Captured Argentine G Wagen / RAF Cosford Museum

robin craig

Question

I was doing some casual research and what I recall as a tan / green cam scheme has been changed to overall black or dark blue with orange horizontal stripe on the G wagen at Cosford Cold War display.

There is footage of what I recall as the original scheme on you tube at the Cobbaton collection.

Any info / knowledge anyone can shed on this scheme

R

9 answers to this question

I do know one is near Chatham, I saw it a while back. When the Military went to get spares for I belive four , that were brought back, Mercedes declined stating the vehicles were stolen! The Argentinians hadn't paid for them. The UK reply to was that Mercedes should refer the matter to Buenos Aires.

Well, I have done a ton of digging, yes I suffer from a sleep problem at times.

From another forum I have pieced together what appears to be the most thorough history of this vehicle so far and the best explanation as to its current colour scheme.

It was captured by the Ghurkas and somehow ended up in the UK after being brought back by sea. 18 Squadron RAF obtained it and took it by air to Germany and it was used by the OC of the Squadron as a daily hack vehicle.

During that time it was stolen (loose definition) by another RAF unit 230 Sqn and repainted in a Tiger stripe scheme, presumably to be part of the Tiger Meet event at the time and or because 230 Sqn uses the tiger in its identity.

Upon retrieval by 18 Sqn it was repainted in the black with the orange stripe as this was the Sqn colours. The Sqn was relocated back to the UK at this time. Attempts to UK road register it with DVLA failed and hence it was given to Cosford museum.

(Why they didnt go the CV route i'm not sure)

That is what I can piece together so far and all is open to being challenged.

R

Edited by robin craig

Attempts to UK road register it with DVLA failed and hence it was given to Cosford museum.

Probably because when the DVLA punched in the VIN number in their databases it came up as having been stolen.... :D

Saw one here in Haddenham, Cambridgeshire last year, the Driver told me a similar story about getting parts and said he couldn't use the chassis number for getting them as it came up as stolen ..... However it was on the road...................mmmm.....doesn't mean he was legal though! Nice looking vehicle though, he hadn't painted it. Just looked brown and sandy coloured

Preston & Tim Isaacs have the ex general Menendez long wheel base example in the Cobbatton Combat Collection, and the Fleet Air Arm reserve have a pair in their reserve collection, all three are in their original paint schemes. The FAA reserve ones were dug out for the Falklands 30 at the 2012 airshow.

The Isaacs one is on you tube and I have asked the FAAM for permission too use their image on this thread.

Despite the fact I now reside in the colonies some may realise I did originate in the UK and as such have some inkling to some of the military history from the UK.

A local collection is pondering on how to tie in their G wagen to their cold war collection theme. I had suggested the Argentine G Wagen connection to their BV202 as being a pair to have a tenuous link if it was portrayed in that scheme. They had no idea of the connection.

It was during that search that I came across the Cosford vehicle and started this thread / rant.

R

Well, I have done a ton of digging, yes I suffer from a sleep problem at times.

From another forum I have pieced together what appears to be the most thorough history of this vehicle so far and the best explanation as to its current colour scheme.

It was captured by the Ghurkas and somehow ended up in the UK after being brought back by sea. 18 Squadron RAF obtained it and took it by air to Germany and it was used by the OC of the Squadron as a daily hack vehicle.

During that time it was stolen (loose definition) by another RAF unit 230 Sqn and repainted in a Tiger stripe scheme, presumably to be part of the Tiger Meet event at the time and or because 230 Sqn uses the tiger in its identity.

Upon retrieval by 18 Sqn it was repainted in the black with the orange stripe as this was the Sqn colours. The Sqn was relocated back to the UK at this time. Attempts to UK road register it with DVLA failed and hence it was given to Cosford museum.

That is what I can piece together so far and all is open to being challenged.

R

Pretty much this, although the current scheme was applied before the squadron moved to Laarbruch - late 80's/early 90's.

And its black and red, not orange.