This will make you cry

Snapper

I saw a crop of pictures from the Philippines last Friday. The government were holding a big ceremony to start off a huge bout of smallarms destruction. They do these things regularly when they have captured enough stuff off the various malcontents around the contry. For Vietnam era fans there were several hundred early model M16s going into the mincer along with some curious home made things built from bits of AK and IKEA. But worst of all was a vast number of Garand rifles. It's a shame someone doesn't let these governments know what a good deal they would have going if they only sold the things for deactivation. There must be thousands of Garands and other gems knocking around in countries supplied weapons by the US in the immediate post war.

You make a really interesting point. I am not a gun collector, Mrs B is not a fan of firearms and begs to differ on my view of them; but the idea that all this history goes into a mincer for a good purpose on one level, there is an argument that these governments could make some good ready cash from recycling weapons to western collectors. Perhaps a lot of them do already, as you have illustrated. Fancy setting up an imports busines, Jack?