to burn if you look at the prices that have been paid recently at auctions in both Europe and America. At the moment a lot of things are cheaper here than on mainland Europe due I suppose to the economic situation and the strength of the Euro against the pound. We have been looking for a s/h tractor recently and have noticed on the web the massive price differential beween here and the Euro zone so it's no surprise that the big dealers here are selling into Europe and buyers especially from Eastern Europe are buying up everything in site at the big auctions.

• 4 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Here are some pictures from the USAAF 15th AF Shuttle Raid to Poltava Russia on June 3, 1944. My father participated in Operation "Frantic Joe" as a B-17 pilot with the 97th Bomb Group, 342nd Bomb Squadron.

Vehicles and Ground Equipment were pre-staged for this mission.

Bill Wolf

op_frantic_tanker1.jpg

op_frantic_tanker2.jpg

op_frantic_tanker3.jpg

i dont think this one has been here before autocar semi tanker

8144T - well done Les, most unusual.

Where is it taken I wonder - do these guys look a bit Persian/Iranian maybe? Difficult to make out style of caps.

ustruck54.jpg

Edited by N.O.S.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Another nice reo shot, well why not two

hen I first saw the photo's I thought it was a wrecker pulling a B17 fuselage on a full trailer, but on re-looking it is a semi-trailer.

So the Reo has wrecking gear up behind the cab, and a fifth wheel at the rear.

What model would that be then? Anyone any more photographs?