off to normandy

paulob1

going on a D-day tour, want to go and see some of the history of it, been reading a few books and getting all clued up on it...never read much about it to be fair...it was a very interesting period for us all...and a hell of a problematic set of commanders leaders and weather men...ike had a terrible job to do and I can only say he did it really well, well that's what I get from all the books so far...cant wait to get to see the beaches and the mulberry's etc...museums, cemeteries, bit of a whistle stop tour but cant be helped this first time.,..

Have a good one we learn something new each time we visit.

going on a D-day tour, want to go and see some of the history of it, been reading a few books and getting all clued up on it...never read much about it to be fair...it was a very interesting period for us all...and a hell of a problematic set of commanders leaders and weather men...ike had a terrible job to do and I can only say he did it really well, well that's what I get from all the books so far...cant wait to get to see the beaches and the mulberry's etc...museums, cemeteries, bit of a whistle stop tour but cant be helped this first time.,..

The new Overlord museum at Coleville is very good, with a great collection of vehicles, but also check out some of the older, smaller museums which have some real treasures.

The Longues battery is also worth a look, as are the cemeteries, British at Bayeux, and the American one of course, which has a new and very good visitor centre. Then there's Omaha and Pointe du Hoc so lots to keep you busy.

I don't know quite what I expected from Omaha but it felt like a bit of an anti climax...good friterie though!

Enjoy

Tim

yes it was a really good taster, we did all the beaches and arromanches plus four of the museums. We did not do the new Overlord Museum, its apparently on the tour for next time...it was a great trip, very busy and has inspired me to do a few more tours....

highly recomend people doing this...

Yes I have liddel Harts books, Antony Beevers and one by the german tank commander whos name slips my memory, bluthenmal or similar...its very interesting stuff and will be good to see the ground...

Would that be the author of "Achtung Panzer" by Heinz Guderian......... ????

If you have never been to Normandy, then I have to say that I, along with several of our members did a coach tour over there "out of season". We were all agreed that it was nothing like our usual visits over the 6th of June, when there are lots of re-enactors and vehicles to be seen, it certainly enhances an otherwise normal tourist experience. ( We of course are over there to express our gratitude to the men and women who made such great sacrifices to ensure freedom of determination that is afforded to us today.) Just go into the cemeteries, read a few names and say thank you.

search out Graignes and the derelict but preserved church ....it's a little town out in the countryside sort of behind Carentan .....

due to the various foul ups (bad weather /big winds / pilots getting lost etc) that happened as the US Paras got dropped on the night of 5th/6th June .a load of them ended up in the vicinity of this little town....the towns folk and in particular 2 farm girls helped out by hiding them in the church and other places in the village....

....unfortunately they were eventually detected by the Germans and an SS unit dispatched to eliminate them ....what happened over the next few days is not widely nor generally known about but ....is well worth finding out about :)

fantastic story, how do I find out more...my eldest son said he would like to go over so likely i think we will do a drive over sometime before next years big celebrations and see what we can find out...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Graignes

here you go mate :)

Edit: also as Tony suggested find Tilly Sur Seulle and only just along the road from there about a mile or so away the village of Lingevres where a fair ol' tank battle took place for the crossroads..

...If you happen to have (or could borrow in time to go?) the 'Normandy Then and Now' book or the 'Panzers in Normandy' book both from After The Battle Publications it'd be an immense help to seeing and understanding what happened in many of those small and today, very quiet and peaceful little French country villages :):)

Edited by RattlesnakeBob