Driven frontaxle Massey Ferguson

hooidonk

Hello everyone,

After World War II, the Italian factory Manual/Selene decided to make conversion kits for tractors, to convert it from 2wd to 4wd.

Because the market asked for it, especially for working in the mountains.

They made the transmissionhousings by their own and bought WWII frontaxles, to make their kits.

We have an Massey Ferguson tractor 155, with such an conversion kit.

But it wasn't steering very well and their was a lot of space between the parts.

Taking it apart, learned their was something really wrong with it, one bearing was completely broken.

I have already found out it is a split axle, but can you please help me further?

Can anybody decide the brand or type and are there still spares available?

b5g6.jpg

4kmh.jpg

Hoping for your reaction!

Best wishes,

Marten

Hi Marten,

I assume you are not in the UK, from looking at your photo. Back in the early 1970's I converted two Massey Ferguson tractors to 4WD, I think they were a 165 and a 178 models. The kits came from a company called Robert Eden and I know they were associated with Selene. The axles were pretty crude and not a split type as you have. Just found this link;

http://www.cheffins.co.uk/news/four-wheel-traction---a-brief-history-237-vintage It looks like Robert Eden company actually produced their version of the Selene, so not much of a help to you. I have seen articles referring to Selene 4WD in some of the tractor magazines in recent past.

regards, Richard

Was it Roadless who made up front wheel drive tractors at one time using banjo axles from GMCs? Instantly recognisable from the diff cover plate :D. I saw one at a Cheffins sale, it looked like they had used the original diff. and swivel housings and simply shortened the axle tube and half shaft on one side.

It may be that others used WW2 gearing and axle shafts within their own casing - I wonder if this is what Selene did, as the axle case looks much heavier than those fitted to the average WW2 truck.

Hello,

Thanks to your replies, I have found another board of the blue tractors: http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000050.html

This Ford has the same axle as we have, so it is a Selene conversion indeed.

I don't have it quite sure at this moment, but what I understand from that topic, is that in those years of building (late 60's / early 70's), Selene used the back ends of the GMC axles and made an own inner section for it.

I have registered there too, to ask the people over there, but it takes some time to get my profile activated.

When I know some more, I'll post it over here.

Thanks and see you!

Best wishes,

Marten

I thought I'd replied to this yesterday but it must have got lost trying to find the page :nut:

I believe this to be a Selene axle or Schindler as they bought out Selene in the 70's. If you google Selene 4WD or Schindler 4WD then you should be able to scroll down the list until you find the pictures site, have a look here.

Edited by super6

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

@Super6

Sorry, I didn't reply on your post.

I've tried it and there is a lot to find indeed!

I don't have the tractor near my house, so I can't spend every free moment on it.

But yesterday I was at it again and investigated the axle once again with the new information.

I have found a number and some marks on the bearing, it calls 30305A F.D FAG

I'm not sure about that first 3, it could also be an 8, 5 or an 'S'

The sizes of the bearing are about 62mm outer ring, 25mm inner ring and a height of about 19mm.

Is this a bearing which sounds familiar to someone?

Best wishes,

Marten

Was it Roadless who made up front wheel drive tractors at one time using banjo axles from GMCs? Instantly recognisable from the diff cover plate :D. I saw one at a Cheffins sale, it looked like they had used the original diff. and swivel housings and simply shortened the axle tube and half shaft on one side.

It may be that others used WW2 gearing and axle shafts within their own casing - I wonder if this is what Selene did, as the axle case looks much heavier than those fitted to the average WW2 truck.

The early ones were GMC axles, shortened as you say and the gearing was equalled out in the sandwich plate/transfer box. Later Selene then had their own ratio diffs made up so the gearing in the box was bigger and stronger.

The early E1A Majors were vastly underpowered for the 4WD conversions as they used to rely on a certain amount of wheelslip to keep the engine revs up but the extra weight and traction of the Selene axles transfered all the power into grip and put them on their knees ! 6cyl conversions etc started to appear from Roadless and County as well as double engined machines such as the Doe Triple D.

I'll try and dig out a pic I have of an early Selene/GMC axle.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

Chris, thanks for your reaction, I've found it!

Desert Rat, sorry I missed your reaction, when it was on another page.

Thank you for your interresting reply and I'm looking forward to your picture!

In the meanwhile, we have been working further on the axle.

The tip of Pat helped me greatfully to get the rings of the bearing removed.

One round of welding and the outer ring almost fell out of it's housing.

But one kingpin is badly damaged, because the bearing was nothing more then two rusty rings.

j7p.JPG

vcse.jpg

Now we doubt if we should repair this old one or look around for another one.

Are such part still available somewhere?

Best wishes,

Marten

Hello Chris and Robin,

do you know some sites or shops where I can ask if these parts are still new available?

Yes, welding a new pin could be an good option.

Or just turn the worned piece away and mount a new bush on it?

And are there still manuals or books from these axles?

It could be very handy to know how some bearings should be adjusted.

Greetings,

Marten