AEC Matador 853

NickAbbott

NICK the list of the seventeen petrol AEC MATADORS has now given me a link to what was to happen to them

some were sold before 1948 some stayed in service like 085113 in 1948 it got the postwar number 86 yy 72 l now need to check the others

REGARDS WALLY

Wally, I've attached the rest of the document if it's of any interest, as it's dated 1943, and covers all chassis numbers up to about 8000, and what type they were. The log card I got from the RLC had another petrol Matador on it aswell as mine, if that is of any interest, which was 8531701, which got 95 YY 39, and was disposed of in June 1959. My one ended up with 95 YY 47.

Grasshopper, I think it did a lot of unusual recoveries - one of the pictures I have from Coussens shows it recovering a tractor on it's side in a trench!

Nick

Chilwell-30_960.pdf

NICK thank you for that l have some details on matadors from chassis 001 to chassis 8680 this comprises of wartime cenus number post war number and the civilian owner at the time of collecting this information in the early 90s these are the army ones RAF ones from chassis 9281 to chassis 10737 as well as some of the export mark 2s l have some RN ones

as well thank you again

REGARDS WALLY

• 2 weeks later...

A couple few pictures...

One of the most distinctive things about petrol Matadors, is the autovac. When we first looked at the lorry, the autovac looked like it had a small amount of rust on the bottom, and it held petrol, although it did weep a bit. The fuel stayed in long enough to be able to get the engine running, and drive it to the low loader. 3 months later, it leaked pretty badly, and a few months after that, this is what the bottom looked like, after a bit of poking! The pile of rust came out of the bottom of the tank.

S1052185.jpg

The autovac has been rebuilt - it's basically a new tank, with all the old fittings and was made by these people, using the same techniques as originally used - http://www.autovac.co.uk/

S1052782.jpg

Having removed the autovac, it exposes the plate that has been riveted over the location of the original vent, which appears to have been removed when the petrol conversion was done.

S1052172.jpg

Nick

• 1 month later...

Time for a few more pictures.

The fuel tank was steam cleaned inside, and pressure tested for leaks - some of the original sign writing was still present, although not all of it unfortunately, but it was traced before the tank was cleaned up. I have also managed to obtain a new gauge from ebay, as the face was missing from the one fitted. The photo also shows a few other metal cab components, which have been blasted and given a couple of coats of bonda primer.

S1053188.jpg

The wings are pretty good, although they have been repaired before, so instead of making them perfect, I have repaired the rusted sections, and left the original repairs. Most of the repaired sections will be hidden when they are put back on anyway.

S1053018.jpg

When the lorry was originally picked up, the radiator leaked, so an overhauled radiator was obtained from ebay fairly cheaply. Thh bottom tank was removed to check the tubes, which were all completely clear. A new coat of paint, and it's as good as new!

S1053405.jpg

More pictures soon.

Nick

• 1 month later...
Wally, I've attached the rest of the document if it's of any interest, as it's dated 1943, and covers all chassis numbers up to about 8000, and what type they were. The log card I got from the RLC had another petrol Matador on it aswell as mine, if that is of any interest, which was 8531701, which got 95 YY 39, and was disposed of in June 1959. My one ended up with 95 YY 47.

Grasshopper, I think it did a lot of unusual recoveries - one of the pictures I have from Coussens shows it recovering a tractor on it's side in a trench!

Nick

Hi I have just joined the forum and I'm very interested in this cab renovation. There seems to be gaps in the chasis numbers show in this document. The Mat we have is number 0853 6614 this is in one of the gaps the numbers ending at 0853 6602 and starting again with chasis 0853 7126 !!!! Why would this be - RAF,RN or export production. My father bought and registered this Mat in 1971 to use as a timber crane. Any info on production date, use, demob etc would be gratefully appreciated.

Also has any one carried out a full power steering conversion?

Thanks very much for that. How were you able to come back with that info so quickly?

Any idea how I can find out more information such as

cab builder - I have an idea it was Park Royal

Service branch

Auction date- I believe it belonged to Gould Timber Merchants, Fazely, Staffordshire and they brought it with a couple of others at auction probably late 1960's

Anything else interesting?

TO answer your questions

IN 1992 the members of the AEC SOCIETY asked if they could compile a list of the AEC matadors from the B VEHICLE RECORDS which at that time l held at the former MUSEUEM OF ARMY TRANSPORT with other information they had gathered

from other sources this was then made into a book one of which l was given as far as l know the book was not offered for sale to the public in its present form it is very quick to locate details of a matador but there is one part that makes even easier that is the contract lists which did not form part of the compiled book as to who built the cab you are best contacting

THE BRITISH COMMERCIAL MUSEUM at king street Leyland Lancashire PR 25 2 LE who hold the build records as to the who used your truck while in military service l think you will never know as these details as far as l know are not recorded

as to its date of release and where it was sold these will be recorded on a b vehicle key card Held now at the RLC MUSEUM DEEPCUT

Thanks for the info. After a chat with my father it turns out it was one of two Goold Timber bought from Ruddington Auction a few months before he bought it and registered it, so it was obviously still in service till the late 60's.

