Some real USAAF heavy weight vehicles!!

P Marriott

I reckon with all of the help we are giving N.O.S. that the least he could do is to buy a 10 ton stake trailer and convert it to a seated trailer - a sort of Autocar x Charabanc :cool2: and take us on day trips to the coast!

NOS I might have missed it although I don't think so, but can you provide any background to your find (and boy what a find it is!) and any history known about it?

I've always suspected that there would be one of these beauties around somewhere, but had never seen anything to confirm that there was. Was it local to you or did you have to bring it from afar?

Have posted an image here of a 2000 gallon tanker at RAF Ramsbury in 1944 - the guys atop are from the 83rd Squadron, 437th Troop Carrier Group.

Also an image of an example of your new toy in use with the 384th BG presumably taken at Grafton Underwood with one of their B17's - I don't think it has appeared on here yet?

Deuceman, thanks for the photos.

I've known this tanker on and off for the past 14 years or so. It came from a large breakers yard in Hertfordshire, and only survived because it was used until recently as a static diesel bowser. The condition has certainly deteriorated in this time. It had a friend in the same yard which was still complete but in a hopeless state 10 years back, now only the tank remains.

History? I can't give you much - after WW2 it continued in use on an airbase (note US AIR FORCE lettering, not US ARMY AIR FORCE).

In 1957 it was refurbished with a special lining - see photo of plate attached to top steps. Work carried out at Preston by Wincanton Garages. This might have been when the access doorways were gassed into the tank baffle plates? Will take pic when I can get inside :shake:

The tanker was sold at auction (along with several others over the years, including some of the 2,000 gallon type) to the dealer who eventually sold it (sorry, her - Agnes) to me.

Repair Plate.jpg

In 1957 it was refurbished with a special lining - see photo of plate attached to top steps. Work carried out at Preston by Wincanton Garages. This might have been when the access doorways were gassed into the tank baffle plates? Will take pic when I can get inside :shake:

Hope you've got some breathing apparatus before considering going inside? Even after many years there can be high levels of fumes and low oxygen inside tanks.

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
Hope you've got some breathing apparatus before considering going inside? Even after many years there can be high levels of fumes and low oxygen inside tanks.

He is used to low oxygen especially when the wind blows across the fens.I went that way once to collect a trailer.the man said ,if you brake down dont get out of the car.What on earth did he mean.Said something about a banjo.:shake::shake::shake:

Thanks for the advice Norman. Yes I have to plan this with care.

I've already drained out the remaining diesel - next task is to unbolt the two sump bowls (where the 4" dia. suction pipes to the two pumps sit) and flush out a small amount of gundgy residue and the odd dead fish from these areas. The tank has drained to leave a remarkably clean base.

Then there are two big rectangular bolted manhole covers at each end on top, as well as the circular filling hatches to remove so that the tanks can be vented. Pictures can then be safely taken through the hatches.

Until I lift the tank I cannot assess the degree of repairs needed to the underside at each support cradle area. The top under the walkway is also likely to be a bit tender (see pics :shake:). I'm clearing a flat bed trailer to accommodate two steel cradles with large nylon lifting strops as cross members, to allow tank to sit and be turned for repairs.

Fancy a week of welding, Catweazle? :cool2:

Tank Top01.jpg

Tank Top02.jpg

Hard to tell from the photo's but has that walkway been overplated with another type of flooring. Looks like it has and this has corroded away quicker than the original plate underneath.

Looks like you've got a fair bit to re-fabricate there with the walkway alone.

I'm certain it is the original decking with what appears to be a lot of moss underneath :??? - either that or some type of insulation. To be honest I haven't dared to poke it yet, still working up a plan. I'm hoping to get a vaguely similar looking perforated deck material though - have some good contacts for this.

I'm trying to stop this job turning into one of my T shirts -

"I try to take just one day at a time......

but lately several days have attacked me at once"

• 5 weeks later...
I don't think anyone's mentioned it but a tractor/tanker outfit appears in episode 6 of Band of Brothers. It's taken me ages to find - blink and you miss it. Here at about 1min 31secs:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=D2x6FT7qsHo&feature=related

Is it authentic?

What a find, Runflat!

I'm not convinced it is authentic - the ladder does not look quite right, it is a 4 wheel tractor unit and single axle trailer. The cab looks sort of wrong. The tank front looks a little odd too.

What a mystery!!

I believe that the lockers were only on the Air Corps version of the trailers F-1 (double axle) and F-2 (Single Axle). The F-1A1 and F-2A1 were missing much of the steel sheet trim that the earlier versions had. The "A" models also had exposed piping.

From TM 9-2800 Dated 1943 the only trailer pictured with a ladder is the F2A1

That said here is a picture of an F2 at a junkyard not too far from me that has a ladder. It is unknown if original, depot improvement, or a post war civy add-on.

Nice looking trailer...I am still trying to convince the owner to sell it.

Bill

F2_fuel_trailer_01.jpg