Is this Jerry can worth saving?

marvinthemartian

I've had this can for around 11 years just chucked round the back of the shed, I'm having a bit of a garden clear up to regravel. It's got a good coating of tar over some of it, and rust, but can't find any obvious pin/rust holes so seems to be fairly intact.

SNV86441.jpg

Done a quick search on internet and it appears to be a mystery can most probably used by the USMC. There are no markings on it. Anyone else ever had/got one like it? As you can see the stiffening cross is different to normal cans, the handle has small differences and the cap is the usual type. I've also got an Ameri can too, screw top, but the bottom has rusted out of that, date unknown as yet.

Simon

No markings whatsoever, did peruse the G503 forum which goes into a lot of detail about these so called mystery cans, most likely early American. I'm going to keep it, have got most of the tar off, by blowtorch and finishing of with Nitromors, a wash off with diesel and then petrol, didn't look too bad. Now sent off to sandblasters to clean rust off. Also sent a 1943 Ameri can, with solid sides but the bottom was rusted out, will weld a new bottom piece in, shouldn't look too bad, managed to save the bottom piece with the ICC markings on, so i'll make that part of the new infill piece.

SNV86606.jpg

SNV86591.jpg

The Ameri can.

SNV86592.jpg

The original bottom, rusted out.

SNV86616.jpg

A view inside after I cut out the rusty bottom. Still signs of the original red oxide, or would it have been red lead?

Simon

SNV86605.jpg

• 1 month later...
Hello,

here a page with good informations

http://sdkfz7.free.fr/ejerrycan.htm

Erik

Wow that looks spot on - it looks just like the early german can and the markings could be painted rather than pressed!

It also looks like the early Italian one on the same site - http://sdkfz7.free.fr/eitalie.htm

EDIT: Reading further it must be the Italian one as the early german ones still had some pressings. Nice one Erik!

Edited by Lauren Child