Has any one one here built a Park Royal Cab from scratch?

I've been told a guy in the Netherlands recently sold two Matadors that had been in storage over there for decades with mint cabs to someone in Scotland!!!!!!!:wow:

If you are wanting to build a cab from scratch, the wood should be fairly straight forward, but there is also a fair amount of metalwork that supports the wood and fittings (not least the windscreens). Here is the lower cab metal framework - all these parts were supplied by AEC, with the chassis, along with the bonnet top and sides.

DSCF2762.jpg

There is obviously more to it than this!

The above picture shows the lower framework from my cab, after being dismantled, blasted and after a coat of bonda primer. The rear section is fine, and some of the front to rear sections are ok, but one has completely rotted away at one point, and one of the others is holey all the way along and will need a lot of work to rebuilt it. The main rot seems to be where the cable trunking was fixed to the framework. I assume that it allowed a lot of dirt and mud to collect, and hold in the moisture.

Nick

• 5 months later...

Not updated progress for a while, so here is a bit of an update, as there has been a fair amount.

Steady progress was made on taking the cab apart, and cleaning up the engine and surrounding areas. This picture shows the metal work still in place, but with most of the wood all removed, apart from the back of the cab.

DSCF2579.jpg

Cab metalwork and all wood now removed and some cleaning and painting done.

DSCF2879.jpg

This is the framework for the distinctive Weymann roof, or at least what is left of it - there was quite a lot of fibreglass holding it all together, as it had been repaired in the past. Some of the wood was completely missing. There are a lot more curved pieces of wood than in the Park Royal cab roof. Other than the roof, the rest of the cab structure looks pretty similar to the Park Royal cabs.

DSCF2115.jpg

More to follow shortly.

Nick

Just at the point of having nearly all the cab in pieces, and a lot of the easily removed mechanical parts off, we got about a months notice to leave the storage location. And to make it more complex, the lorry had to be drivable to easily get it into it's new location. So the cab metalwork was hastily blasted, and painted (see previous posting), and some new front panels made, and assembled (along with the existing metal framework), and the engine was put back together enough to get it running.

DSCF2949.jpg

Engine ressembled and running, fuel being supplied by the new autovac, mounted on the bulkhead, being cooled by the overhauled radiator.

DSCF2951.jpg

As the lorry needed to be unloaded in the road, I took the opportunity to tax it for the first time in 20 years! It now also has an age related number plate. This will obviously also be it's last ever tax disc, when they are phased out later this year.

DSCF2952.jpg

Still a few more to come.

Nick

Since the move, the cab metalwork has been removed again, and cleaning the front of the chassis has been completed, along with cleaning the engine. Engine now painted - the colour used is is pretty close to the colour that was originally on the engine, when it was all cleaned up.

IMG_0721.jpg

Also managed to get a few things that were needed - a replacement steering wheel, as the old one was fairly rusted, and had quite a few fairly big holes in it.

IMG_0531.jpg

And some replacement tyres - new old stock.

IMG_0541.jpg

One of the parts from the original tool kit is still with the lorry, the starting handle - do any other Matador owners have still have the starting handle it came with?

IMG_0288.jpg

Nick

And finally for today, the front of the chassis is now green, and looks much nicer for it!

IMG_1003.jpg

IMG_1005.jpg

Still need to get the wheels off again and give the hubs a coat of green, but there is now a solid base to start building the cab up from, which can hopefully make progress over the winter.

Nick

Ian, no the brake valve hasn't been apart. It was working before, and having cleaned it up, it should come off easily if it needs to at a later date. We'll only really be able to check everything works ok once it all goes back together, and be driven properly - so a good while yet I should think!

Cheers

Nick

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Done a bit more over the winter, but after finishing painting the front of the chassis, the weather hasn't been that good for painting, so not a huge amount of visible progress. So here is a picture of the chassis, once the hubs were also painted.

IMG_1064.jpg

Radiator also coming along nicely - been pressure tested and had a long drill run down each of the tubes to make sure they are clear.

IMG_1077.jpg

Cleaning the sump has revealed a painted number on the bottom - not sure if it's the sump assembly number, as I don't have a parts manual for the petrol engine, and the petrol sump is different to the one fitted to the 7.7 diesel engine.

IMG_1425.jpg

Nick