Perentie RFSV

juddy

Thanks, Robin. All the perenties that I've seen images of (excluding the ones that were in accidents) all looked to be in excelent condition with no rust issues. Seems that Isuzu diesel is a good powerplant too. Do these trucks have any mechaincal or electrical gremlins that one should watch out for?

Matt

I was buying a Range Rover with an Isuzu engine fitted at the time Chertsey were testing a Perentis. So I phoned a contact and asked if the engine had any problems. I was told 'Don't overfill it wth oil'. My engine did about 500,000 miles I know off. Very solid and relaible engine.

That statement would go for any engine to be honest :)

True ! I do know of one case where someone enthusiastically serviced an automatic. The gearbox locked and the engine blew up. No oil in engine, twice as much fluid in box! :D Or the real classic. A shunter fueler at the garage decided to fill up the engine oil till it came out of the top of the dipstick tube.

• 5 months later...

A few updates on the RFSV. I also see a number of standard Perenties are now being offered for sale in the UK. Bought unseen, be careful.

Fitted the proper boat racks, genuine Hi-Lift Jack.

DSC_0917_zps80ba6650.jpg

DSC_0920_zps56dacdd4.jpg

DSC_0918_zpscfd2906a.jpg

DSC_0832_zps986128bb.jpg

DSC_0829_zps392c395e.jpg

Marc from the defender center has a few 4x4 perenties in stock theylook in very good nick.

I know they have some over there now, I can't comment on the condition of them, I know they were purchased unseen, but he may have dropped on lucky and got some good examples.

I know they have some over there now, I can't comment on the condition of them, I know they were purchased unseen, but he may have dropped on lucky and got some good examples.

Is he the fellow with the Perentie for sale over on MILWEB? In his add he claims he has some that are ready to go & some with minor problems need sorting for a reduced rate......

Matt

I remember when these vehicles first came out. They were exclusive to the 51st Battalion the Far North Queensland Regiment, who I served with for three years, the Pilbara Regiment (Western Australia) and Norforce (Northern Territory). These three units were dedicated Army Reserve Units with small full time staff detachments. Employing mainly indigenous soldiers, these were pure long range recon vehicles designed to endure the rigors of remote Australian terrain. When they first came out, I was posted to the 1st Battalion Recon Platoon (fulltime) and we were issued with the stock standard vehicles. We hated and envied the Reserve soldiers with these show pony trucks. The Isuzu motored landrovers were great. We took them to Somalia and never had an issue with them. Great vehicles.

Ok, sorry to bore you with the photos, but here is another photo of Landrover. The Somali gent in the glasses was ranked the number two in the Somali terrorist organisation at the time. Second only too General Adid. Here we are posing as a senior military attache meeting and greeting with the local war lords. The gent with the glasses came to an untimely end two weeks after this photo was taken. We were all posing as senior ranking officers, when in actual fact, the guys he is talking too are all intel officers. I was merely the hired gun for the day, but managed to get a photo of the proceedings. Another successful mission for the Landrovers.

Regards, OZITIM

slameeting.jpg

Ok, sorry to bore you with the photos, but here is another photo of Landrover. The Somali gent in the glasses was ranked the number two in the Somali terrorist organisation at the time. Second only too General Adid. Here we are posing as a senior military attache meeting and greeting with the local war lords. The gent with the glasses came to an untimely end two weeks after this photo was taken. We were all posing as senior ranking officers, when in actual fact, the guys he is talking too are all intel officers. I was merely the hired gun for the day, but managed to get a photo of the proceedings. Another successful mission for the Landrovers.

Regards, OZITIM

The somali gent with the glasses came to an untimely end, not the Aussie chap sitting on the Rover, He is very much still alive.

I remember when these vehicles first came out. They were exclusive to the 51st Battalion the Far North Queensland Regiment, who I served with for three years, the Pilbara Regiment (Western Australia) and Norforce (Northern Territory). These three units were dedicated Army Reserve Units with small full time staff detachments. Employing mainly indigenous soldiers, these were pure long range recon vehicles designed to endure the rigors of remote Australian terrain. When they first came out, I was posted to the 1st Battalion Recon Platoon (fulltime) and we were issued with the stock standard vehicles. We hated and envied the Reserve soldiers with these show pony trucks. The Isuzu motored landrovers were great. We took them to Somalia and never had an issue with them. Great vehicles.

Mines from 51FNQ. Very well looked after too.

