Strange Bedford MWD mud flaps?

Danny P

The mud flaps on my bedford MWD seem to have strange dimensions. They are approximately 12 inch wide (30.5 cm) and 15 3/4 inch long (40 cm). They look original to me because of the folded edge and steel cable in it.

Shouldn't they be wider and what should then be the width? Or were different sizes used on the bedford MWD? Could it be from another vehicle?

mudguard2.JPG

Detail of the cable into the folded edge (damaged corner)

mudguard1.JPG

Those dimensions look familiar to me - we have just done a set of these for a customer.

Remember that some variations in dimensions are likely - even on the originals. These sorts of items would have been subbed out to whoever!

If anything yours are perhaps a tad longer than the ones we did but see above.....

I will check

Now things are becomming clear to me! I have posted many questions about the construction of the frame work and wheel arch thinking they were not right but now I see it is because of the mud flaps.

If somebody would like to have my mud flaps for the right vehicle then I would like to exchange them for the wider bedford MWD mud flaps! An other option could be that someone could offer me four bedford MWD mud flaps.

Thanks John

Guy, thank you for the offer! I will first need to know some other dimensions, hopefully from John. I will send you a PM as soon as I have all the dimensions.

John, would it be possible to do a measurement at your mud guards? I didn't at Maurices last week as I wasn't aware of the incorrect mud guards on mine.

I would like to know the following dimensions (1-4) demonstrating in the sketch below. The intention of number three is the beginning of the rounding. And the thickness of the plate of coarse!

How does the edge look like? Is it bent to both sides of the flap? The incorrect mud flap I have is bent to both sides of the flap? It is a rounding which can be seen on both sides. Is the bent edge on the MW the same as the QL?

sketch mud guards.JPG

PB030713.jpg

Edited by Danny P

Hello Danny,

The mudflaps have a rolled edge around the outside, its rolled around 1/8" bar (4). The two bottom corners of the flap have a 1 1/2" radius on them (3). I had mine remade locally, i had the plates made to the above dimensions and then trimed the top corners to suit where they were fitting on the truck to leave no gaps for the water to get through, each one was different (1-2).

I do you a drawing if your struggling.

john

Edited by rippo

Thanks to you all for the information! Woa2 you must be right, they must be from a WOT2 looking at some pictures on the internet. Here's one:

fordson-wot2-06.jpg

You can see that the end of the Y-shape iron is closer to the edge of the flap compared to a bedford MW. Also the roundings are larger (I measured about 2 3/4" radius at mine)

Here's one of a bedford MW:

bedford_mw_infantry.jpg

You can see the smaller radius John is referring to (1 1/2") and the end of the Y-shape iron.

There remain two questions:

• In the above picture it looks to me that the width of the bent edge is more than 1/8" John was mentioning. I measured about 3/8" on the WOT2 flap which, to me, looks simular on the bedford picture above

• how about the other side of the bedford MW mud guard? Is it completely flat or is there a thickening visible from the bent edge like the WOT2 flap as shown below?

mudguard3.JPG

How interesting, I learn more and more! I wonder, that steel cable in the WOT2 mudflap in my first picture, is that your 1/8" bar John? In other words, is it left behind in the mudflap because of the folding production? I suppose this steel cable or, as you wish, this 1/8 bar would then also be present in the Bedford mudflap or is it empty inside? It is my last question John!

How interesting, I learn more and more! I wonder, that steel cable in the WOT2 mudflap in my first picture, is that your 1/8" bar John? In other words, is it left behind in the mudflap because of the folding production? I suppose this steel cable or, as you wish, this 1/8 bar would then also be present in the Bedford mudflap or is it empty inside? It is my last question John!

Yes that is correct Danny, it it called a "wired edge" as the plate it wrapped around the wire, and the wire is left inside the edge for stenght. how flat the plate is after the edge has been formed depends how good the fabricator is at making the edge especially around the raduis at the bottom. I had brass wire put inside mine. I think it's the same size as the wried edge on the front wings.

John

Edited by rippo

[ATTACH=CONFIG]83495[/ATTACH]

Yes, that is my Ford WOT2 truck, photographed in my drive in Reading (Reading bus in background). Your mud flap is identical to the ones on my truck, less the Y shaped support bracket. It could be that the REME depot repairing your Bedford used WOT2 flaps where the correct ones weren't available?

• 4 years later...

Hi I am new to this site my name is Dave Minor I am restoring a Bedford  MWD 1943 and I need someone who can make me some mudflaps with the rolled edge, they are 16ins long and 14ins wide. If any one could help me I that would be great and may thanks for any help you can give me.

I am  putting  some photos of the mud flaps and of my bedford.

P1010007 (9).JPG

P1010008.JPG

P1010011.JPG

P1010001 (5).JPG

P1010001 (4).JPG

P1010001 (10).JPG

P1010001 (14).JPG

P1010004 (4).JPG

P1010003 (12).JPG

• Like 2