Mines from 51FNQ. Very well looked after too.

The landy in the last photo was used by our Regimental Police. It was the only vehicle taken to Somalia that was configured in that style. The reason why the RP's drove that particular rover was because the RP's had the role of caring for the Battalion mascot (Shetland Pony, the mighty Septimus). The vehicle had to tow Seppy's horse float around and for some reason they used that Rover, instead of a stock standard one.

Your vehicle is from 51FNQR. That's interesting. I am aware that one of the 51 vehicles was written off due to an accident about 15 or more years ago. That was the only vehicle released at auction in that configuration. That vehicle went to auction and was deemed a write off. A gent by the name of Steve Kersly (nickname 'Surat') purchased the damaged vehicle and subsequently stripped it down bolt by bolt and then did a full rebuild to original specs. He had the vehicle for about five years and on sold it. Steve is a Queensland Police officer and I think is currently the officer in charge of the Kowanyama police station. It might be worth given them a ring to find out if its the same vehicle. Either way, he would have to be Australia's expert when it comes to these Landrovers. He is a great bloke too. Tell him that Tim White passed your name on.

Regards, Tim

A few months a go I managed to get hold of one of these

Truck, Surveillance, Lightweight, Winch, MC2 (RFSV)

DSC_0475_zpsac327d8a.jpg

DSC_0477_zps03b568b9.jpg

DSC_0481_zps2ef5240b.jpg

DSC_0498_zpsfdf26a61.jpg

DSC_0472_zps1889a6ef.jpg

Heres a few we got together.

DSC_0514_zps24b82fc7.jpg

DSC_0514_zps24b82fc7.jpg

DSC_0499_zps91257430.jpg

DSC_0500_zpsebb4f939.jpg

DSC_0497_zpsc51f5a81.jpg

Now Im probably being a little pedantic, but the hardtop painted in Auscam in this picture. Where did that come from. When I was a captain at 51, I had the unenviable role of being the Cadet Unit Liason officer. We got sick of signing out our army rovers to them, so I raised some money, purchased a civilian hard top rover and painted in Auscam. I wonder if that is the same vehicle.

Now Im probably being a little pedantic, but the hardtop painted in Auscam in this picture. Where did that come from. When I was a captain at 51, I had the unenviable role of being the Cadet Unit Liason officer. We got sick of signing out our army rovers to them, so I raised some money, purchased a civilian hard top rover and painted in Auscam. I wonder if that is the same vehicle.

Me again! were those photos taken at the Ravenshoe military muster? I put a Saracen on display there years ago. They wanted me to take my Ferret up there last year or the year before. Its one thing to drive up the range in a Rover, and entirely different thing in a Ferret. Im in Cairns!

The landy in the last photo was used by our Regimental Police. It was the only vehicle taken to Somalia that was configured in that style. The reason why the RP's drove that particular rover was because the RP's had the role of caring for the Battalion mascot (Shetland Pony, the mighty Septimus). The vehicle had to tow Seppy's horse float around and for some reason they used that Rover, instead of a stock standard one.

Your vehicle is from 51FNQR. That's interesting. I am aware that one of the 51 vehicles was written off due to an accident about 15 or more years ago. That was the only vehicle released at auction in that configuration. That vehicle went to auction and was deemed a write off. A gent by the name of Steve Kersly (nickname 'Surat') purchased the damaged vehicle and subsequently stripped it down bolt by bolt and then did a full rebuild to original specs. He had the vehicle for about five years and on sold it. Steve is a Queensland Police officer and I think is currently the officer in charge of the Kowanyama police station. It might be worth given them a ring to find out if its the same vehicle. Either way, he would have to be Australia's expert when it comes to these Landrovers. He is a great bloke too. Tell him that Tim White passed your name on.

Hi Tim

No mine was from the first batch of 6 to come out of Townsville, so only de mobbed late last year. The PM land rover its got the side bush bars as fitted to the RFSV did it have anything else different?

The hard top in that picture, is Not a perentie hard top, but a TD5 UK build 110 Defender, with Military mods.

Very rare not many built. less so than the Perentie hard tops.

Hi Tim

No mine was from the first batch of 6 to come out of Townsville, so only de mobbed late last year. The PM land rover its got the side bush bars as fitted to the RFSV did it have anything else different?

I will see if I can find more pics of that vehicle! I know it had different mods to accommodate towing the horse trailer around! I don't think it had the higher roof though.

• 2 months later...